Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #17,896 of 40,611
I will have the Phantom and Legend X for review tomorrow. I will see how they sound against the JHA Lola that I am sending back unless they let me keep it one more week.

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #17,898 of 40,611
RE: CIEM concerns

At home, I have 2 KEF LS50W & 2 JL Audio E112. It does everything I want and more. I love my isine20 but I kinda feel like it’s time to take a step up; in a more portable way
I have a couple of old KEFs from the 1980's and they are fairly neutral. Which is why I like them. Even my home theater KEFs are neutral. The Legend (when I tried it) was not neutral. My Zeus's are neutral (to a point) but the Phantom I had was warm.

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #17,899 of 40,611
I have a couple of old KEFs from the 1980's and they are fairly neutral. Which is why I like them. Even my home theater KEFs are neutral. The Legend (when I tried it) was not neutral. My Zeus's are neutral (to a point) but the Phantom I had was warm.

i like your being steady and in love with zeus

you and me here, i sometimes feel like we are the only 2 happily married guys with Zeus who just stay put and enjoy our current setup/marriage (and not looking all the time to upgrade/move up)

besides , a 'divorce' from Zeus would be a costly procedure , so probably better leaving it to those with money to burn/insane in the brain

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #17,900 of 40,611

you and me here, i sometimes feel like we are the only 2 happily married guys with Zeus who just stay put and enjoy our current setup/marriage (and not looking all the time to upgrade/move up)

besides , a 'divorce' from Zeus would be a costly procedure , so probably better leaving it to those with money to burn/insane in the brain

There are others, we are just quiet...

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #17,901 of 40,611
Guys, I can now confirm that Jack and I will be showing the Valkyrie and Wraith at SoCal. You will definitely want to be there.

Wow! I definitely want to listen to both Valkyrie and Wraith. It is going to be crowded at EE booth for sure. :L3000:

EE will be my first stop Sat morning!

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #17,903 of 40,611

Olddude is the Zeus hardcord on here, he has xra and now got massdrop Zeus

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #17,904 of 40,611

Perfect. I tend to not gravitate towards the signature of a bookshelf speaker’s neutral tone. Which i was kinda thinking the Zeus’s signature was most akin if to.

I’m Audeze > Focal because of the bass. I’m super into the well mixed reference level sat/sub.

I think I do have to check out the legend X first. Especially as I primarily listen to Edm but also everything.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #17,907 of 40,611
Just received my loaner Legend X and Phantom! Wow! Legend X sounds great and gives JH Audio Lola a serious run for its money! Have not heard Phantom yet.

Phantom sounds great too. More like Lola in that they both have realistic natural sound. It will be a tough comparison between LX and Phantom as they both sound good. I had this problem with the Lola and Roxanne, but the Lola won eventually. Who wins this round? It will take some more music to determine the outcome. Good thing I am on vacation in a mountain cabin for a week!

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #17,908 of 40,611
Just received my loaner Legend X and Phantom! Wow! Legend X sounds great and gives JH Audio Lola a serious run for its money! Have not heard Phantom yet.

Phantom sounds great too. More like Lola in that they both have realistic natural sound. It will be a tough comparison between LX and Phantom as they both sound good. I had this problem with the Lola and Roxanne, but the Lola won eventually. Who wins this round? It will take some more music to determine the outcome. Good thing I am on vacation in a mountain cabin for a week!

Enjoy! Sounds like a blast!

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #17,909 of 40,611

I think Empire Ears may be winning to be the companion to my JH Audio Angie. The issue is I am not very creative, so picking a custom design is tough for me. Blue is my favorite color and I thought of doing the right in red and left in blue. I came up with this, but will have both emblems either gold or silver.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I believe the actual product color is different from the web design page as I don't know that they are exactly the same, except black. Maybe starry night, but that one would not look good on red in my opinion.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #17,910 of 40,611
I think Empire Ears may be winning, because JH Audio IEMs are different and I already have JH Audio Angie and want a different sound to complement it. The issue is I am not very creative, so picking a custom design is tough for me. Blue is my favorite color and I thought of doing the right in red and left in blue. I came up with this, but will have both emblems either gold or silver.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I believe the actual product color is different from the web design page as I don't know that they are exactly the same, except black. Maybe starry night, but that one would not look good on red in my opinion.

That's a good choice. I have a set of LX's to compliment my Layla's. Both amazing IEM's for totally different reason's.

I'd go crazy and get some signature designs or transparent smoke, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back