Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #17,206 of 40,611
Go custom and never look back.

Customs for me have been a nightmare I'm sad to say (and that includes Empire Ears previous incarnation of Earwerkz). Each time turns into a marathon of refits which never quite seems to solve it. I never get a decent seal from it. I suspect it's the impressions somehow.

I had custom made for Spartans and Phantoms that fit perfectly to my ears with good musics. :smile_phones:

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #17,207 of 40,611
Customs for me have been a nightmare I'm sad to say (and that includes Empire Ears previous incarnation of Earwerkz). Each time turns into a marathon of refits which never quite seems to solve it. I never get a decent seal from it. I suspect it's the impressions somehow.

Yeah i would guess bad impressions, odd.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #17,210 of 40,611
This is my second day with LX and I love almost everything about it except one aspect. It looks good,
excellent ergonomic as it fits like glove. This IEM sounds so organic and velvety smooth while maintaining
amazing resolution and clarity with full of emotion. This is one IEM which can handle the pure raw frequency
of R2R2K while other IEMs sound so fatiguing. It's an irony while others boast about its bass as key strength,
I find it somewhat a turnoff. Anything excessive can't generally be a good thing but if you are a basshead,
you need to buy this. EE, pls release LX 2 with the normal bass.

Give it some time to burn in, I'm sure you'll be happy when it does.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #17,211 of 40,611
OK, I'm really jazzed today; I got shipping notice on my Zeus XR that I ordered on Black Friday!! So, how long is the burn-in period on them?
50 is nice. 100 is nicer. But don't worry about it, just give it 20-30 and then use it as it finishes.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #17,212 of 40,611
Burn in does not exist >. >

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #17,213 of 40,611
My impression is the same as yours. Both LX and Phantom too thick and colored, felt congested to me and veiled treble. I had SE846 flashbacks from both. Zeus on the other hand is a great IEM indeed. Different strokes for different folks!

Same feelings.

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #17,214 of 40,611
Give it some time to burn in, I'm sure you'll be happy when it does.

I am already beginning to dig this iem. Although it didn't quite work out with R2R2K but with the substantial bass reduction via EQ on N8
this one sends *most* of my music to next dimension. I like what I hear. It defines true meaning of being organic but this one's quite picky of its source.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #17,215 of 40,611
Had a chance to try out the Hermes with the SP1000M and SE100. I actually prefer the SE100 with the Hermes, feels more balanced and sounded "bigger". Used stock cables, 3.5mm unbalanced. That'll be my next DAP for these bad boys.

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #17,216 of 40,611
Pinch pins lightly with round nose pliers, squishing them just the lightest bit. It will widen the pins slightly to make up the size. Be careful not to squeeze too hard in case you make the pins too big.
End up going this route since PS more or less said the same. Half an hour with pinching to get good fit. Now it's nice and snug, almost at an EA level.

Had a chance to try out the Hermes with the SP1000M and SE100. I actually prefer the SE100 with the Hermes, feels more balanced and sounded "bigger". Used stock cables, 3.5mm unbalanced. That'll be my next DAP for these bad boys.
I'm guessing that you like the sound of Sabre's over AKM.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #17,217 of 40,611
End up going this route since PS more or less said the same. Half an hour with pinching to get good fit. Now it's nice and snug, almost at an EA level.

I'm guessing that you like the sound of Sabre's over AKM.

The weird thing is I absolutely disliked the synergy between my first DAP with my Hermes, and it had a Sabre DAC, I think it's more in line with the tuning of the chipset. The AKM just sounded a little more laid back and warm, and the Hermes were already warm itself.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #17,218 of 40,611
I spent much of today listening to Legend X on the new @Shanling M5s, a dual AK4493EQ setup. The pairing was amazingly smooth, musical, and deeply organic.

2SVDYJWl.jpg

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #17,220 of 40,611
Want to change from my Whiplash cable on my Zeus XR ADEL to something better with 4.4 mm TRRRS balanced termination for use with an iBasso DAP. Any suggestions ign the under $300 range??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back