Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #17,191 of 40,587
This is my second day with LX and I love almost everything about it except one aspect. It looks good,
excellent ergonomic as it fits like glove. This IEM sounds so organic and velvety smooth while maintaining
amazing resolution and clarity with full of emotion. This is one IEM which can handle the pure raw frequency
of R2R2K while other IEMs sound so fatiguing. It's an irony while others boast about its bass as key strength,
I find it somewhat a turnoff. Anything excessive can't generally be a good thing but if you are a basshead,
you need to buy this. EE, pls release LX 2 with the normal bass.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #17,192 of 40,587
This is my second day with LX and I love almost everything about it except one aspect. It looks good,
excellent ergonomic as it fits like glove. This IEM sounds so organic and velvety smooth while maintaining
amazing resolution and clarity with full of emotion. This is one IEM which can handle the pure raw frequency
of R2R2K while other IEMs sound so fatiguing. It's an irony while others boast about its bass as key strength, I find it somewhat
a turnoff. Anything excessive can't generally be a good thing but if you are a basshead, you need to buy this.
EE, pls release LX 2 with the normal bass.

Does the R2R2000 let you EQ down the bass?

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #17,193 of 40,587
That's the thing R2R2K has almost no other function except to play the songs. With N8 I can bring it down so no big issue.
On songs with less bass presence this IEM performs the wonder even so than U18. This is IEM for classical!
I am beginning to adjust my ears a little to this so that's a good sign.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #17,194 of 40,587
That's the thing R2R2K has almost no other function except to play the songs. With N8 I can bring it down so no big issue.
On songs with less bass presence this IEM performs the wonder even so than U18. This is IEM for classical!
I am beginning to adjust my ears a little to this so that's a good sign.
Have you ever tried the Phantom? I had LX over for a few weeks and while I loved them to bits, I kept going back to my Phantom for classical music. Together with Leonidas II it is makes for a transparent and very natural sounding pair with enough space for large scale symphonies. Mind you, I have not heard the U18, which I have been very curious about for classical music as well.

Phantom_LeoII.png

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #17,195 of 40,587
No, I have not tried Phantom. How is it compared to LX in terms of resolution, warmth and sound stage?
Would you say Phantom's everything LX except less bass? That's what I need actually. U18's ultra resolving
with adequate level of everything but lacks the emotion which LX possess. U18 is purely technical IEM which
can work out with nearly anything.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #17,197 of 40,587
I just ordered EA Thor Silver 2 cable hoping to kill some bottom end.
I think spinfit tips also do reduce bass but increase treble. It may work for LX

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #17,199 of 40,587
No, I have not tried Phantom. How is it compared to LX in terms of resolution, warmth and sound stage?
Would you say Phantom's everything LX except less bass? That's what I need actually. U18's ultra resolving
with adequate level of everything but lacks the emotion which LX possess. U18 is purely technical IEM which
Personally, I feel the Phantom are a bit warmer throughout with a more intimate, holographic stage and they have less emphasis on detail, but more on resolution. It is a refined signature, compared to the energy and clarity of the LX. What I love about the Phantom is their mid-range tonality, which is absolutely gorgeous. Woodwinds sound amazing, for instance. They also respond very well to different cables and something like Leonidas II really opens up the stage and greatly increases the transparency.

This might be a very helpful article, as it includes a comparison between the LX and the Phantom (page 2):
https://theheadphonelist.com/introducing-empire-ears-new-flagships-the-phantom-and-legend-x/

I would certainly love to have both, as I think they compliment each other very well, but it does depend on your preferences if the Phantom work for you.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #17,200 of 40,587

If you prefer the LX and U18t’s relative voicings, the Phantom may not be for you. I’d suggest going the route of tip-rolling, then cables. By the way, the Thor Silver II may not be ideal for bass attenuation. In my experience, it in fact warms the bass a tad, along with adding vibrance and refinement to the treble.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #17,201 of 40,587
I just ordered EA Thor Silver 2 cable hoping to kill some bottom end.

cables will not save you if the bass is too much for you , looks like you either get used to the LX bass or sell it and move on to something different

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #17,202 of 40,587
15% off on the site during the namm weekend if you use WISHUWEREHERE at checkout. Now do I go and order a bravado or not? (probably not as universals and I don't play nice and thanks to brexit the pounds in the gutter :frowning2: ) .

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #17,204 of 40,587
U18's ultra resolving...but lacks the emotion which LX possess. U18 is purely technical IEM which

I found the U18t to be emotional but wished for a bit "more." I purchased the A18 thinking things would improve...I was not disappointed. The custom version steps up the engagement and emotion a good bit over the universal experience - imo, this is largely due to the improved bass response, among other enhancements, that i hear in custom form.

I actually worry that in custom form, the LX (which is still my next planned purchase) might be too much and hurt my ears from the pressure (plus, no apex/adel!)

Anyway, my wife really liked the LX too, so I'll probably end up with a universal version for that reason so we can share.:)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #17,205 of 40,587
Go custom and never look back.

Customs for me have been a nightmare I'm sad to say (and that includes Empire Ears previous incarnation of Earwerkz). Each time turns into a marathon of refits which never quite seems to solve it. I never get a decent seal from it. I suspect it's the impressions somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back