Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #17,177 of 40,587
Yeah, I spent thousands trying to find the right stuff..this isnt the cheapest hobby.

Couple of tips: Listen to it when you first get it, make notes. Burn it in, as long as you can do without it. Listen to it again. Be amazed.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #17,179 of 40,587
Is EE iem generally bass heavy? I just bought LX from headfi forum member and cannot wait to hear it.
It just puts the spotlight on bass. It is not about quantity. If the bass is there in the song, it will present it with punch, details and texture.

As others have said, the mids and highs are still there and quite good.

I don't know how many hours your iem has got. But be sure to burn it in for 100 hours or so.

Any body will be pleasantly surprised and taken in by the sound.

As I mentioned earlier, it is not an all rounder but very close to being an all rounder Some tracks, the way it has been mastered sounds a little less enjoyable. But that's on few tracks that I have Most of them play true and is very enjoyable.

I'm not a basshead. But I enjoy good bass when it is in the song. Lx is not your typical basshead iem.

As some have pointed out, u28 and Lx are different and complement each other very well

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #17,180 of 40,587
I have yet to write my review on the Legend X but I will say that to call them a basshead IEM draws such negative connotations, to many folks. I do not think the bass interferes, but it is certainly the focal point of the X. Technically, it is one of the strongest performers in my stable, especially in the sub bass region. The overall bass is more about quality than quantity and surprisingly has ample air around each note. That said, I have had warmer IEMs, the U12's come to mind. The more hours you log on the X the more everything comes into control. The treble has a softer energy but adds to richness. I could see where it's signature might not be for everyone.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #17,181 of 40,587
When Jack handed me an LX to try, I lasted less than a minute with it. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Phantom? Not enough treble and too thick in the mids for my taste. Bass was fine, it was the mids that caused me to sell it. Only good for about 10% of what I listen to.

Zeus XR? Perfect except for some tracks mastered with a bit too little bass or a bit too much treble. Only bad for about 10% of what I listen to. To me the best IEM I've ever used. Head and shoulders over the UERM.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #17,182 of 40,587
When Jack handed me an LX to try, I lasted less than a minute with it. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Phantom? Not enough treble and too thick in the mids for my taste. Bass was fine, it was the mids that caused me to sell it. Only good for about 10% of what I listen to.

Zeus XR? Perfect except for some tracks mastered with a bit too little bass or a bit too much treble. Only bad for about 10% of what I listen to. To me the best IEM I've ever used. Head and shoulders over the UERM.

My impression is the same as yours. Both LX and Phantom too thick and colored, felt congested to me and veiled treble. I had SE846 flashbacks from both. Zeus on the other hand is a great IEM indeed. Different strokes for different folks!

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #17,183 of 40,587
Ahhh- the 846. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it dialed in for me. Even ran it "naked" without inserts.

All of this, of course, also depends on source and type(s) of music.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #17,184 of 40,587
My impression is the same as yours. Both LX and Phantom too thick and colored, felt congested to me and veiled treble. I had SE846 flashbacks from both. Zeus on the other hand is a great IEM indeed. Different strokes for different folks!
Same here too.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #17,185 of 40,587

Zeus owners unite!

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #17,186 of 40,587
Ahhh- the 846. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it dialed in for me. Even ran it "naked" without inserts.

All of this, of course, also depends on source and type(s) of music.
I love the Zeus XIV as well, one of my all-time favorites...SE846 lasted about as long with as the X did with you.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #17,187 of 40,587

Likewise it was pretty much the same for me when i first tried the Legend X

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #17,188 of 40,587
I have the Nemesis and the treble is not veiled in any form at all, so much so I am using the supplied Final tips as other larger bore tips present way to much treble! Interesting to hear this issue with the Legend X though.

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #17,189 of 40,587
I have the Nemesis and the treble is not veiled in any form at all, so much so I am using the supplied Final tips as other larger bore tips present way to much treble! Interesting to hear this issue with the Legend X though.

From what I can faintly recall, the Legend X has a more refined treble presentation. It has as much - if not more - clarity, detail retrieval and extension, but presents it in a smoother, more effortless manner. It's pretty much a case of having your cake and eating it too in my opinion.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #17,190 of 40,587
I got the LX as U18 was unbearable to listen on R2R2K. LX definitely smoothed things out on higher frequencies
but I felt it overwhelms the overall presentation with its powerful bass response. This performs remarkly well
on Classical where bass is widely spread in background but other genre like hip-hops, techno, edm, etc the bass
is a little too much to enjoy..I will try out a little more but so far not too sure how this will play out. If you can
handle the abundant bass with joy, this will be the ultimate iem. The resolution on this iem is remarkable
with smooth and elegant mid/high..would have been perfect if they conserved on bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back