Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #17,236 of 40,559
Possibly silly question: I'm looking to upgrade the cable for my Phantoms (thanks @Wyville for that great review on the Leonidas), both to switch over to balanced output for my SP1000, but also just to upgrade the Ares II in general. The Effect Audio cables are awesome, but I'm really keen on a right-angle connector. Should I give up on that preference? For some reason the straight connectors always feel like they'll get broken off.
Thanks for the compliment! As @kubig123 said, not many companies have right angle terminations in 2.5mm balanced. I currently have the Dita Truth cable on my Phantom, but it does not have great ergonomics. The new Dita cable, the OSLO, I believe has much better ergonomics and has the "awesome plug" a right angled termination where you can change between 2.5mm (Bal), 3.5mm (SE), 3.5mm (Bal) and 4.4mm (Bal). It is a really nice system, but I have no idea what the cable is like in terms of sound and how it would pair with the Phantom.

I have had no issues though with the straight 2.5mm (Bal) though and the new Effect Audio plug is really nice.
I have some personally exciting news and a question that y'all may be able to help with.... I finally submitted my order for my first customs! WAAAHHHOOOO I'm so excited AAAAHHH I'm already counting down the days. Anyhow, I'm definitely a wireless gal (partially by choice, partially forced by Apple's removal of the aux jack .-.), so I was wondering if anyone has any bluetooth cables that they would recommend? My biggest two factors are cost and battery life -- there's little to no way I'd spend more than..... $60-80 at this time, and I'd prefer something under $50, if anyone has any experience in that price point. I'm ballin' on a budget, folks.

I was also looking at BT receivers as well although I'm certain at one point I'll definitely want a separate cable too (honestly a length/convenience thing). I'm open to all options right now. I trust y'all and any guidance you have is MUCH APPRECIATED :) <3
Congrats Devon! Looking forward to seeing what design you have chosen!

Unfortunately I only know the PlusSound BT cables and those start at $150. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #17,237 of 40,559
Thanks for the compliment! As @kubig123 said, not many companies have right angle terminations in 2.5mm balanced. I currently have the Dita Truth cable on my Phantom, but it does not have great ergonomics. The new Dita cable, the OSLO, I believe has much better ergonomics and has the "awesome plug" a right angled termination where you can change between 2.5mm (Bal), 3.5mm (SE), 3.5mm (Bal) and 4.4mm (Bal). It is a really nice system, but I have no idea what the cable is like in terms of sound and how it would pair with the Phantom.

I have had no issues though with the straight 2.5mm (Bal) though and the new Effect Audio plug is really nice.

Congrats Devon! Looking forward to seeing what design you have chosen!

Unfortunately I only know the PlusSound BT cables and those start at $150. :frowning2:

A cable soaked in oil, with a buttery (?) sound.
The power of marketing

1234.PNG

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #17,238 of 40,559
Feb 6, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #17,241 of 40,559
I have some personally exciting news and a question that y'all may be able to help with.... I finally submitted my order for my first customs! WAAAHHHOOOO I'm so excited AAAAHHH I'm already counting down the days. Anyhow, I'm definitely a wireless gal (partially by choice, partially forced by Apple's removal of the aux jack .-.), so I was wondering if anyone has any bluetooth cables that they would recommend? My biggest two factors are cost and battery life -- there's little to no way I'd spend more than..... $60-80 at this time, and I'd prefer something under $50, if anyone has any experience in that price point. I'm ballin' on a budget, folks.

I was also looking at BT receivers as well although I'm certain at one point I'll definitely want a separate cable too (honestly a length/convenience thing). I'm open to all options right now. I trust y'all and any guidance you have is MUCH APPRECIATED :) <3
Clear Tunes has one and it's listed for $50, but haven't tried it myself. Cheapest I've see is from Plusound during Massdrop, but still over $100 and go on sale only a couple times per year.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #17,242 of 40,559
At first read I was like "wow, What". But, I suppose soaking in oil with metal particles is probably somewhat akin to a coating, which lots of cables use.

At least it wasn't soaked in actual butter.
Probably some kind of coating technique. If they soaked it in actual butter, I'd laugh and just go buy a bag of popcorn!

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #17,243 of 40,559

For BT receiver I would highly recommend Radsone Studio ES100, very highly capable I think $99 in amazon. Sounds pretty good, LDAC, APTX HD, APTX, SBC Codec

Take a look at headfi forum thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/

As for cable, Mee Audio make a pretty good cable, currently $72.00 at amazon. I have this cable; overall its pretty good sound quality, a good match if your iem is lighter in sound and need more heft, weight; it gives more solidity, bass boost, and also awesome connectors: 3.5mm, 2.5mm, 4.4 mm connector.... on second thought this is only mmcx connector. Massdrop did provide Mee audio 2 pin iem cable but that was a while ago.

My favorite cable is Triton 8 Hybrid, 4 silver & 4 copper; about $180, it's above the budget though. It will give the best clarity and resolution, tighten bass(has better definition and more subbass), definitely better than EA Ares 2 & EA Eos cable in terms of clarity and resolution by quite a big margin (I have these 2), but will reduce 3D effect and make the sound thinner. This cable is especially a good match with those very thick sounding iem eg: EE Phantom, best value cable for me outside of those $1-$2k cable like PW 1960 4 core. Very highly recommended & David the owner of Triton is a pleasure to deal with and goes by the headfi moniker alpha421

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #17,244 of 40,559
Possibly silly question: I'm looking to upgrade the cable for my Phantoms (thanks @Wyville for that great review on the Leonidas), both to switch over to balanced output for my SP1000, but also just to upgrade the Ares II in general. The Effect Audio cables are awesome, but I'm really keen on a right-angle connector. Should I give up on that preference? For some reason the straight connectors always feel like they'll get broken off.
Never had a problem with the straight connectors, but I suppose it depends how you carry your device and how careful you are with it.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #17,245 of 40,559
My favorite cable is Triton 8 Hybrid, 4 silver & 4 copper; about $180, it's above the budget though. It will give the best clarity and resolution, tighten bass(has better definition and more subbass), definitely better than EA Ares 2 & EA Eos cable in terms of clarity and resolution by quite a big margin (I have these 2), but will reduce 3D effect and make the sound thinner. This cable is especially a good match with those very thick sounding iem eg: EE Phantom, best value cable for me outside of those $1-$2k cable like PW 1960 4 core. Very highly recommended & David the owner of Triton is a pleasure to deal with and goes by the headfi moniker alpha421
Any impressions on the Triton 8 hybrid? Price seems reasonable and I dont want to shell out for an Eros II atm.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #17,247 of 40,559
Any impressions on the Triton 8 hybrid? Price seems reasonable and I dont want to shell out for an Eros II atm.
It’s a really nice cable, it’s very similar to the pwaudio Saladin 8 wire, it widens the soundstage and increase the treble, the biggest downside is that is extremely microphonic, but to offset that David has introdotto new 24.5awg wire with a different insulation, it’s only available in the 4 wire configuration. It’s just like the effect audio cables “+” version with the thicker wire. What is really nice of the Triton cables is a very fast turnaround, usually the cable is ready within a week from placing the order.
You can also personalize cable by choosing differ brand of plugs and connectors.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #17,248 of 40,559
It’s a really nice cable, it’s very similar to the pwaudio Saladin 8 wire, it widens the soundstage and increase the treble, the biggest downside is that is extremely microphonic, but to offset that David has introdotto new 24.5awg wire with a different insulation, it’s only available in the 4 wire configuration. It’s just like the effect audio cables “+” version with the thicker wire. What is really nice of the Triton cables is a very fast turnaround, usually the cable is ready within a week from placing the order.
You can also personalize cable by choosing differ brand of plugs and connectors.
Have you tried the 4 wire configuration and see how it stacks up? Ergonomics is a huge issue for me because of glasses, and Id settle for 4 wires that have the sound of a 8 wire like the Leo II, but those are far and in between.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #17,249 of 40,559

I use EA Eros II 8wire with my CIEM Phantoms. To be honest as @kubig123 stated that TAC 8wire hybrid has huge soundstage which is true.
I have them in my desktop balanced amp Mini Dynalo correlate very well with CB12s/CB15 of SR1. I love this combination.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #17,250 of 40,559
I use EA Eros II 8wire with my CIEM Phantoms. To be honest as @kubig123 stated that TAC 8wire hybrid has huge soundstage which is true.
I have them in my desktop balanced amp Mini Dynalo correlate very well with CB12s/CB15 of SR1. I love this combination.
Leo II is going on Phantom for me, love it because it sounds like an 8 wire but egrgonomics of a 4(18 days to go!). Hoping to find something similar for Zeus. After extensive testing, copper cables seem to be not the route for me. The Lionheart being the only exception, my route is probably hybrids or silvers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back