Effect Audio cables thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,311 of 7,970
Well done sir! I wonder if this will change when the new dappy...??...dappy...???...dappy:rage:comes in? Ohhh, I see the err in my ways now. I was combining dap with doggy*

Based on what's being tossed around here by yourself and others, Ares II 8-wire is definitely the next cable for my Phantoms. I have to be stingy ATM and the A8 shows itself to be sensitive to my needs. Awe, thanks Ares 8. You're sweet.

Really starting to sound like - other than Ares II - A8 is among top of the heap SQ/$ for Phantom.

*honestly, I was this - insert forefinger + thumb gesture - close to scrapping such terribleness from the record before dubiously clicking "post reply"
Haha! Not far off, as I still owe my wife a doggy for the Phantom and then I will need to add another doggy for a dappy. :D I want to look for a slightly less laid-back DAP and expect I will then be switching back to balanced. It just seems to be something typical of the AK70 (and my personal preferences of course).

Overall I would say that the Ares II 8-wire is great value not just for the Phantom. I am listening to the 8-wire right now with my Custom Art Ei.3 and the pairing rocks! Again, the intimate sounding Ei.3 just scale to greatness with the 8-wire and get a great sense of energy. Loving this pairing. So when it is not paired with my Phantom, it will be paired with my Ei.3. :ksc75smile:

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,312 of 7,970
I ordered it from the local distributor so I actually went to his office and not a shop to pick up the cable.

Bummer, I thought you could have tested it there with something :frowning2:

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,313 of 7,970
Haha! Not far off, as I still owe my wife a doggy for the Phantom and then I will need to add another doggy for a dappy. :D I want to look for a slightly less laid-back DAP and expect I will then be switching back to balanced. It just seems to be something typical of the AK70 (and my personal preferences of course).

Overall I would say that the Ares II 8-wire is great value not just for the Phantom. I am listening to the 8-wire right now with my Custom Art Ei.3 and the pairing rocks! Again, the intimate sounding Ei.3 just scale to greatness with the 8-wire and get a great sense of energy. Loving this pairing. So when it is not paired with my Phantom, it will be paired with my Ei.3. :ksc75smile:

Sounds like an A&whatevertheheckitis SE100 is in the books for you. :wink:

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #2,315 of 7,970
lololololololololololololol anyone have the tilty screen one?

@Wyville do you only own the ak70?

does anyone know when the hiby r3 will be purchasable? I need a transport for my mojo

To be fair, a friend of mine tried the SR15 (the tilted screen one) and he found it very ergonomic. The slant of the body matches perfectly with a right-handed grip, so when held, the screen is perfectly straight. Though, it only applies to a right-handed grip. Holding it with the left hand makes the tilt even worse. :D

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,316 of 7,970
To be fair, a friend of mine tried the SR15 (the tilted screen one) and he found it very ergonomic. The slant of the body matches perfectly with a right-handed grip, so when held, the screen is perfectly straight. Though, it only applies to a right-handed grip. Holding it with the left hand makes the tilt even worse. :D
rip i hold my devices with my left hand, time to petition for a left side version. did you see my message in the shootout thread? about currawong's discord server

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #2,318 of 7,970
Sounds like an A&whatevertheheckitis SE100 is in the books for you. :wink:
Spot on! :D From what I have read so far it seems like the A&Sillylongname SE100 might well be better suited to my preferences and it is the first DAP that I am as interested in as the WM1A, which still tops my wish list (mostly because of its wonderful battery life). I am keeping my fingers crossed Sony will come up with some interesting new goodies in the coming months.
Yep, I have the first AK70. Really nice player overall and I generally love the sound of it. It is just occasionally that I find the synergy less than optimal, which is probably an indication that I am becoming a spoiled little audiophile brat. :D

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #2,320 of 7,970
lololololololololololololol anyone have the tilty screen one?

does anyone know when the hiby r3 will be purchasable? I need a transport for my mojo
Use the shanling m0, much better and cheaper as a transport

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #2,322 of 7,970
thx, I was worried about it being a little too small. iirc it's not Android right?
Not android but since u r just using it as a transport and not for the sound it's sufficient

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #2,323 of 7,970
IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0732.JPG IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0734.JPG

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,325 of 7,970
I would like to ask if is the Ares II using the same insulation as the other cables because I have an Ares II+ and the cable is very stiff. The braiding above the Y-Split is already messed up.

Hi, I have Ares II (no plus) and Thor Silver II. Both cables are very flexible and comfortable to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back