1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Effect Audio cables thread

Tags:
First

Back
144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153
155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164
Next

Last
  1. San Man
    Is it the cable, or the pigtail adapter that's giving you problems?

2. aaf evo
    Ordered a Janus d from a fellow head fier. Can’t wait!

fiascogarcia likes this.
  3. Decreate
    I'm not really sure whether it was the male 2.5mm plug of the cable or the female adapter of the pigtail because there wasn't another adapter I could try at that time...

4. Deezel177
    Yep.

ctsooner22 likes this.
  5. Audiophonicalistic
    Awesome video. Cool to see how theyre put together.

6. Bosk
    Just put my Ares II 8 wire 2pin/2.5mm up for sale in the classifieds if anyone's interested. Its an amazing cable but not quite synergistic with my Spartan IV's in the way I was hoping.

7. aaf evo
    So the Horus 8 isn’t available for the general public to purchase correct? It looks beautiful.

tim0chan likes this.
  8. San Man
    No, it's an upgrade to selected few existing owners

9. San Man
    Hope it's just the adapter. Wasn't there a DAP at that store you could have plugged the cable itself into, just to rule it out?

10. San Man
    You won't regret it :)

11. aaf evo
    I see, they offer this free of charge?

Really excited to receive it :)

12. San Man
    No

aaf evo likes this.
  13. Wyville
    So as I indicated last week, I have been having a little bit of a shootout between Lionheart and the Ares II 8-wire when paired with my Phantom and I think I now have a pretty good idea of their relative strengths, and no idea which pairing I prefer because both are flipping awesome in their own right. :D

Initially I did not care much for the Lionheart/Phantom pairing because it was a little too laid-back. I felt strings were a bit too soft and brass instruments lacked presence, both lacking bite. Because I have had issues with synergy between cables/IEMs and the balanced out from my AK70, I tried going from SE with an adapter from Astrotec and in the case of Lionheart I felt it transformed the synergy from "great, but not optimal" to "blimey! I can't stop listening"-awesomeness.

LionheartSE.png

The difference in sound is not that significant, quite subtle actually, but it seems to be just in the right places to synergise really well. In comparison, the difference for the Ares II 8-wire between balanced and SE is less noticeable because synergy with the balanced out is already really good and I do not notice the specific differences as clearly (not sure if wire count is also a factor here).

Lionheart when compared to the Ares II 8-wire provides a slightly brighter sound, but still very much with a wonderfully warm and natural tonality. It is most noticeable with classical music where strings become slightly accentuated and bass instruments are moved a little further back. Notes are to my ears slightly leaner and instruments are less full sounding but with exceptional clarity. Lionheart also seems to extend a little more on both sides, increasing clarity and resolution, where the Ares II 8-wire adds tons of space and just sounds grander altogether. Compared back to back I would say that the Ares II 8-wire is more capable of giving me the feeling like I am sitting in a prime seat at the Royal Albert Hall, whereas Lionheart feels more intimate. Indeed, the Ares II 8-wire adds a real sense of drama and boldness, while Lionheart adds refinement and liquidity to the music that is unbelievably gorgeous.

Where I think Lionheart really scores exceptionally well is with strings. Ares II 8-wire has slightly sweet strings with great texture and detail, but Lionheart takes that up a notch and adds a wonderful bite to the strings, that sound sharper and more detailed to the point that when I listen to Paganini's Concerto No.4 (my new addiction) I can hear the tension of the strings and the acrobatics of the bow on those strings. From legato to spiccato and from tremolo to jeté, Lionheart presents the techniques with astonishing clarity, detail and a brightness that is so incredibly good when techniques are used that produce an icy and eerie high tone. With the Ares II 8-wire that hair-raising iciness is not quite as capable of stimulating the pilomotor reflex because it is just a hair (pardon the pun) too sweet. With Lionheart though... Oh boy, spine-tingling pleasure as I listen to Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

Not just violins do well here, at the other end of the frequency range the cello sounds marvellously good as well. Bach's Cello Suites sound great with the Ares II 8-wire, but Lionheart adds more texture and detail. Playing techniques come through brilliantly here as well and I can more clearly hear the resonance in the body of the cello. This results in a slightly less weighty, yet still more realistic sounding cello.

Overall, I am loving the pairing with Lionheart right now and will probably keep it paired with the Phantom for the time being. But that is also because I listen to Paganini a lot at the moment and I am sure that at some point I will switch back to grandness of the Ares II 8-wire, which is just as addictive to listen to. So no clear winner here. If I were forced to make a choice, perhaps Lionheart takes it by a narrow margin because I love the added texture that comes through and the gorgeous liquidity that I feel is so unique to Lionheart.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  14. Decreate
    I ordered it from the local distributor so I actually went to his office and not a shop to pick up the cable.

15. natemact
    Well done sir! I wonder if this will change when the new dappy...??...dappy...???...dappy:rage:comes in? Ohhh, I see the err in my ways now. I was combining dap with doggy*

Based on what's being tossed around here by yourself and others, Ares II 8-wire is definitely the next cable for my Phantoms. I have to be stingy ATM and the A8 shows itself to be sensitive to my needs. Awe, thanks Ares 8. You're sweet.

Really starting to sound like - other than Ares II - A8 is among top of the heap SQ/$ for Phantom.

*honestly, I was this - insert forefinger + thumb gesture - close to scrapping such terribleness from the record before dubiously clicking "post reply"

flinkenick, Deezel177 and Wyville like this.
First

Back
144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153
155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164
Next

Last