EF5 or Valhalla or LD MK IV or DV 336SE?
Feb 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Hi fellow HFiers! I have done a lot of thinking and I made myself 4 possible choices for my first tube amp. I'm planning on using it with the E17&E9 DAC and amp combo via RCA line to the tube amp. I was thinking of the EF5 at first, but I was a little worried by the price tag and the sheer power of the thing. The amps that interests me the most has to be the DV 336SE and the LD MKIV. I also head many great things about the Valhalla as well. I'm also planning on buying the Hifiman HE500 (or he400) and other headphones in the near future. Any personal experiences with any of these amps will be greatly appreciated! I just need suggestions because it is impossible to audition these amps except for the EF5. Canada stinks when it comes to product availability

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 2
Orthodynamics like the He-400 and He-500 require a lot of voltage and power, the LYR was made for the Orthodynamics. Here is the email for proof from Jason.

Hello Jason,

Which AMP/DAC would you recommend with this headphone and why? I also want to know your favorite DAC and why. My budget for DAC and Amp is roughly $1000 due to cost of Beyerdynamic T1 ($1200). Lastly, do you offer any kind of overnight shipping? I want my unit to arrive on Monday along with my phones. 

Thanks,

Thomas Michael Lopez

Thomas,

Out of our currently available amps, Valhalla is definitely the right choice (the 600 ohm Beyers love Valhalla). Bifrost is the right pair with Valhalla Alternately, Mjolnir will be out shortly, but that requires balanced cabling. It works very synergistically with the Gugnir DAC, but it won't be out for a couple of months.

Overnight shipping is an option when you order--but quite costly, I'm afraid.

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Ok what if I go with Hifiman HE-500, would those need more power like from the LYR? 

Thomas,

HE-500s are definitely going to need Lyr or Mjolnir--as with most orthodynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back