Edition 8 - my first hands on impression
Jun 28, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #91 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my ED8 yesterday. Excellent stuffs. Burning in now.

DSC00823.jpg

congratulations! And your photo looks better than the official one!
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #92 of 142
Everyone, really, look at that build quality! This is proof positive that you can build a top-flight headphone without resorting to silver spray-painted plastic. I just hope that the sound quality can truly compete with the HD800. Even better if the sound quality beats that of the HD800. We have got to get more reviews of this headphone up soon. So far, the HD800 is sweeping the floor on Head-Fi.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #94 of 142
Quote:

Excellent, looking forward for your impressions.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #95 of 142
Quote:

Looking forward to what you say about it with your Yamamoto HA-02 since I have one and really enjoy my UE9s with mine.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #96 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congratulations! And your photo looks better than the official one!
beerchug.gif

Thanks! Btw, I've heard both HD800 and ED9 as compare to ED8.

HD800 sound neutral and transparent but overall sound flat and lack of bass. Maybe it due to the Lehmann amp during it's launch. It a hard can to drive so a powerful amp is a must to deliver. So owner of Yamamoto can forget about driving it well.

Actually I was quite disappointed with ED8 out of the box as compare to ED9 that's used for more than a year. ED8 mid sound thin and bright with smaller soundstage. BUT! After I burn in the whole nite with my cable cooker(it increase the burn in period), it started to bloom like a flower! Everything start to open up! It sound fuller with much bigger soundstage. The treble is sweet and smooth with very lush mid. Hope it'll continue to be better. Btw, it's build is really solid and definitely look like handmade in Germany made.

Btw, I've yet to compare with my other cans. It so musical that I'm lost in music now.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #97 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone, really, look at that build quality! This is proof positive that you can build a top-flight headphone without resorting to silver spray-painted plastic. I just hope that the sound quality can truly compete with the HD800. Even better if the sound quality beats that of the HD800. We have got to get more reviews of this headphone up soon. So far, the HD800 is sweeping the floor on Head-Fi.

Yes, nice quality without question. Right up there with the HD-800
smily_headphones1.gif

Really, it does look good in a bling'n, ipod-y sort of way (no negative connotation meant there BTW, I like that look). And the closed nature of the phone is interesting.

The Ultrasone site says:

"The outer ear cups are covered in Ruthenium."

Anyone know what's under the Ruthenium?

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #98 of 142
Based on their website about Ruthenium: "This precious metal is known for its brilliant metallic sheen and durable properties". It sure look very durable to me.

Also the ED8 is more comfortable, without the tight clamping effect of ED9.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #99 of 142
Quote:

Based on their website about Ruthenium: "This precious metal is known for its brilliant metallic sheen and durable properties". It sure look very durable to me.

Also the ED8 is more comfortable, without the tight clamping effect of ED9.

Yes, I know a bit about Ruthenium, it is an element in the Platinum family, as I recall, and is often mixed with other metals for various reasons in industry.

My question is; the Ruthenium is a plating. So what is under the Ruthenium?

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #100 of 142
I'm thinking of getting one myself this month, but the informations of it are too limited compare to hd800 here. Realy want to see a full scale review with burned in ed8s! So guys, come on, hurry up! I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #101 of 142
Quote:

HD800 sound neutral and transparent but overall sound flat and lack of bass. Maybe it due to the Lehmann amp during it's launch. It a hard can to drive so a powerful amp is a must to deliver. So owner of Yamamoto can forget about driving it well.

Actually I was quite disappointed with ED8 out of the box as compare to ED9 that's used for more than a year. ED8 mid sound thin and bright with smaller soundstage. BUT! After I burn in the whole nite with my cable cooker(it increase the burn in period), it started to bloom like a flower! Everything start to open up! It sound fuller with much bigger soundstage. The treble is sweet and smooth with very lush mid. Hope it'll continue to be better. Btw, it's build is really solid and definitely look like handmade in Germany made.

Btw, I've yet to compare with my other cans. It so musical that I'm lost in music now.

I will get next week the ED-8 headphone wich i will also compare to HD-800.
I have heard from another owner already in Germany that this headphone bloom like a flower and it was also told to be sounding like the great HE-90.I will run the ED-8 with the Silvercore amp .It might be possible that we have here a star rising from the shadow.

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #102 of 142
Quote:

I look forward to hear your thoughts about ED8 and other cans, especially ED9.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #103 of 142
I wish I could get a chance to hear these kinds of cans, anything over 1k usd I need to save for can't be special edition, I have no credit cards!

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #104 of 142
Lee, Owner of Cryo-Parts and Locus Design Group has the Ed9's, Ed8's and HD800's and the ears to do a great write up! Come on Lee, post a review of all three P-L-E-A-S-E!

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #105 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lee, Owner of Cryo-Parts and Locus Design Group has the Ed9's, Ed8's and HD800's and the ears to do a great write up! Come on Lee, post a review of all three P-L-E-A-S-E!

Hey Dan,

I'll probably pass on writing a review. Even though I have no loyalties, ties, or financial interests in either Senn or Ultrasone, IMO, it is not cool for a MOT to "review" other manufacturers gear.

Sorry. I will say they are all three fine cans, and if you can afford it, have a set of each. Now, I am waiting on a set of PS1K's, ha. I have a problem...

Peace

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back