Edition 8 - my first hands on impression
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #76 of 142
I have been owner of the Orpheus system many years so its part of me.I will get the Ed 8 soon and try it out with the Silvercore 812A amps.I ordered also HD-800.I will report something if The ED 8 is on the Orpheus level.Stereoplay will give a review soon ED-8 against HD-800.
As far i understood what they said on their own discussion blogs the ED-8 will beat the HD-800.Both headphones need to have the right amp to perform at its best.I am very sure Hd-800 needs a big tube amp and hope that tubes suits also on ED-8.I will compare the phones later on four different amps.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #77 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both headphones need to have the right amp to perform at its best.I am very sure Hd-800 needs a big tube amp and hope that tubes suits also on ED-8.I will compare the phones later on four different amps.

Hi, tangerine,

The Edition 8 sounds fantastic with the Earmax Silver Edition AND with the TPA6120 (active ground). But when it comes to very dynamic music with lots of different instruments, and particularly when diving into deep bass regions, the latter seems to suit the Edition 8 better with its fast, clean and crisp sound and tight control. But could I expect more from such a pretty little Earmax? (It has no problems with my GS 1000 at all, for my vinyl I favor the Grado and the Earmax at all times.)

Give the Edition 8 a fat capable tube amp and it will shine, I'm sure.
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #78 of 142
Still waiting for the darned headphones to ship...

... and all the while I'm wondering if I'd be better served to cancel and go for the JH13's.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #79 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting for the darned headphones to ship...

... and all the while I'm wondering if I'd be better served to cancel and go for the JH13's.

For the price of the Edition 8, I have purchased the JH13 PRO and the HF-2.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #80 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price of the Edition 8, I have purchased the JH13 PRO and the HF-2.
wink.gif

Nicely done!

If I didn't already have the UE11, I would totally go for the JH13. I feel gross paying this much, but I really just want to try them first hand. I will have no issue returning them to soundearphones and take a small hit if they don't pan out.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #81 of 142
Id take them thread. If you decide not to keep them.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #82 of 142
Consider my mind changed.

As gross as I felt spending what is asked for the ed8, I really feel grosser supporting Ultrasone. They simply don't seem to give a hoot about their customers, not even supplying NS&L with enough units to fulfill their preorders, and blatantly ignoring emailed questions from myself and at least one other forum member.

I won't be able to share them nor sell them, but those seem to be the only downsides to my new plan: JH13.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #83 of 142
I guess I could amend my previous post by mentioning that I did receive a response, but it only addressed one out of my clearly two part question.

The biggest thing for me, honestly, was the way they handled NS&L. Even if Ultrasone had set a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) and NS&L violated it, I just feel like Ultrasone handled it wrong. They had already delayed release for some time and we were waiting for them to start shipping any day! The phone call from NS&L would have made more sense a month or two earlier. Given the timing, a friendlier company might have been more accommodating of their early adopters.

It is, of course only my two cents.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #85 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said Adam, with you and me, Ultrasone have probably lost 2 of their biggest supporters.

R.I.P

Crazy times! That's exactly what happens right now with dozens of customers of Sennheiser Germany which they annoyed and lost by adhering to their release, distribution and information policy re HD 800. Since I am one of them I decided on buying an Edition 8 (Ultrasone's German online shop) and again a K 1000 (NIB), instead of waiting on a fictive headphone. Hard times for us poor headphone addicts!

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #86 of 142
I am enjoying my Edition 9 so much at the moment that I almost forgot about Edition 8 coming out! I can wait.
But then again if more people confirmed that Ed 8 is an improvement on Ed 9 then I too will be anxious to get my hands on a pair....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #87 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crazy times! That's exactly what happens right now with dozens of customers of Sennheiser Germany which they annoyed and lost by adhering to their release, distribution and information policy re HD 800. Since I am one of them I decided on buying an Edition 8 (Ultrasone's German online shop) and again a K 1000 (NIB), instead of waiting on a fictive headphone. Hard times for us poor headphone addicts!

When you play with fire you get burned.

I don't think that Ultrasone are solid enough to play that game with their customers.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #88 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am enjoying my Edition 9 so much at the moment that I almost forgot about Edition 8 coming out! I can wait.
But then again if more people confirmed that Ed 8 is an improvement on Ed 9 then I too will be anxious to get my hands on a pair....
smily_headphones1.gif

My expectation is that they will be different but arguably not necessarily better.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #89 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My expectation is that they will be different but arguably not necessarily better.

It looks like no one is paying any attention to Edition 8 at the moment. It's hard to find any reviews or impressions about these phones. mopps is the only one that shared his thoughts with us it seems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back