Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Dec 24, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #406 of 2,605
I hope you guys can recognize the logo I was trying to describe. One thing with any variant of this tube that hasn't been said in quite a while is that the pins tend to oxidize pretty quickly with use. The sound degradation is very gradual from this so a good cleaning of them once every 2 months is advised. I know I forget so after I clean them, I mark my wall calender for the next cleaning.
Adrian Monk

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #407 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you guys can recognize the logo I was trying to describe. One thing with any variant of this tube that hasn't been said in quite a while is that the pins tend to oxidize pretty quickly with use. The sound degradation is very gradual from this so a good cleaning of them once every 2 months is advised. I know I forget so after I clean them, I mark my wall calender for the next cleaning.
Adrian Monk

What are you using for cleaning the pins? I just started doing this recently and have used original DeoxIT D100L for cleaning followed by DeoxIT Gold for contact enhancement.

A_Sr.

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #408 of 2,605
Yeah, D2 is what I use for most stuff. If it's real black, it's quicker to use something like MG Chemicals contact cleaner (real nasty stuff) and some 320 grit sandpaper till it's shinny. Just recently, I've followed the D2 with a quick wipe with alcohol. I use some contact enhancers like Mapleshade Sil-Clear but not on tube pins. That's so I don't have to worry about build-up in the tubes sockets. I've had problems with arcing from the tabs of loose sockets inside of gear and it can be a real PITA to track down and fix so I don't take any unnecessary chances with them.
BTW here's a good example of the newer production (on the left) and the old logo( on the right) being sold as a pair on ebay;2x 6S33S-V | 6S33S-B | 6C33C-V Audiophile Triode Tubes - (eBay item 350007418506 end time Dec-24-07 17:42:10 PST)
If you were to see a side shot, you could see that the plate structure of these 2 tubes is slightly different.
Also, I just got an email back from Kevin @Upscale, he's out of the old logo so don't bother asking him.

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #409 of 2,605
Just sent craig my deposit.....

My 1st head amp and its a ZD.... how nuts is that!

sorry if this took the thread off track.... just darn excited (or worried?)

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #410 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sent craig my deposit.....

My 1st head amp and its a ZD.... how nuts is that!

sorry if this took the thread off track.... just darn excited (or worried?)

Congrats! What headphones and sources are you going to use with it? I don't see any in your profile.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #412 of 2,605
and my deposit just got refunded...... run sold out. now awaiting drop outs or else there might be a feb run..... sigh.....

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #413 of 2,605
Quote:

and my deposit just got refunded...... run sold out. now awaiting drop outs or else there might be a feb run..... sigh.....

Ouch - sorry to hear that. It is very likely that there may be a dropout. I think its cool of Craig to catch that there are none available and refund your deposit that quickly, it would be harder to swallow if it was mid-late January and then it got refunded.

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #414 of 2,605
yeah, craig is one cool guy. always has time to respond no matter how dumb the query from a newbie like me.

i sure hope that there is drop out.... am planning my system round the ZD!!!

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #415 of 2,605
Quote:

yeah, craig is one cool guy. always has time to respond no matter how dumb the query from a newbie like me.

i sure hope that there is drop out.... am planning my system round the ZD!!!

I'm sorry you didn't get in on this run. Hopefully, you can get one this time or be the first for the next run.

I'm planning to build my system around the ZD, as well. Others here say it makes a fine linestage, so I'll add an amp and turn it loose on the speaker rig, as well. Not sure about the amp, yet. Leaning towards DIY at the moment.

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #416 of 2,605
because of me posting on this forum.... someone has swapped places with me so now am on the current run (pun not intended)....
biggrin.gif

thank you head-fi, thank you steve....

now to start the tube search....

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #418 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioelec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was me

Hope you enjoy it Happy Christmas,now when is the next run
frown.gif

Wow... That was very kind of you. Due to your generosity and the even longer wait, I'm sure the amp will sound that much sweeter. Merry Christmas to you too!

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #419 of 2,605
Maybe feb.
Craig presently only has enough caps for 8 more ZDs. So unless he manages to source more caps i guess it's HD-2i and black rider country.

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #420 of 2,605
So, if Craig only has 8 pairs of the soybean oil caps, how many ZD's will there be total. The first run was 6, the next 10, and I assume the last run was an additional 10. Are the 8 pairs for the Feb. run? No matter how you cut it, that's great for Craig! Considering the lousy response to the HD25 selling over 30 Zanas must seem like a windfall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back