Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Nov 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #376 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a week of wrestling with the decision, I exchanged e-mail with Craig this afternoon and sent him the deposit a little bit ago. Waiting will be the hard part now.

There were a lot of tube suggestions about a year ago. Do any of the ZD owners have updates on their tube choices and rolling? Seems like most of the impressions were fairly recent; I'd like to know how your choices held up. Is there anything owners know now they wish they knew when the ZD first showed up?

And is anyone using their ZD as a preamp? Impressions, please?

Congratulations on your order. You will be a very happy listener in the near future.
biggrin.gif

I've settled on a Brimar 6SL7GT as my tube of choice. I've been using it exclusively with all of my cans and it is the best I've heard. I have a National Union, 6SU7GTY and a couple of Tung Sol's but this Brimar has been the best for me.

A_Sr.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #378 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And is anyone using their ZD as a preamp? Impressions, please?

I used mine with a First Watt F1 and it was a great preamp. I think if you were to do the research you will find that this is the general consensus. I don't recall ever reading that someone was disappointed with the ZD as a preamp. There really seemed to be a synergy with the F1. I don't believe I tried the ZD with any other amps other than the F1. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #379 of 2,605
the ps-1 with the ZD, it is very very good sounding, so far my favorite. it was a little bass heavy on the NU, but on the Sylvania it was the best sound i've ever heard from a grado.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #380 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment, I'm just wallowing in musical pleasure with the stock tubes. I think a person can enjoy it that way for a long, long time, and then get into swapping out tubes, after you know the ZD well.

The ZD is the biggest upgrade I've ever made. And an astounding one.

and probably the most expensive upgrade =)

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #381 of 2,605
yes, by far!!
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #382 of 2,605
Well, after a lot of searching, I just knew I wouldn't be happy with another amp knowing that the Zana is right there. I put a deposit down for the current run, Craig estimates at Mid-January. I definitely don't mind waiting because I have been waiting to own an amp of this caliber for a very long time. It's been awhile since I've heard her but man that sound just haunts you and everytime you listen to another amp you are simply reminded more and more of the beautiful sound that is the Zana Deux.

Any one with extra 6sl7's PM por favor. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #383 of 2,605
recstar24 - welcome to the "Waiting for Zana Deux" club! It's probably worse for you, having spent some time with one. I bought mostly on the strength of reviews (yours especially) and reputation.

As for the 6SL7 tubes, there are some nice ones listed on eBay. I picked up a pair of strong NOS RCAs there. Have you ordered the 6C33C tubes yet? I'm still waiting on a pair.

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #384 of 2,605
the zana pdf from eddie current's webpage says 8-12 wait on orders. when i placed my order the first week of november, i was told via email, "i am now taking orders for a december delivery." even the last day of december is only 7 weeks for me. any ideas on when i should expect my new amp?

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #385 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after a lot of searching, I just knew I wouldn't be happy with another amp knowing that the Zana is right there. I put a deposit down for the current run, Craig estimates at Mid-January. I definitely don't mind waiting because I have been waiting to own an amp of this caliber for a very long time. It's been awhile since I've heard her but man that sound just haunts you and everytime you listen to another amp you are simply reminded more and more of the beautiful sound that is the Zana Deux.

Any one with extra 6sl7's PM por favor. Thanks.

Welcome back! I saw that haunted look in your eyes when I pried #11 away from you.
wink.gif

If nothing else pops up in the way of 6SL7's I might have a couple I could part with.

As to the order time, remember, Craig runs a small operation. And he does use an outside assembler for the Zana. Because his orders are small-ish for this assembler, larger orders will take preference over his, and thus bump the time frame. If he is now saying mid-January that's as close an estimate as you'll get. Don't feel bad yet though. I ordered last December and got my amp in April, I believe. I'm betting strongly that you won't wait that long.

Ryan, enjoy that amp.

A_Sr.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #386 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the zana pdf from eddie current's webpage says 8-12 wait on orders. when i placed my order the first week of november, i was told via email, "i am now taking orders for a december delivery." even the last day of december is only 7 weeks for me. any ideas on when i should expect my new amp?

Probably the same as the rest of us - Craig just told me today during email mid january. So its looking like it will be more the 12 week portion of the wait period.

As for the 6c33c-b's I will just get the ones that Craig is using to burn the amp with. $50 for a set is just fine by me, and at least I will know there won't be any crazy channel imbalances and that the tubes should be fine if they last past the 1st couple of hours.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #387 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the same as the rest of us - Craig just told me today during email mid january. So its looking like it will be more the 12 week portion of the wait period.

As for the 6c33c-b's I will just get the ones that Craig is using to burn the amp with. $50 for a set is just fine by me, and at least I will know there won't be any crazy channel imbalances and that the tubes should be fine if they last past the 1st couple of hours.

I've tried some early seventies 6c33bs tubes in my HD2 and they were sweet better than the 1986 that came with the amp. There are also 6c18bs that can work in the amp from the early sixties my experience with these is not as good the tubes I received were noisy. I would try and hunt dowm some late 60s early 70s 6c33bs.

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #388 of 2,605
how are you doing the 6c33 search?

btw: i ordered a new group of 6sl7 tubes, so i should have the reviews of those out later...

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #389 of 2,605
All this talk of the Zana is making me really take notice. I am really loving the GS1000. Should I go for a Zana or all out for an HD2? I'm thinking I should maintain the balanced setup I already have.

My speaker system is Single Ended. Its only my headphones that are all going to be balanced at some point. Craig's amps sound like real winners but I'm fighting so hard not to get sucked in.

Hence my love and hate relationship with head-fi. Makes me buy stuff dang it!

~G

PS:- I'm still not really reading anywhere how well the GS1000 respond to balancing. Anyone have some experience to share or can guide me to some links?

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #390 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried some early seventies 6c33bs tubes in my HD2 and they were sweet better than the 1986 that came with the amp. There are also 6c18bs that can work in the amp from the early sixties my experience with these is not as good the tubes I received were noisy. I would try and hunt dowm some late 60s early 70s 6c33bs.

You have a source for those, and any ways that I can tell the older from the newer versions that are currently being made in Russia? I believe those tubes can be a bit finicky and usually have a failure rate of about 10% but if they last past the first couple of hours of burn in then you are home free. If you have a reliable source, great, but right now I am content with getting the ones that Craig is using to burn in the amp with because I am sure he won't sell me junk tubes he will just throw them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back