Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Dec 20, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #391 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Brindley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

1. Can you get this in 220 - 240v config for UK?
2. Anyone tried it with U Ed. 9's?

Thanks,

Lee

1. Yes you can, and mine will be built for 230V line voltage
2. After I got it, I will try it with Edition 9..

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #392 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a source for those, and any ways that I can tell the older from the newer versions that are currently being made in Russia? I believe those tubes can be a bit finicky and usually have a failure rate of about 10% but if they last past the first couple of hours of burn in then you are home free. If you have a reliable source, great, but right now I am content with getting the ones that Craig is using to burn in the amp with because I am sure he won't sell me junk tubes he will just throw them out.

I have a pair of early production(1967&1973) that have a different logo (rather than no logo that is) that I bought from Upscale Audio.Victor Khomenko from BAT thought that they sounded marginally better and used to offer them as an upgrade to his amps (as did Lamm Industries). I'm embarrassed to say, I totally forgot about them and haven't tried them yet. The logo states that they're 6c33c though. It has an oval with a big Y inside of it and wings (ala Svet 6550c) around the oval etched in the glass. The plate structure is a little different, but from what I can see, otherwise, they look very close to the newer ones that Craig provided with my Zana (hard to beat that price for ones that are actually tested).
BTW there are no current production 6c33. When they stopped making Migs, they stopped making these. There should be warehouses full of them though.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #394 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes you can, and mine will be built for 230V line voltage
2. After I got it, I will try it with Edition 9..

Once you get the Zana, it would be good to compare it to the more delicate Yamamoto that you have. I would imagine the Zana with its more stiff power supply would be able to handle a wider range of headphones.

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #395 of 2,605
Speaking of input tubes, I just snagged a vt229 black glass tung sol at a decent price. I usually go through brent jesse recording at BRENT JESSEE RECORDING HOMEPAGE but he apparently is out, he's local but then I get charged with sales tax. There is an audiogon seller who has a bunch with good feedback so I feel pretty good about it overall.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #396 of 2,605
Wow...I just have to say that I love this amp. Have only had it a few days now, but it sounds so f-ing musical without it being syrupy slow. Nice balance throughout the musical spectrum...except maybe soundstage, but then again, I'm using it with Grados.
Just can't recommend it enough!
It's driving the vintage RS1s so effortlessly.

For those waiting for it, definitely worth it!

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #397 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...I just have to say that I love this amp. Have only had it a few days now, but it sounds so f-ing musical without it being syrupy slow. Nice balance throughout the musical spectrum...except maybe soundstage, but then again, I'm using it with Grados.
Just can't recommend it enough!
It's driving the vintage RS1s so effortlessly.

For those waiting for it, definitely worth it!

The bass has a way of creeping into the music effortlessly with great impact. I absolutely loved the way this amp sounded with Grados.

The Zana Deux is the amp of amps
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #400 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried some early seventies 6c33bs tubes in my HD2 and they were sweet better than the 1986 that came with the amp. There are also 6c18bs that can work in the amp from the early sixties my experience with these is not as good the tubes I received were noisy. I would try and hunt dowm some late 60s early 70s 6c33bs.

Ok, so I burned the early logo 6c33c's in (without music) for about 10 hours yesterday ( a good idea for any tube, smaller tubes don't need as much time to stabilize the gases). Today I've had them running with Pandora.com for about 5 hours and unless something changes for the worse, I definitely like these better than the stock 6c33cb. Much more liquid mids and highs, nice punchy mid bass. No edge or etch. There's a little lack of decay up around 1kHz but that's something that usually changes with extended burn in.
BTW I'm using a pair of K701's with a Tung-Sol 6su7GTY brown base.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #403 of 2,605
I got mine from Upscale but they aren't on Kevin's site store any longer. It was almost exactly a year ago when I picked mine up. I have an email to ask them if there's any more. And even though they were much more $$$ there, they do about the best job of testing before they ship tubes. I'll shake some trees when the holidays are over but they were getting pretty scarce back then. That's one bad thing about BAT gear,.. they suck up tubes like nobody else. I think the VK-5 preamp used 12 or 16 6922's and that was back when you could buy an 8 pack of Amperex white label 7308's for about $150. Now they're $150 or more each!

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #404 of 2,605
A quick search of the Internet turned up this guy:

6C33C-B For Sale

The site says he has a mess of ca. 1992 vintage 6C33C tubes for sale, but it looks like the last update of the site was in 2002. Anyone know if he is still selling these tubes? Has anyone bought from him?

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #405 of 2,605
Here is link from my research about tubes, it is about different Russian factory logos. For 6c33b Ulyanov and Svetlana are often offered..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back