Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jan 24, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #437 of 2,605
My would be shipped today, I hope so, not from Craig but from head fier up here. I believe his ZD is nr.38 and only 3 month young, so I am very exiting for some brain shock.
biggrin.gif

I assume that some of NOS ECC35 /CV569 Mullards UK made would be one of the best match for GS1000, don't you think guys? Or some of ECC35 / CV1985.
confused.gif

More suggestions are welcome.

THX
cool.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #438 of 2,605
Excellent news to report - my zana was picked up from the assembly house by craig yesterday and he is burning it in as we speak, so excited! Mine should be shipped out on Monday. I also just received a NOS original svetlana 6c33c tubes yesterday as well. Original svetlana boxes and packaging, tubes were perfect in their original sealed hermetic bags as well. These are even older than the ones ironbut referred to, the svetlanas were the 1st production run before it transferred to the Ulyanov factory. Apparently the quality slipped a bit to where the current ulyanov made 6c33c's have a failure rate of about 10%. My svetlanas have the old C logo, with the C inside a circle and the 6c33c label. Here is the link, mine is the one up top from svetlana the old C, the one ironbut is referring to is the ulyanov down the page 4 items, the older Y and the upside down looking rocket logo.

Russian Tube Factories and Logos

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #439 of 2,605
FYI for ZD owners....

a brief run down by Craig on the development of the ZD thru the various runs. According to him all those on the latest run are Serial 40 onwards.

Around serial 30 the 6DM4A rectifier
>>> was replaced with the 6D22S. The new rectifier has a lower source
>>> resistance, better regulation, tighter matching, more power
>>> handling ability. It lasts longer, sounds better, and is in
>>> current production. Initially it costs more because of the plate
>>> cap, but they are cheap if you ever have to replace them. Starting
>>> at serial 40 the power supply is improved, and the amp sports a
>>> custom plaque which replaces the silkscreen logo.

Wonder where my ZD is now..... probably winging its way across the Pacific. Can't wait!
icon10.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #440 of 2,605
Wow I got it just in time for the improvements! A great sounding and beautiful looking amp.

I compared it to some other amps (some in a totally different class though), and there's no turning back. Compared to a Grace 901, Little Dot Mk III, and Benchmark DAC1.

I found the LD MkIII had a similar musical nature, but the ZD was in a totally different world in terms of finesse and presentation. A Corvette compared to a Ferrari perhaps?

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #442 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by jooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recstar24: Where did you get your Svetlana 6C33Cs?

I got mine from an ebay seller jgalperin or something like that. Very good user, got mine shipped out quick and arrived in perfect condition. They are pricey though, if you wait a bit you might find one of the russian vendors on ebay selling the svetlana old c logo 6c33c's. There was one vendor who had a set of 8 for $200, that is $25 a tube! I got mine double that, he had another BIN for 4 for $100, I saw one user got 8 of them for $160, those are fantastic prices and you sure as hell got them cheaper than I did. I was okay because the tubes were still sealed in their original packaging, the russian vendors the quality may be different. Shipping is expensive too from russia so factor that in as well.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #443 of 2,605
Because of their longer life is thats why they are better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine from an ebay seller jgalperin or something like that. Very good user, got mine shipped out quick and arrived in perfect condition. They are pricey though, if you wait a bit you might find one of the russian vendors on ebay selling the svetlana old c logo 6c33c's. There was one vendor who had a set of 8 for $200, that is $25 a tube! I got mine double that, he had another BIN for 4 for $100, I saw one user got 8 of them for $160, those are fantastic prices and you sure as hell got them cheaper than I did. I was okay because the tubes were still sealed in their original packaging, the russian vendors the quality may be different. Shipping is expensive too from russia so factor that in as well.

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #446 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask how different ? Trying to get the big picture and history of upgrades based on serial numbers.

I heard the proto type ZD a few times in the past. It had a darker and lusher sound to it from what I recall. The one I have while still on the warmer side of things is has a bit more clarity and punch to it. It is working out ideally as a preamp in my speaker rig. I feared that it might be a bit too dark and congested and well with the changes to this run it is not.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #450 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to contact Craig through email : cuthus@charter.net.

But I got a Mail Delivery Failure Notice. Can somebody provide me with correct email address or a phone number.

Check this page at the bottom: Zana Deux

"For reviews or an opportunity to listen to the Zana Deux and other Eddie Current products, contact Craig Uthus at craig@eddiecurrent.com or (818) 224-3782. COPYRIGHT © 2006 Eddie Current No content within this web site may be copied or reproduced without permission. All rights reserved."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back