Eclectisism leavng me clueless.
Aug 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SoSpecial

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm a bit new to this scene and after years of sub par audio equipment I took the plunge into some audiophile "Approved" headphones when I purchased my HD201's as my first entry level cans. For $20 I got a hell of a deal I must say. This leaves me in a bit of a fix; however, I'm a little bit of an Eclectic, and I don't listen to 1 type of music. I like all music, of any kind and find myself listening to at least 6-9 genre's in a given day, all very different from the next.

I'm not a basshead, but I listen to enough hip hop and D&B that you'd think I was, but honestly I've never had the need. I like enough metal that it should be taken into consideration, and on the other end of the spectrum I also enjoy thing such a s reggae and various periods of ska( first and third wave mostly).

I'm looking into upgrading my current set up which right now is VERY entry level

Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster Audigy  SB0090, yes bottom of the line sound card, bought it used for ever ago for $5, I didn't know.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD201's
Amp: Ampless. . . Eventually, I don't need it yet honestly.

I've got a budget of $120 currently, that may go up if I can scrounge together a little more money but at the most it will be $220 by the 3rd. I'm not looking for the best in sound quality I'm just trying to get my monies worth and improve it overall.

On close or Open back, the best Headset i've ever been allowed to try is the HD555 which are open and incredible. Was totally blown alway, and I bought these 201's( which are also amazing for 16-20 dollars) because of the fact that I enjoyed the HD 555's so much. I'd say open was currently my preference, maybe something like AKG's Semi Open K240's would be nice as well.

A few headphones I am interested in would be. Not in any particular order just off the top of my head.
JVC RX700/900
Audio Technica AD700 maybe A700's
Grado SR60i/SR80i
AKG Acoustics K240
HD 555

I'm open to any and all suggestion  and yes I am aware the list I just gave are very varied on sound signatures, but within my price range those are the ones I am interested in purchasing so any information on their unique sound would help me greatly. ;D

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Maxell DHP ii

Please ignore the Amazon reviews - those dudes are idiots. $100 + sounding phones for $30 shipped. Do a search for reviews/impressions.

That's exactly why I put up the RX700's. How would you say those compare?

And are those open or closed back? The look to be Semi Open but it's really hard to judge by the pictures I am getting.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 10
They are semi-open.

I know the JVC's are highly regarded here but I honestly don't know why. The bass is overbearing and muddies up the midrange and the highs are siblant and just plain aggravating.

There's a guy named ljokerl on the forum. He has reviewed multiple headphones as can be seen here. He has the Maxells and they are his next review. He has also heard the JVC's. You should PM him and ask him which he likes more. He has already called the Maxell's the best of the small, budget circumnaural phones.

The JVC's are also semi-open - both of them.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Hello and welcome.

Your list of suggestions for your next headphones are spot on in terms of getting the best for your money.

Although, I noticed that you really enjoyed the HD555. If you enjoy something that much, you should probably get it.

Except...

I would recommend you the AD700 over the HD555 any day. Although I haven't heard the HD555, I have read many times that the AD700 is generally better in most, if not all, aspects. Some even claim the AD700 is *better* than the HD595, which is more than double the cost. I pretty certain the AD700 would blow you away even more than the HD555.

I actually consider the AD700's the best value in the headphone industry, period.

And as a proud owner of them for almost a year, I can easily say they are not only my favorite headphones I currently have, but I would recommend them over anything. Especially because of the phenomenal price to performance ratio.

Good luck in your search.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
They are semi-open.

I know the JVC's are highly regarded here but I honestly don't know why. The bass is overbearing and muddies up the midrange and the highs are siblant and just plain aggravating.

There's a guy named ljokerl on the forum. He has reviewed multiple headphones as can be seen here. He has the Maxells and they are his next review. He has also heard the JVC's. You should PM him and ask him which he likes more. He has already called the Maxell's the best of the small, budget circumnaural phones.

The JVC's are also semi-open - both of them.

Well some people really do enjoy bass, for me I don't care, I prefer accurate balanced sound.

I might wait for that review before I decide to pull any triggers, but so far I'm down to 3.

Grado SR-60i's
AD700's
AKG Acoustics K240's

All three are open backed, and they all have their unique sound signature. The AD700's are supposed to be analytical as far as sound reproduction goes, and their apparent likeness of the HD 555's. The Grado's are supposed to be really good metal and the bass is supposed to be punchy but not over powering which sounds perfect for me.

The only one that puzzles me is the K240's on paper they sound like they'd be good. The Originals of them were first produced back in 1986 and it's incredible to see the same design being used today, with minor changes I assume. I'd like to get someone who knows a little bit about them in here.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 10
I would probably stay away from the K240 if you are not using an amp.

The Grado's "lack of comfort" may also be a factor. Yes, many do find them comfortable, but for me, I cannot stand any type of "earpad" headphones. Even the ultra plush XB300. They also have a very forward sound, that is generally linked to why it's such a great rock/metal headphone. Soundstage is non existent though, meaning the sound will sound very 2D. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just different from what you are used to if you used the HD555.

The AD700 sounds the closest to the HD555 you tried. If you really liked the type of sound the HD555 gave you, then the AD700 would be an excellent choice. Although, many claim that bass is a problem. For me, it's most definitely not. Besides, you can always adjust the bass through the EQ if you want more of it's presence.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Accurate balanced sound, I would give the Sennheiser HD4x2-series a look. I found my HD428 to be very neutral for a headphone in its price range and it worked pretty good with whatever threw at it, musically. From Jazz to Metal, it all sounded very satisfying.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Accurate balanced sound, I would give the Sennheiser HD4x2-series a look. I found my HD428 to be very neutral for a headphone in its price range and it worked pretty good with whatever threw at it, musically. From Jazz to Metal, it all sounded very satisfying.

I'll have to keep this in mind, I haven't looked through to many of that series, nor have heard to much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back