EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Nov 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #961 of 1,260
  What in the comparison made you give up on the S-EM9, I'm curious.

I was hoping that the SEM9 has more sub bass rumble as I find the K10 and Andro a little lacking in deep bass. I also like treble extension of the Andro, its a only a few notches less than the Shure KSE1500, I really like the KSE 1500 treble (which is the best i ever heard in IEM). But hate the amp and fixed cable.  

"When it comes to low end, Andro has a little deeper sub-bass extension and a little more mid-bass punch, while 9 bass is a little more polite in comparison."

"Andro treble is crisper, has more sparkle and more airiness, while 9 is smoother and more relaxed."

"With low end, K10UA has a little more sub-bass rumble and a little stronger mid-bass punch."

"K10UA treble is a little more crisp and has a touch more sparkle."

I was hoping that the SEM9 has more sub bass and treble as good as Andro. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #963 of 1,260
Too bad you don't go custom, SE5 Ultimate would be what you need in subbass. Treble is also very extended but more smooth than sparkly.

You read my mind well. I have given up custom and prefer universal due to my shape of my ear.. I have a few customs IEM but I just can;t get  pass 3hrs without feeling ache. With universal, I can wear for 18hrs straight without feeling any pain.. Also all my custom always lose seal if I lie down in bed and listening music in bed is my fav pastime beside sex hehhehehe..  

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #964 of 1,260
You read my mind well. I have given up custom and prefer universal due to my shape of my ear.. I have a few customs IEM but I just can;t get  pass 3hrs without feeling ache. With universal, I can wear for 18hrs straight without feeling any pain.. Also all my custom always lose seal if I lie down in bed and listening music in bed is my fav pastime beside sex hehhehehe..  
You could try silicone (for music, not the other thing).

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #967 of 1,260
Concerning the Andromeda vs S-EM9.

Andromeda has more sparkle and treble prominence, and its treble is also thicker. But S-EM9 has a good deal better treble extension, it is more articulate, and generally more refined. S-EM9's treble might not be as prominent as the Andromedas (due to Andro's 9 KHz peak), it is not laidback in an absolute sense like a midcentric iem as the 8.2 or Zeus XIV. This is only relative speaking.

So Andromeda's and S-EM9's treble are very different and engaging in their own way: again, Andro's is thicker and more prominent, but S-EM9's has better definition and detail. So you definitely can't say Andromeda's treble is better; from a strictly technical perspective the S-EM9's is. But they are both great in their own way.

Concerning bass, the S-EM9 IMO has more mid-bass punch than the Andromeda. But it is important to note that this is directly related to the tips used. I use the provided ES biflanges, which give it a strong seal and powerful bass. Using spinfits or spiral dots makes the sound slightly cleaner, but attenuate bass impact.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #968 of 1,260
1000% agree with Nic. Bass will be dependent on eartip selection. There is a good reason Earsonics provided double flange tips, to enhance the seal. My ears don't work with such tips so I had to improvise with my mod.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #969 of 1,260
  Concerning the Andromeda vs S-EM9.

Andromeda has more sparkle and treble prominence, and its treble is also thicker. But S-EM9 has a good deal better treble extension, it is more articulate, and generally more refined. S-EM9's treble might not be as prominent as the Andromedas (due to Andro's 9 KHz peak), it is not laidback in an absolute sense like a midcentric iem as the 8.2 or Zeus XIV. This is only relative speaking.

So Andromeda's and S-EM9's treble are very different and engaging in their own way: again, Andro's is thicker and more prominent, but S-EM9's has better definition and detail. So you definitely can't say Andromeda's treble is better; from a strictly technical perspective the S-EM9's is. But they are both great in their own way.

Concerning bass, the S-EM9 IMO has more mid-bass punch than the Andromeda. But it is important to note that this is directly related to the tips used. I use the provided ES biflanges, which give it a strong seal and powerful bass. Using spinfits or spiral dots makes the sound slightly cleaner, but attenuate bass impact.

Thanks Nick for more feedback.. When you mention S-EM9 has a good deal better treble extension, do you mean the treble has an increase db at the far end of the extension like 9KHZ and above, hence more refine, better defination and detail. Kind of like KSE1500 vs Andro treble? 

Thanks again. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #970 of 1,260
Well treble extension is a bit of a misunderstood concept on the forum. People often associate treble extension with a certain amount of sparkle, as if the treble 'reaches' to a certain point in tonality so to speak. But a treble tuning is really determined by the amount of prominence in the 7 - 10 Khz region, and 98% of the iems have a treble rolloff around 9-10 KHz. So both bright and warm iems will have a similar treble extension (or rolloff) around 10 KHz, but differ in their tuning and tonality based on the 7 - 10 KHz region.

Treble extension refers to how far the treble goes before rolling off; as mentioned, this is usually around 9-10 KHz, but there are iems like Zeus, 5-way, NT6 and S-EM9 for instance that manage to extend up to 15 KHz or even further before rolling off. This doesn't directly affect the tonality, but technical aspects like stage airiness, overall resolution, transparency, treble definition etc. Once you know how to hear it, you can hear roughly how far a treble extends based on the presentation of the music. 

I only briefly heard KSE1500 at Canjam with tips that were too small, but I would say it has both excellent treble extension, as well as slightly prominent treble. It has higher resolution than Andromeda, and better defined treble. I couldn't say if has more or less prominent treble..

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #971 of 1,260
  Well treble extension is a bit of a misunderstood concept on the forum. People often associate treble extension with a certain amount of sparkle, as if the treble 'reaches' to a certain point in tonality so to speak. But a treble tuning is really determined by the amount of prominence in the 7 - 10 Khz region, and 98% of the iems have a treble rolloff around 9-10 KHz. So both bright and warm iems will have a similar treble extension (or rolloff) around 10 KHz, but differ in their tuning and tonality based on the 7 - 10 KHz region.

Treble extension refers to how far the treble goes before rolling off; as mentioned, this is usually around 9-10 KHz, but there are iems like Zeus, 5-way, NT6 and S-EM9 for instance that manage to extend up to 15 KHz or even further before rolling off. This doesn't directly affect the tonality, but technical aspects like stage airiness, overall resolution, transparency, treble definition etc. Once you know how to hear it, you can hear roughly how far a treble extends based on the presentation of the music. 

I only briefly heard KSE1500 at Canjam with tips that were too small, but I would say it has both excellent treble extension, as well as slightly prominent treble. It has higher resolution than Andromeda, and better defined treble. I couldn't say if has more or less prominent treble..

Thank you, very helpful 

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #974 of 1,260
Move along....back on topic.

P.S. once you guys have reported on a post, there is no need to reply to it on the public thread as that'll lead to multiple posts the mod has to sift through to delete.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #975 of 1,260

Please, what is treble sparkle, is it natural, I mean, would we have it at a live event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back