Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,456 of 1,687
The way I do it, it's like trying to pinch the tiny space between the connector and the shell, kind of rolling your fingertips against the shell.
Quote:
How am I suppose to detach the cable? I tried tugging on them as hard as I can but they won't budge. Should I be using pliers or something?

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #1,460 of 1,687
I tried to take my cables out also and its like they're glued so I'm not even going to try unless something happens to them.

The only reason I wont take the filter out is because I love the 3D presentation and soundstage and if that diminishes them then no way.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,461 of 1,687
Quote:
I tried to take my cables out also and its like they're glued so I'm not even going to try unless something happens to them.

The only reason I wont take the filter out is because I love the 3D presentation and soundstage and if that diminishes them then no way.

Yea my cable feels the same. I'm pondering using pliers haha

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,462 of 1,687
They sound much better defiltered believe me it sounds more in your face but soundstage and 3d still great, find them more detailed and a lot of clear but bright the bass didnt decrease but im using custom tips so with stock tips...

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,463 of 1,687
Quote:
I'm pulling it as hard as I can to the point where it hurts my fingers. Is it suppose to be like this?

Take your time doing so. Eventually, they will come off.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Dec 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,464 of 1,687
Quote:
They sound much better defiltered believe me it sounds more in your face but soundstage and 3d still great, find them more detailed and a lot of clear but bright the bass didnt decrease but im using custom tips so with stock tips...

I'm good, I love them just the way they are and don't wont anything to change and I don't like bright very much.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,465 of 1,687
I have been using my SM3 v1's for over 2 years now and still love them, but I did encounter a problem where one of my earpieces was slightly recessed and I found out that one of the filters was faulty.

I emailed ES and was told that I would have too send them in for repair, as they don't sell replacement filters on their own, but as this would cost me around £60 including postage, I just decided to keep them unfiltered.

The problem is that I want to compare the sound between the two, so does anyone want to sell their unwanted filters, or is there any other option?  

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #1,468 of 1,687
These really have ruined other good IEM's for me.  I got the Heaven IV I used to have back and I really liked them so I was happy to have them back but now after listening to the SM3 the Heaven sound a bit flat and the soundstage that I thought was quite spacious sounds much thinner and narrower now.  The GR07 which I started to really like sounds so dull and boring now, what have you done to me SM3?  I feel like for the sound signature I like the only IEM left that's quite a bit better than the SM3 is the TG334 so that means I have to come up with $1300 sometime to be able to buy those, oh how you've ruined me SM3.  Maybe the Senn IE800 will sound really good so I can save $500 and only have to spend $800, LOL.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,469 of 1,687
Man I just had a big scare with these just a minute ago.  I had my IEM's on and the pmp in my pocket walking and the cable got caught on a door handle and ripped the left housing out of my ear very hard, I thought the nozzle was broke for sure.  To my surprise they're fine and with not a crack or anything on them but they did get ripped out really hard because the tip was still in my ear.  I've done that now probably 3 times over the past year so I need to be much more cognitive about my surroundings.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,470 of 1,687
I am SM3-less. The left ear suddenly became muffled. Thought it was the cable, but since the bass driver is working, I'm pretty sure its the dual mid/treble driver or the crossover or the wiring. Since I am out of warranty (bought it used), i guess I may need to save up for the V2, or maybe the SM64. I'll dissect this and see if I can fix it. For now, hello Ba200.

I never thought I would say this, but the BA200's soundstage became so small coming from the SM3.
Mids not as lush, bass impact is considerably less, detail retrieval reduced. The only thing that the BA200 does better is left and right separation. Imaging is better and eaiser to pinpoint left or rigth. The SM3's seems to confuse the listener about where each sound is coming from. But I think the whole thing is part of the SM3's magic to make it seem to dissappear leaving you with just the music.

It's been an hour since it broke and I miss it already. But don't get me wrong, I personally think the BA200 offers about 90% of the Sm3's performance. SQ and soundstage wise. But that 10% is what I am missing badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back