Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Dec 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,382 of 1,687
I've probably already listen to the SM3 that I got at 2 PM yesterday for around 8 to 10 hours, that's how much I like them.  They're the closest to perfect for what I'm looking for in an IEM and they sound awesome with edm.  Why some people think mid-centric IEM's aren't good for edm I'll never understand because what frequency handles the majority of the music, its the mids.  The SM3's mids are great and along with the awesome 3D imaging I haven't heard anything better for edm.

I'm going to do a review that I'll post in the Head Gear section (I put some impression up already but nothing in depth) and I'm hoping its going to be my best, man I really like this IEM and totally understand why there is so many positive reviews and impression on them.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,385 of 1,687
I've probably already listen to the SM3 that I got at 2 PM yesterday for around 8 to 10 hours, that's how much I like them.  They're the closest to perfect for what I'm looking for in an IEM and they sound awesome with edm.  Why some people think mid-centric IEM's aren't good for edm I'll never understand because what frequency handles the majority of the music, its the mids.  The SM3's mids are great and along with the awesome 3D imaging I haven't heard anything better for edm.

I'm going to do a review that I'll post in the Head Gear section (I put some impression up already but nothing in depth) and I'm hoping its going to be my best, man I really like this IEM and totally understand why there is so many positive reviews and impression on them.

:) http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/etymotic-er-4-filter-removal-tool.php

Thank me later...that is, if you ever get the urge to hear that same awesome sound, but better detail in the treble and more impact to the bass. I will give a disclaimer that the treble does get a little harsh at times sans filters, but I personally prefer it.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,386 of 1,687
Quote:
:) http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/etymotic-er-4-filter-removal-tool.php
Thank me later...that is, if you ever get the urge to hear that same awesome sound, but better detail in the treble and more impact to the bass. I will give a disclaimer that the treble does get a little harsh at times sans filters, but I personally prefer it.

I like the treble the way it is plus I've actually had a bit of sibilance but I think it was more the recording than the IEM.  Looking at the filter they do look just like the same ones from Etymotic.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,387 of 1,687
Fair enough. How do you feel about the bass?

Also how would you compare them to the BA200?
Quote:

I like the treble the way it is plus I've actually had a bit of sibilance but I think it was more the recording than the IEM.  Looking at the filter they do look just like the same ones from Etymotic.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,388 of 1,687
Quote:
Fair enough. How do you feel about the bass?

Also how would you compare them to the BA200?

I really like the bass, it has quite a bit of punch to it and good depth.  With my J3 just on the regular BBE setting with not bass boost or anything they hit as hard as the 3.Ai which is pretty bassy its self.

The BA200 compares very well next to the SM3 and I would say to some it might be more a side step than a true upgrade.  I like the unique sound the SM3 has and the BA200 is more what a good warm monitor like IEM would sound like.  The mids are great on both and the SM3 mids aren't near as forward as what I was expecting.  The SM3 has quite a bit more bass impact and better depth as well as highs that have a little more sparkle to them.  Both are great sounding IEM's and I don't see myself selling either anytime soon.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,389 of 1,687
Interesting. Personally I was not fully satisfied with the SM3 at first; it has an almost flawless signature, but I wanted just a LITTLE more bass punch, and once I got the TF10, the SM3's treble just felt underwhelming. Now, without filters, I feel like I have the best of the SM3 and TF10 in one, with the ruler flat bass of the SM3 getting just a little more punch and the treble really showing off its technical ability, although it is more fatiguing without a warm source. However my new Nexus 4 has magically curbed any sibilance, and gives the bass a little more body. I will say that, with my Voodoo'd Infuse, which uses a Wolfson chip similar to the one in your J3, the de-filtered SM3 is a bit edgy, almost bright, even, and you may very well get the same result without filters, but for some reason with the Nexus 4 it sounds almost perfect to my ears.

I'm glad you're enjoying the SM3 though; don't let me talk you into voiding your warranty if you like them the way they are :p
Quote:

I really like the bass, it has quite a bit of punch to it and good depth.  With my J3 just on the regular BBE setting with not bass boost or anything they hit as hard as the 3.Ai which is pretty bassy its self.

The BA200 compares very well next to the SM3 and I would say to some it might be more a side step than a true upgrade.  I like the unique sound the SM3 has and the BA200 is more what a good warm monitor like IEM would sound like.  The mids are great on both and the SM3 mids aren't near as forward as what I was expecting.  The SM3 has quite a bit more bass impact and better depth as well as highs that have a little more sparkle to them.  Both are great sounding IEM's and I don't see myself selling either anytime soon.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #1,390 of 1,687
Interesting. Personally I was not fully satisfied with the SM3 at first; it has an almost flawless signature, but I wanted just a LITTLE more bass punch, and once I got the TF10, the SM3's treble just felt underwhelming. Now, without filters, I feel like I have the best of the SM3 and TF10 in one, with the ruler flat bass of the SM3 getting just a little more punch and the treble really showing off its technical ability, although it is more fatiguing without a warm source. However my new Nexus 4 has magically curbed any sibilance, and gives the bass a little more body. I will say that, with my Voodoo'd Infuse, which uses a Wolfson chip similar to the one in your J3, the de-filtered SM3 is a bit edgy, almost bright, even, and you may very well get the same result without filters, but for some reason with the Nexus 4 it sounds almost perfect to my ears.

I'm glad you're enjoying the SM3 though; don't let me talk you into voiding your warranty if you like them the way they are :p

The sm3 was my first step into the high end audio world, coming from the Hifiman RE-ZERO's which I love. As such, I really have nothing else to compare it to but I'll give it a go.

For me, coming from the RE-ZERO, this IEM was like a Godsend lol. Bass was ridiculous (in a good way) and a huge step up from the RE-ZERO's bass which was anemic by comparison, albeit accurate. The sm3 has bass in both quantity and quality.

Mids are great.

Treble on the sm3 to me, seems a little recessed, but not to the point where I would believe they're not worth the price. I think this is mainly due to me coming from the RE-ZERO which, in my opinion, had a fairly bright presentation. I think it's just gonna take a little brain burn in for me to get used to it, which is completely fine because I love these things already and treble isn't the most important part of the frequency to me. If you take a look at the frequency response graph for the sm3 you can see how the treble would be a little recessed. I can definitely see how these IEM's wouldn't be for everyone, but those that like them seem to REALLY like them.

I disagree with people who say they are dark. I would describe it as thick, which is interesting for a BA driver(s).

EDIT: I suppose if you bought an aftermarket silver cable for the sm3's they would have a brighter sound signature, but those cables are like $200+ and really not worth it to me personally. You could just buy another IEM at that price...

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,391 of 1,687
Quote:

Yeah I think they have plenty of treble for my taste and the bass at least to me has more punch and body than what I'd call a flat response.  My BA200 has more of what I'd say is a flat bass response, they have plenty of punch for me and depth is good but the SM3 sounds closer to what the TF10 and 3.Ai 's bass.  Another thing is the soundstage feels larger than when I first started to listen to them, to me its as wide as the BA200 and e-Q5,and with the superb 3D imaging they have makes it very satisfying.  Lastly the dual flange tips they come with are the best tips I've ever used, they fit great, create a perfect seal and are very comfortable.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,392 of 1,687
YES The SM3 biflanges are amazing, I second them being pretty much the best tips ever. If all manufacturers put as much care into the tips they package with their IEMs, I wouldn't have ziplock baggies full of generic black silicons.

Btw the SM3 is pretty much as flat as they come when we're talking about bass:

Quote:

Yeah I think they have plenty of treble for my taste and the bass at least to me has more punch and body than what I'd call a flat response.  My BA200 has more of what I'd say is a flat bass response, they have plenty of punch for me and depth is good but the SM3 sounds closer to what the TF10 and 3.Ai 's bass.  Another thing is the soundstage feels larger than when I first started to listen to them, to me its as wide as the BA200 and e-Q5,and with the superb 3D imaging they have makes it very satisfying.  Lastly the dual flange tips they come with are the best tips I've ever used, they fit great, create a perfect seal and are very comfortable.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,393 of 1,687
So I just attempted a minor repair on my right earpiece which has been precariously loose for about 4 months (warranty was already void), and I think I got superglue inside the unit. It's not playing any more.

I am SM3-less 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back