Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Aug 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,351 of 1,687
Quote:
Well yes obviously the sleeves cover the nozzle as well.
I'm second guessing myself now, I hadn't heard anything about Alien Ears before but now I feel discouraged. I wish another more reputable company made something comparable...anybody have any leads?

ACS and Sensaphonics make them - they don't list the SM3 as a compatible model but perhaps they'd be flexible?  Worth inquiring into it I think.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,353 of 1,687
I recently got a pair of SM3 v2 and I was enjoying the hell out of them until an hour ago. I plugged them into my laptop and the left earpiece is significantly lower than the right one. I tried changing tips and sources. I also switched the cable from one side to the other but the left side is still quieter. It almost sounds like one of the drivers in the left earpiece isn't working. Has anyone ever had any such a problem? Is there any place I can get them checked from or just contact earsonics and send them in for warranty repairs?

Any help is much appreciated. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,355 of 1,687
Still hooked with my SM3's , they do all I want from a in-ear....:D

Buying other gadgets....ehehe

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,356 of 1,687
Hey Gilly,

I was wondering if you could briefly descibe the difference between the TF10 and the SM3. I currently have the UM3X and the TF10 and am thinking of trading one for the SM3. I love the treble sparkle of the TF10 and the midrange of the UM3X and have been curious regarding the SM3 for a bit.

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,357 of 1,687
Hey folks, I've had my SM3 for about a week now and I'm in love.  I do, however, have smallish ears.  Can anyone recommend some slightly narrower bi-flanges?  I had the Etymotic Er-6i before these, and loved the small bi-flanges, so will those work on these headphones? I emailed Etymotic to inquire about the nozzle size of the Er-6i and they were a bit dodgy about giving me an answer, for whatever reason.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,358 of 1,687
Heya,

SM3s will not have the same sparkle, they will have plenty of air if you remove he filters and extension is good, but they would never be as lively as the TF10.

I haven't heard the UM3X but by all accounts they play in the same ballpark as SM3, so if you're going to give one up, you'll probably find the SM3 fills a similar role as UM3X, they are both stage monitors, so that might be the way to go. I have the SM3 and TF10 and to me they compliment each other perfectly.
Hey Gilly,

I was wondering if you could briefly descibe the difference between the TF10 and the SM3. I currently have the UM3X and the TF10 and am thinking of trading one for the SM3. I love the treble sparkle of the TF10 and the midrange of the UM3X and have been curious regarding the SM3 for a bit.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #1,359 of 1,687
God I just have to say that anyone who likes electronic music should find Infected Mushroom - Sa'eed in FLAC and listen. The articulation with which the SM3 handles the two different guitar parts around 4:00, one in each ear, is a testament to its coherence. I mean this song has so damn much going on that I think anything short of a multi-thousand dollar speaker/receiver/DAC combo would muddy it just a bit, but for a universal IEM, I really think the SM3 handles it admirably.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,360 of 1,687
Gilly are u using SM3's with filters or without them?

did you like it, and why?

thx

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,362 of 1,687
Thanks buddy, I'll try a shot.

In background ety filter tool is simply a screw thread, correct?

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #1,364 of 1,687
I've taken the filters of sm3's with a paper clip bent a little at tip. Came out easily without damaging the filters.

I'm also enjoying hearing the Sm3's unfiltered, so I'll use it for now, but I know a few weeks back will like listening with filters, it is a question of  chang a bit.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,365 of 1,687
Well, I've owned and enjoyed the sm3 v1 for over a year, now. You can find my latest posts about the sm3 v1 around page 50 or so. I can no longer hear from the left earpiece, and have lost my original invoice, so I likely won't be able to get it repaired. Here is what I have to say about them.

The sm3v1 had a very warm, laid back sound signature. Too much so for my liking. Originally, I kept finding myself annoyed by how much the bass was interfering with the presence of vocals. Now, keep in mind, 95% of the music I enjoy is vocal. I know how my favorite artists' natural voices sound, and the sm3v1 colored them with a thickness, a throatiness for lack of a better term. It made the vocal sound more expansive, which is not what I want. I want bass sounds such as drums to sound expansive, not vocals or guitars.

Now, I know people were having the impression that the sm3v1's treble is toned down. I think while that is somewhat true, it's partly owed to the fact that these iems were very warm, almost dark. I remember when I EQed down the bass, I could hear treble in just the right amount. One thing I found very interesting: either the re0 (which broke before I bought the sm3) had great sibilance control (which is surprising considering their brightness), or the sm3v1 had little to no sibilance control. One thing that bugged me was hearing pronounced "sss" sounds. Sometimes, it got quite piercing when played at moderately high volume. I kept finding myself EQing the sound to get the frequency spectrum to be somewhere between the overly bright RE0 and the sm3v1... the sweet spot, so to speak. I didn't want to obsess with EQing, so I just stopped and learned to get used to the sm3v1's sound. I think my ears also eventually got accustomed to the sibilance. That doesn't mean I've come to embrace it, though. I like the sm3v1, don't get me wrong. I just don't love it, or even like it a lot.

I sm3v1 added to my knowledge of sound signature, for which I don't regret spending the $300 on them. However, now that my sm3v1's are broken, I'm finding myself revisiting head-fi and my interests are directed towards Westone 4, ATH-CK10, and Westone ES5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back