Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Mar 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #889 of 1,687
No of course it isn't. Remember the SM3s were and are designed for performing musicians and as a result were intended to be worn down the back rather than the front. The slider is there to allow users to both hide and hold the cable in it's desired position. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #890 of 1,687

Quote:
the plastic thing is not some sort of strain reliever for another cable design fault is it? As in, after you cut it, you won't tear the split-earpiece cable 10x faster or something? (keep in mind, cables are NOT covered by Earsonics' dodgy warranty)

I cut the plastic slider off my SM3 several months ago and cannot see any ill effects yet.  I am sure others have done it too.  Keep in mind that the cable is very good to begin with, you do not see any posts where there are problems with the cable.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #891 of 1,687
I cut my slider yesterday. Easier to put on and wear now, except sometimes the thin cables slip off my ears and I need to reroute them again. I think previously the slider held the cables more tight on my ears. Overall, I still think cutting it was for the good, at least when wearing the cable down the front of the body.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #892 of 1,687

I cut the plastic slider off my SM3 several months ago and cannot see any ill effects yet.  I am sure others have done it too.  Keep in mind that the cable is very good to begin with, you do not see any posts where there are problems with the cable.

the cable on my pair failed in 6 months of careful use and not cutting the slider off. The y-split to earpiece bit is simply too short and some people will inevitably put a lot of stress on the cable near the y-split. Pretty sure I've seen more posts here about the cable going bye-bye

>Remember the SM3s were and are designed for performing musicians and as a result were intended to be worn down the back rather than the front. The slider is there to allow users to both hide and hold the cable in it's desired position.

thanks, interesting to know :)

mmm, wonder how much custom reshell with UM is going :D

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #894 of 1,687
I personally think it does, but it's a specialized IEM. It's to be used for home use at low to low mid volume levels with a relatively shallow seal. Overall it's more like full-size can in terms of usability (though same could be said for sound). 

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #895 of 1,687

Quote:
i wonder, if anyone of you ever experience and have the feeling that the fx700 is better overall than the sm3?

Although I don't have it anymore, the FX700 was my favorite universal IEM. The SM3, however, was also very  good, but they're two drastically different sound signatures. So more than arguing which one is better technically, I would say it would depend on the listener's choice of sound signature. I have always been one who could enjoy various sound signatures (only two sound signature I never really cared for: TF10  and the DBA-02).

After the FX700, I would say the SM2 is my favorite universal (out of the ones I've heard), then the SM3 and then the e-Q7 tied with the Custom 3.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #897 of 1,687
Hey guys, I've had my SM3's since last year summer and have been using them almost everyday since.. although I have to admit that there's a lack of sparkle to the highs, I've grown an appreciation for the addicting sound signature. I had accidentally forgot my SM3's in a shirt pocket as I got home for work and washed my shirt... I hadn't realized they were in there until I pulled the laundry out with my SM3's dangling from a pile of wet clothes.. I was heart broken and set them out to dry. The next day I plugged them in to see if they worked. Guess what? They did! A bit of a crackle from the damaged plug but hey, I ran to radio shack and picked up a mini plug and soldered it on... sounds exactly how they were and cured my withdrawals from not hearing them.. Are balanced armatures so resistant to water? Anyway, I'm happy the washing machine didn't kill them... =)

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #898 of 1,687
You did right not to try them before drying them first, otherwise, great chances that they wouldn't be same anymore.

Quote:
Hey guys, I've had my SM3's since last year summer and have been using them almost everyday since.. although I have to admit that there's a lack of sparkle to the highs, I've grown an appreciation for the addicting sound signature. I had accidentally forgot my SM3's in a shirt pocket as I got home for work and washed my shirt... I hadn't realized they were in there until I pulled the laundry out with my SM3's dangling from a pile of wet clothes.. I was heart broken and set them out to dry. The next day I plugged them in to see if they worked. Guess what? They did! A bit of a crackle from the damaged plug but hey, I ran to radio shack and picked up a mini plug and soldered it on... sounds exactly how they were and cured my withdrawals from not hearing them.. Are balanced armatures so resistant to water? Anyway, I'm happy the washing machine didn't kill them... =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back