Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Feb 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #557 of 1,687
See, this is why tips are such a subjective issue for owners. It's so hard to say that one shape is perfect for most users. Longer tips such as the Sensorcom ones, and triple flanges (of any brand), don't do anything for me. They simply are too long so that the backs are sticking out, and therefore I never get any kind of seal. My particular ears need a shorter tip, and the ones which work best for me with the SM3s are Monster Cable standard single flange silicones (non Super Tips) with a Shure Olive core stuffed in as a spacer. Once I found that magic tip (for my ears), I experienced the same benefits across the frequency range too. It was actually startling how much better they made the SM3.... 

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #558 of 1,687
Joined the SM3 team, so far I'm quite pleased and they're pretty much what I expected. Still have to get used to that BA bass but so far so good.

Anyone got a spare of the Sensorcom tips?

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #560 of 1,687
This IEM really doesn't need an amp especially with the sflo2 so save your money for something else down the road.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #561 of 1,687

Agreed.  The SM3 doesn't really need an amp, which I really like!  What you can do is get a good source like the J3.  But its up to you.  =)
Quote:
This IEM really doesn't need an amp especially with the sflo2 so save your money for something else down the road.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #563 of 1,687

Quote:
Any good amp to recommend?

Pairing my SM3 with sflo2.

Now looking for an amp.

Any comments on pico slim with sm3?

I have a sony nwz-s544 and its sound is very unsatisfying compared to the output of my uDAC. To get the best out of the sm3, I recommend a very high quality dap, or dac+amp. The HM 601 seems like a high value player, but for now, my uDAC brings out a lot of detail resolution out of these little darlings. However, this is my sm3x (sm3 EQed). I can guess that the stock sm3 might not scale up as well, or in the same way.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #564 of 1,687
Originally, I was planning on purchasing the W4 to compare with the sm3x; but every time I pop these in, double-click foobar, select a flac file and hit enter... any desire to "upgrade" fades away. It has happened again and again: I'd read impressions on head-fi, start to drool at some of them, play a song; and then the drooling stops immediately. Magic? Yes, the sm3x does sound magical.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #565 of 1,687
Reposting since I haven't got any responses :/

Hey guys, I had the shells of the housing split apart some time in November, and sent them to Earsonics in France on the 17th in the same month after getting the ok from them. Through December I was told they still hadn't received it, and now it seems that they are just ignoring me after I sent a few more emails expressing my worry :frowning2: Any suggestions?

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #566 of 1,687
How'd you ship them to Earsonics? Do you have tracking/proof of receipt? If you have proof they got the package, send that along and follow up with a phonecall. If you don't have proof of tracking and didn't insure the package? It would seem you're out of luck. Best you can do in that case is ask to purchase a pair at manufacturing cost and see if they'll give you some consideration. 
Quote:

Hey guys, I had the shells of the housing split apart some time in November, and sent them to Earsonics in France on the 17th in the same month after getting the ok from them. Through December I was told they still hadn't received it, and now it seems that they are just ignoring me after I sent a few more emails expressing my worry
frown.gif
Any suggestions?

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #567 of 1,687

Quote:
I have a sony nwz-s544 and its sound is very unsatisfying compared to the output of my uDAC. To get the best out of the sm3, I recommend a very high quality dap, or dac+amp. The HM 601 seems like a high value player, but for now, my uDAC brings out a lot of detail resolution out of these little darlings. However, this is my sm3x (sm3 EQed). I can guess that the stock sm3 might not scale up as well, or in the same way.

What EQ setting are you using?

Quote:

Hey guys, I had the shells of the housing split apart some time in November, and sent them to Earsonics in France on the 17th in the same month after getting the ok from them. Through December I was told they still hadn't received it, and now it seems that they are just ignoring me after I sent a few more emails expressing my worry
frown.gif
Any suggestions?

kaneman pretty much covered it.  I am not sure what options you have with your main service in Singapore, but in the US we can open investigations.  Not that they always work, but the more you ask, the higher the chance they find it IMO.  I have had packages, including my CK10 that went to the UK with tracking, lost.  The CK10 was an easy one due to the tracking and it turned up the day after I called, but other things have taken much much longer to get somewhere, up to 8 weeks and lots of communication.  Good luck.  If they don't turn up, hopefully Franck will give you a discount.  Let him know the situation and provide him with all appropriate documents (shipping receipt, original receipt, etc.).

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #568 of 1,687

Not bad just different, though I do wish it extended to the lowest of the low but that's nitpicking and not necessary. The extension is fine and the texture is clean, but perhaps too clean at times but that's a good thing. I think the timbre in the bass is what I'm missing here compared to the MDs and the subbass doesn't have that reverb of the MDs or even FX700s but it's close enough. I actually can accept it because it's a much more prudent bass that stays pretty linear and fixes the flaws of dynamics which is coloration added the low regions. 
Quote:
Quote:
Joined the SM3 team, so far I'm quite pleased and they're pretty much what I expected. Still have to get used to that BA bass but so far so good.

Anyone got a spare of the Sensorcom tips?

What about its bass are you not liking? For me, it's great except there's too much mid-to-upper quantity for my taste.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #569 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:

What EQ setting are you using?

Using foobar2k eq:
(increment value is 1 dB)
-4 55 Hz
-4 77 Hz
-4 110 Hz
-4 156 Hz
-4 220 Hz
-4 311 Hz
-3 440 Hz
-2 622 Hz
-1 880 Hz
0 1.2 kHz
0 1.8 kHz
0 2.5 kHz
0 3.5 kHz
0 5 kHz
-3 7 kHz (sibilance reduction)
-3 10 kHz (sibiliance reduction)
0 14 kHz
0 20 kHz

You can tell I'm a neutralhead. I still get plenty of extended bass out of this preset, but now, bass never gets in the way of the midrange; and no more excess warmth. I might tweak that in the future, but for now, it gives the sm3EQ great balance through the uDAC. I don't recommend using this EQ if you have too different sounding a source/amp.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #570 of 1,687
Thanks for the EQ settings...I was never really an EQer until I got the EP-10 Plus which have an absolutely amazing soundstage space, but are way too warm for me.  I might have to try the SM3 again with an EQ, and a better EQ plugin for winamp for the EP-10 Plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back