***Earbud Guide - 22 Earbuds compared***
Sep 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #346 of 611
Any idea how high-end earbuds sound in relation to IEMs? I have never seen, let alone heard any of them... Always been in IEM/full size territory.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #347 of 611
^ What do you consider a high-end earbud? Most expensive one I've tried is the CrossRoads (can't remember if it's HR1 or 2). They didn't isolate.

It's a design issue. Earbuds, by design, don't isolate. It's like open headphones--no matter how upmarket it is, it just does not isolate.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #348 of 611
Dec 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #350 of 611
Has anyone heard of TFTA (Thin Film Technology Acoustics)? Boring name, but their premium earbud TFTA 1101-V1 is not that bad, really. I just bought it, and after drawing the conclusion that it is the first earbud I have owned that might need burn in it now has around 20 hours. At first it was too bassy and very boxed in. Now it has opened up and the bass has calmed down a bit, while mids and highs have come forward.

The soundstage is not very wide, but it has actually got some real depth. Quite a nice find!

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #352 of 611

Quote:
Where did you buy them?  And how much were they?

I bought it on Ebay from the company that makes them, RMXdirect Limited. Just search for "TFTA" and you'll find it. Or you can buy it from the TFTA homepage.

The TFTA 1101-V1 cost me £50 or around $79 with shipping included. There is also a cheaper model called TFTA120-V1, which is reviewed here.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #353 of 611
I'm still using the Blox M2C earbuds....... :)   Hands down best "purchase" of 2011.  Yes they were given to me but I would of easily paid the $40 for them.   Well worth it.

This week I bought another IEM's the Klipsch Image X10s and in terms of the sound, if I had to pick one it would be the M2Cs. 

Despite the retail price of $400 Vs $40 IMO sound wise M2Cs beat them, for me anyways.

TFTA's look interesting but reading your review I don't think they would be for me.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #357 of 611
That is a very strong statement.  Those little buds must be quite amazing!  I always thought my PK2's had the biggest soundstage I have heard in an earbud. 

I won't say I will give up DT1350 (doesn't own one now, but have plan to get one next year) for M2c, but there is no deny M2c is quite a performer, especially when it comes to minimalistic setup

PK2's are great, I have them.  But when it comes to sound stage M2C is king.  I have not used my PK2s since getting the M2Cs.

Wait till you heard the BX III - still in prototype, but vastly better than M2c.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #358 of 611
Unamped, the M2C is pretty amazing, mostly due to its insane midrange which is just such a pleasure to listen to.  Its highs are never harsh or sibilant yet retain good engaging qualities.  Easily worth double if not triple its price right now.  Blox's CEO told me he wants everyone to be able to afford really great quality earbuds.  He did it out of love for all of us, considering its an improved TM5
( its like a super saiyan 2 TM5 rofl ) even at $40 its a steal.  

Mx980 is still the king, so far nothing beats IMO.  Excited beyond reason to hear the BX III.  I want more info on it *drools.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #359 of 611
Easily worth double if not triple its price right now.

No doubt

Mx980 is still the king, so far nothing beats IMO.  Excited beyond reason to hear the BX III.  I want more info on it *drools.

Listened to MX980 the other day, not quite as impressive as the price tag has suggested (Sennheiser showroom so it is MSRP). I were planning to get it but it was out of stock (and I repeat again, "Sennheiser showroom", as in the one that run by their Asian HQ in Singapore). I ended up went to next door (which is Creative showroom) and picked up a pair of Creative Aurvana Air as it is half of its original price now - have no regret whatsoever and actually rather glad I bought Aurvana Air instead of MX980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back