***Earbud Guide - 22 Earbuds compared***
May 31, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #151 of 611
I scored a pair of MX880s off amazon for $50 and they're honestly the best value I've found in quality earbuds. Sound quality is superior to the PK1s imho. I did give the MX980s a try, and really only noticed a small sonic improvement over the MX880s, but that may very well be due to the fact that the 980s were a tad too large for a proper fit. The MX880s push the limit in that regard & just barely fit, but the 980s were over the edge. 

They're not the most comfortable buds & the volume control is a joke, but sq more than makes up for it. 

May 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #152 of 611

Quote:
Very earnest review, I appreciate your work and those times that I miss my PK-#'s I have this "not-so-little" swbf2cheater voice in my head saying "dude, the MX-#80 kills it."

I want to put some MX-#80's "to the test"...

Unamped, the Mx880 is a much nicer deal than the PK1.  However, the mx880 doesn't really scale up too much, its easily driven and highly efficient.  The Pk1 is not efficient and scales up a good amount with proper amping.  So, if you have a good portable amp, I think the Pk1 might be the better option even though its soundstage and bass are very inferior to the mx880.  Overall sound quality is roughly on par and im sure if you are using a good amp, both sets will sound similar in SQ but i give the edge to the mx880 because its bass quality is without question better than the pk1, the pk1 has that light airy someone blowing in your ear type bass, where as the mx880 has a noticeably deeper and thicker experience.    

Its all about presentation and what works for you.  I don't know if the Mx880 KILLS it, but to my ears it was just as good in some areas and inferior in others like positioning where the pk1 was nicer.  

May 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #153 of 611
I love my mx980, but I think I will sell it soon. I have bought some pk3 which I think will do the earbud role, I mean I only use my mx980 at lab where I can't use isolation. But the thing is that there are a lot of noise from lab equipments which when you add to no isolation turns sound fidelity in a gimmick.
And when I add that to the fact that my custom earphones are vented, it is no more a must to keep the mx980.

May 31, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #154 of 611
I've been wondering if I would replace my earbuds with PK3 or try the Sennheisers...so thank you for all of the impressions.

@swbfcheater, after spending more time with all of the earbuds it is nice to see that the MX series doesn't totally "kill" the PK series and there are goods and bads with both. From my experience with all of the PK's, I like the value and sound proposition of the PK3. Will look at prices for MX-880 though when it's time to get earbuds again.

Cheers!

May 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #155 of 611
All of the sennheisers outside of the mx580 have that typical "sennheiser distant presentation"  In my experience anyone who liked the Yuin experience ended up not enjoying the sennheisers.  Basically ( mostly anyway) because of the positioning in that the Yuins were upfront and lively.

the BeB, the 9wave NW Studio, and the Yuin series are all upfront and lively.  Most of the others are more distant in sound sig :)
Wait until mid to late july for the 9wave to go on sale, I'll make sure to post a link to everything hehe, otherwise if you cant stretch your budget that far, the BeB might be a better choice if you want a Pk3 clone :)

May 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #156 of 611
Hmmm...sounds like I will just get PK3's again.

I did like PK1 and have amps but PK3 and no amp + price is great.

Will take one more look at your MX580 and BeB review in comparison to PK3.

Might just get both MX580 and PK3 later, they're not expensive!

May 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #158 of 611
Sure, I can check them against the PK3 and PK1 in my office too...thanks!

I get a little worried perspiring with my customs in at the gym because I wouldn't want to hurt them.

Don't worry- I will only compare them when I am completely at rest 
tongue.gif

I'll PM you soon!

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #160 of 611
Hey, the Blue Ever Blue's are only $25.

For the shipping and post office trips, I appreciate it but I think I need to just buy and do a 3-way shootout between PK3/MX580/BeB.

Gonna be a busy month so will probably do next month...the website for BeB has a price list but where are they for sale?

Thanks swbf!
C

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #161 of 611
They are on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/the-Black-HDSS%C2%AE-Earbuds/dp/B005340N5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306956812&sr=8-1

$20 street price can't go wrong!

kjk1281 has the BeB and MX580 but he is on vacation so no comparisons yet. At least I'm pretty sure he still has the MX580's.

I've had the MX471, MX880, and PK2. I've liked the BeB best and also my old Gigabeat stock buds. I traded my Gigabeat buds to a fellow head-fier and he said they were way better than his MX580 and sold them. You can also look up my old MX880 thread. After having a few of the new Senns I came to the conclusion that they share a driver but different thickness pads and changing of the front grill(position of and number of the holes drilled out) for better air flow/performance are the difference between the MX880/580/471. MX580 are the sweet spot and one to get of the three esp. with the reports of the MX880 breaking all too often.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #162 of 611
i recently discovered a way to make my OMX980's a lot more wearable.   even though i think they sound great, sometimes i get annoyed at how they feel and threaten to sell them.

then i dug around and found some of those little foam covers for the buds, but they were thicker and cushier than the stock ones.  I believe they came from a set of yuins i owned in the past.   Wow! what a difference.  they feel so much better. they fit snugly and actually feel like they are conforming to my ear, instead of how they felt before.. which was similar to trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. :wink: 

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #163 of 611

Quote:
i recently discovered a way to make my OMX980's a lot more wearable.   even though i think they sound great, sometimes i get annoyed at how they feel and threaten to sell them.

then i dug around and found some of those little foam covers for the buds, but they were thicker and cushier than the stock ones.  I believe they came from a set of yuins i owned in the past.   Wow! what a difference.  they feel so much better. they fit snugly and actually feel like they are conforming to my ear, instead of how they felt before.. which was similar to trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. :wink: 

Good find. You would not be able to tell us where those old foams came from, would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back