[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
Nov 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #76 of 183

Quote:

Thanks shane, kiteki and RedBull. As for the pics analogy, I thought it would work for the newbies and expected some criticism (for oversimplifying things) from the pros, but so far everyone seems to like it. So thanks again.
smile_phones.gif

Btw, I made another observation about the A1 vs. the SB lately. Took them for commuting and realized that the SB had noticably better isolation. Since they have the same vents and I also had similar tips and fit with both, this leaves IMO only the housing as defining factor. So it seems the SB's much heavier brass housing provides better isolation than the A1's lighter aluminium one.

Don't forget that flat cable also blocks about 1/2 of the total venting.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #78 of 183
[size=x-small]Hi James[/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks for your very good review. I am Very curious about your eventual inclusion of the eq5 in the review. At this point I think I will get the fad sb model although I did read that it is dold out everywhere. My favourite iem upto this point is the monster turbine pro copper. I do worry a bit if the midrange of the sb model might be a bit laid back for me but the treble seems as I like it. How would you say the soundstage of these iems are? Do they give you an out of the head feel? And how is fit/comfort and seal? I still need to take a look at the moving armature models by grado but their fullsize headphones wre never my cup of tea because of lack of soundstage.[/size]
[size=x-small]One last question: how doe you clean these iems? Do you need to remove filters?[/size]
[size=x-small]I was also thinking abuot the audio technica ck100 but I do think the model from fad might give a better overall balance in frequencies.[/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks in advance[/size]
[size=x-small]Greetings, Anouk,[/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #80 of 183
Thanks Anouk! Yes I'm planning to include the e-Q5 within the next weeks. Since it is IMO very similar to the e-Q7 with maybe just a little bit less forward mids and more forward treble, you can just substitute e-Q7 by e-Q5 in the meantime to get a rough picture.

Concerning the SB, yes it is the most V-shaped of these phones, but still only very slightly as compared to some dynamics I've heard. So you don't have to worry about the mids, the don't really sound recessed. Soundstage is above average to my ears with all of them, though the e-Q5 sounds a tad more narrow if I wear them downwards, probably because of the different angle between their nozzle and my ear canals. The FADs sound a bit airier than the Ortofons, whether due to their vents or just their more forward treble I don't know. But again it's not a very significant difference. Fit is easier with the FADs, because their housing tapers towards the nozzle, whereas isolation is noticably better with the closed Ortofons over the vented FADs.

I don't think the FADs have removable filters, but the e-Q5 come with spare filters and a cleaning tool.

As for the GR10, I sure am interested (if only for the sake of completeness :wink:. They aren't easily available outside of the US though and I somehow doubt they'll be enough different from the other MAs to be worth spendin another $400. Maybe as a loaner, we'll see...

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #82 of 183
I just knew you were going to get the GR10 eventually :) e-Q5 looks interesting but curse that slightly bigger than tolerable housing. I'd love to pick up a e-Q7 or e-Q5 since I absolutely loved the sound but my ears didn't like it much at times.

I guess the e-Q5 and e-Q7 competes against each other which is somewhat odd for a manufacturer to do. The e-Q5 seems to be very similar but has less accessories and a different strain relief system by the housing.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #83 of 183
Great review james! I'm happy with the fact that I won't need to get the e-q7 (wallet says thank yooooou
biggrin.gif
). The 5's mids are just perfect for me and they have wonderful texture and quality. The cable gives me the jitters a little bit but my frame of reference is the pana hje900 which I could probably use as a flail in a mythological greek battle between mankind and the gods and they would probably still sound just fine at the end
wink.gif
. Overall I am very happy with them, they really make me feel like I am listening to the music live

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #84 of 183
Quote:
I just knew you were going to get the GR10 eventually :)

Let's just say I caved in for the sake of mankind and a greater good.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
I guess the e-Q5 and e-Q7 competes against each other which is somewhat odd for a manufacturer to do. The e-Q5 seems to be very similar but has less accessories and a different strain relief system by the housing.

I agree it's a bit odd. From what I've heard the e-Q5 was meant as a more affordable and less fancy alternative. But street prices are not yet much lower (ClieOS said because of short supply). So I guess the decisive factor for prospective buyers would most likely be design.

Quote:
Great review james! I'm happy with the fact that I won't need to get the e-q7 (wallet says thank yooooou
biggrin.gif
). The 5's mids are just perfect for me and they have wonderful texture and quality. The cable gives me the jitters a little bit but my frame of reference is the pana hje900 which I could probably use as a flail in a mythological greek battle between mankind and the gods and they would probably still sound just fine at the end
wink.gif
. Overall I am very happy with them, they really make me feel like I am listening to the music live

Thanks, and glad you like your e-Q5! As for the jitters, concluding from Ortofon's overall impeccable build quality, I trust them that there's proper internal strain relief. Concerning the "live feeling", I've never heard more transparent phones than the e-Q5 and e-Q7. Some time back I wrote about the e-Q7 that I feel a bit like looking out through a more ore less coloured and/or tainted glass window with every other phone, whereas the Ortofons make me feel like someone opened the window.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #85 of 183

Quote:
Quote:
I just knew you were going to get the GR10 eventually :)

Let's just say I caved in for the sake of mankind and a greater good.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

I agree it's a bit odd. From what I've heard the e-Q5 was meant as a more affordable and less fancy alternative. But street prices are not yet much lower (ClieOS said because of short supply). So I guess the decisive factor for prospective buyers would most likely be design.

Quote:
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Thanks, and glad you like your e-Q5! As for the jitters, concluding from Ortofon's overall impeccable build quality, I trust them that there's proper internal strain relief. Concerning the "live feeling", I've never heard more transparent phones than the e-Q5 and e-Q7. Some time back I wrote about the e-Q7 that I feel a bit like looking out through a more ore less coloured and/or tainted glass window with every other phone, whereas the Ortofons make me feel like someone opened the window.
smile_phones.gif

Very true about the transparency, I can just kick back and listen without worrying about picking out the details. Next up... the JVC fx 700 
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #88 of 183
Nice review. Gives a good perspective on their character and subtle differences to the E-q7. Sounds like these are a deal. Your description also sounds a lot like the GR10 except I'd say the top doesn't seem favored while still extended. I find the bass sounds pretty much like the source and a couple db down at 20hz. I more easily hear the true differences between sources etc. from these than any others I've owned. Not much of a sig and I suspect the e-q5 the same in this respect. Did notice break in with the Grado. I suspect this driver design is inherantly linear and low distortion regardless of differences. There is no way the 25% tolerance is correct. If you know coils, you'd understand why. Must be a missing decimal point.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #89 of 183
Thanks for the lovely review!
@James, where I live, the eQ-5, e-Q7 and the BA-SB (Heaven S) are all priced around the same (US $280 plus or minus 20)
What do you suggest would be a good one for me - for pop/jazz and techno music?
Or do you think the DDM or IE7 would be a better choice?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back