[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #91 of 183
Quote:
Thanks for the lovely review!
@James, where I live, the eQ-5, e-Q7 and the BA-SB (Heaven S) are all priced around the same (US $280 plus or minus 20)
What do you suggest would be a good one for me - for pop/jazz and techno music?
Or do you think the DDM or IE7 would be a better choice?
Thanks!

Hmmm, afraid I'm not the right person to ask about techno, as I hardly ever listen to this genre. I suppose with techno you'd want very deep bass, so the DDMs would probably be a better choice than the Ortofons or FADs which don't reach below 30Hz. For pop/jazz all of these would be good choices and you'd probably consider which design and cables you like better. I have not heard the IE7, so I can't comment on these.

Btw the new Radius TWF21 will be out soon and priced similarly to the Ortofons, so it might be advisable to wait a little with your decision.

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #92 of 183

Quote:
Thanks for the lovely review!
@James, where I live, the eQ-5, e-Q7 and the BA-SB (Heaven S) are all priced around the same (US $280 plus or minus 20)
What do you suggest would be a good one for me - for pop/jazz and techno music?
Or do you think the DDM or IE7 would be a better choice?
Thanks!

I actually think for synthesised instruments like those used in techno, the DDM was not the best option as compared to my FInal Audio A1's. (Heaven A). While the bass response is impressive, the sound of the DDM's was a little diffuse. The speed, sharpness and 'cleanness' of tone given by the balanced armature / moving armatures on the A1's worked really well for electronic effects. Then again, the SM3 is one step better. Thats just my personal taste though.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #93 of 183
Just got the A1 and SB as a loaner from James. The A1s are probably my favorite BA to date, haven't listened to the SB yet.

Good timing as there seems to be an upcoming model being released called the SA (Heaven C). It seems very related to the A1 (they have the same description) and it also uses an aluminum housing except with chrome plating. I am guessing the differences are going to be slight or maybe the chrome plating is the only difference, very curious nevertheless. Dimitri will probably be able to answer this first. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #94 of 183
Thanks for the update. I've become quite fond of the A1 (more so than the of the SB) over time and keep recommending them on several occasions, but most people here seem to be very skeptical about Final Audio's products. Granted their cable quality is somewhat lacking, but nevertheless I think the A1 are one of the best buys out there when it comes to sound quality.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #95 of 183

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I've become quite fond of the A1 (more so than the of the SB) over time and keep recommending them on several occasions, but most people here seem to be very skeptical about Final Audio's products. Granted their cable quality is somewhat lacking, but nevertheless I think the A1 are one of the best buys out there when it comes to sound quality.

James, A1 is a better buy then e-Q5 or e-Q7 in your opinion?

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #96 of 183
^ There's still no huge difference between these to my ears, but yes I've come to prefer the A1's sound quality over both Ortofons by a slight margin. Throw in their easier and more comfortable fit and they're undoubtedly worth a recommendation.

On the other hand the Ortofons have slightly better isolation and cords that don't stiffen that much in cold weather, so ultimately it depends upon one's preferences, as usual.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #97 of 183
One of the brave men of hf.org \m/ These are really helpful comparo for those of us venturing the different sound of IEMs. More power and IEMs to you chief :D

Quote:
Turns out this question is the straw to break the camel's back.
I wanna get to the bottom of things.
I wanna find out.
I'm gonna get the GR10.
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #98 of 183
3 cheers for eq-5's =)

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #99 of 183
Been listening to the SB as of late and I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Been listening to them with mostly jazz and latin music. As I kind of expected, these portray brass really well and not just because of the brass housing but also because they have the proper energy in the upper mids. These probably have the best timbre I've heard from a BA (along with the A1), it's like a mix of the FX500's timbre with the EQ7's. The treble isn't as smooth as the A1s and can be harsh at times but I actually find it quite OK for the most part. Definitely prefer it this way compared to a treble like the SM3's, which doesn't take any risks and ends up sounding dull and realistic as a result. Compared to the EX600, it's actually just a bit clearer in the midrange, but it's bass is softer. Speaking of which, it's very similar to the EQ7's bass, it's not that punchy but well textured. All in all, it's either on par or slightly higher than the EQ7/EQ5 and EX600 in technical regards IMO. It's a more specialized sound though, they're quite versatile but not the extent of the other IEMs mentioned. 

Isolation is very good with the Monster Foam Supertips, guessing Joker will give it like 4 in this regard. On par with the EQ7/5s isolation (maybe slightly less) and actually more comfortable than the Ortofons despite it's heavier weight IME. The cable is odd as it's very stiff, long and thick. I learned to live with it though, I tuck the cable inside my shorts or use a JVC cable winder, use a shirt clip and then I'm good to go. 

I don't like the pricing at all though, 200-250$ sounds more reasonable. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #100 of 183
I swapped my A1's for e-Q5's, and while I did get tired of the A1's at times because they could be slightly harsher, to be honest I miss them compared to the e-Q5s where the sound really doesn't stand out to me quite as much among the other earphones I have. Also, although I hated the A1 cable for being so frighteningly flimsy, I found them a lot easier to use and more comfortable than the e-Q5's system. I find it a little fussy and unreliable to wear the e-Q5's over the ear.

If FAD puts out a second generation A1, I may just snap it up again. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #101 of 183
Comparing the EQ7,EQ5,SB and A1. The 5s sound too thin, the 7s are too thick, but the FADs are just right.

Also, the SB has the biggest dynamic range I heard from a BA along with the Se535/530.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #102 of 183
mvw2 has the A1 and has the SB on his way. He'll probably write something comprehensive about these 2 FADs, so that's something to look forward to. 

Supertips are the best with these FADs, it gives me more isolation than the Ortofons with any gel tip. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #103 of 183
Thanks for the heads up, I'm also looking forward to mvw2's treatise on them.
wink.gif

Did you actually get better isolation with the vented FADs vs. the closed Ortofons? That's quite remarkable - I have one of these SuperTips sampler packs here, but not much luck so far with any of my IEMs.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #104 of 183
Well the Ortofons are probably a bit better with the same supertips in regards to isolation, but it's really so close I'll say they're equal for the most part. These isolate like your standard vented dynamic like the RE-Zero, Xcape V1, etc. What also works really well is Meelec double flanges (or UE single flange) with some Jays foam underneath the wider flange ala Foam Sony Hybrids. Foam really helps isolation if attached at the end with almost any tip. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #105 of 183

Quote: mvw2 
I do feel the A1 is better than the SB.  The SB comes across a little smoother, warmer, but it sounds like an attempt to be like maybe a "tube amp" edition or something.  It ends up being too smooth and loses resolution for it.  The sound stage and perceptible reality of that space is more blurred and softer.  The A1 is bit more transparent and "real."  The stage space is more believable and more clear in the mind.  I think the SB may be a little better balanced overall, but the A1 isn't super bright or off enough in some way to really deter from the experience.  More information just shows through with the A1, and that's nice.  

It's interesting listening to the e-Q7 next to the FAD products.  In some lights I still enjoy the e-Q7 like it's good texture and balance,  It's a warm, full sound, but still open and natural.  The SB sounds slightly too warm and smoothed in comparsion, but the A1 shares the openness of the e-Q7.  I have said in the past that the e-Q7 has a shortcoming.  It has a problem with subtlety where you need to play the earphones pretty loud to bring forth the quiet information and bring out the realism and believability of the sound stage.  The FADs don't have this problem and offer a much more linear and natural dynamic range.  They really highlight this fault of the e-Q7.  The absolute detail of the e-Q7 isn't a leader either.  It's softer in detail, textured, but softened in micro detail.  Stuff bends together and hides away in comparison to more highly detailed earphones.  The FADs again show strength in improved detail over the e-Q7.  I think the SB and e-Q7 are more on par with each other but offering a somewhat different sound.  The SB is smoothed and warmed while the e-Q7 is a little more natural and gritty.  The A1 however beats them both, offering a more open sound like the e-Q7 but more clarity and air than the smoothed SB.

I happen to have my CK100 still and have always enjoyed this earphone.  It's not the most textured earphone being BA based, certainly nothing like the FX700, but it's highly detailed and highly dynamic.  I have a while ago leaned towards the e-Q7 over the CK100 not because the e-Q7 was technically better but because the e-Q7 was more balanced overall for a broad spectrum of use.  The e-Q7 is an excellent total package that works with a ton of things.  The CK100 is one I've always really liked though, always enjoyed.  The FAD A1 and CK100 are a close match in overall performance.  They are a little different from each other, but the CK100 matches the detail and speed as well as separation and stage space.  These two are really on par with each other and kind of show the SB and e-Q7 lagging behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back