[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
Sep 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #106 of 183
^ Thanks for relaying mw2's impressions, they're always a joy to read. While there's a lot to agree with here, I'm honestly a bit stumped regarding the CK100, as these were not among my favorite phones, whereas I really like the A1.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #107 of 183
Well that's personal preference. When Matt mentions the CK100, he starts talking about how each IEM will rank technically, he finds the CK100 and A1 more detailed and proficient than the EQ7 and SB. If it came to personal preferences, I think he'll rank the A1 and EQ7 higher than the CK100. You like me seem to value that bass texture/extension that gives an IEM that natural full bodied sound, Matt looks for this as well and thus admits it isn't that textured and flawed in this regard. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #108 of 183
I just stuck the FI-BA-A1 in my ears and wow, these sound very pleasing and they love the zo!  With the extra sub bass oomph from the zo, these can easily compete with the more expensive W4.  Crisp, clear and enjoyable.  Nice.

edit: Now I've tried the FI-BA-SB.  I think I agree with what was said the page before about these sounding like the tube amp edition.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #109 of 183
Coming from the e-Q5, FX700, and EX1000 as my top 3 currently most preferred in-ears (subject to change of course), would the A1 or SB appeal to me? If so, which one per se?

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #111 of 183
Forgot about the C model. Noticed that for the first time just earlier today actually. 
blink.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #112 of 183
I recommend the A1 which I've come to prefer (slightly) over the e-Q5. The SB are an acquired taste, since they have a strange coloring that has been described as 'tubey' by some.

I have the heaven c on order and will post my impressions when they arrive.

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #114 of 183
I recommend the A1 which I've come to prefer (slightly) over the e-Q5. The SB are an acquired taste, since they have a strange coloring that has been described as 'tubey' by some.

Very much looking forward to your impressions. Going to the post office now to pick up the a1's.

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #116 of 183
Coming from the e-Q5, FX700, and EX1000 as my top 3 currently most preferred in-ears (subject to change of course), would the A1 or SB appeal to me? If so, which one per se?

The A1 is pretty much a more v-shaped EQ5. The A1 actually has much more bass than even the EQ7 by a noticeable amount, but it's kind of balanced by more treble so you don't really have an apparent picture of the hump. Pretty much the A1 will be what the EQ7 or 5 sound like with about 5db more in the treble and bass. The soundstage is pretty nice and airy though, more in terms of the EX1000 (by a bit). Also the driver has excellent speed and imaging that puts it on par with IEMs like the CK10 or DBA02 in this regard. 

The SB is even more v-shaped (by a hair), but I think it gets more bass than treble in the process. It's bass actually manages to color the midrange a bit ala FXT90, Tandems or GR07s. The lower treble needs taming as well. What makes these hard to recommend is the ridiculous price and the unpractical cable (long, thick, stiff and microphonic). 

I'll put the FADs on par with the Ortofons, but I think the Ortofons are more versatile and natural. The FADs are more in your face and impressive at first. Also, FADs work better at low volume levels and Ortofons in louder environments. 

I have a feeling these are just the A1s with improved build quality. Looking forward to your impressions nevertheless. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #117 of 183
Quote:
I have a feeling these are just the A1s with improved build quality.

That would be perfectly fine with me, as I'm still reluctant to use my precious FI-BA-SS on the move. The A1's sound signature is as close as it gets to the SS for considerably less money, and if the SC improve on their build quality, they'll become my SS substitute for mobile use.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #118 of 183
Quote:
Quote:

Please post back your initial impressions of the A1, as I'm considering getting a pair myself. 
redface.gif

The truck is still out delivering stuff
mad.gif
. I'll have first impressions up tomorrow for sure though. I'm pretty excited about these! They could be THE ONE.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #120 of 183
I'm an A1 fan myself too.  If they were $200 I'd definitely snatch me a pair.  I wish the GR07 sounded like them because I love their ergonomics.  

Not sure I'd call the SB 'tubey' tbh, it's just more 'wrong' than tubey.  
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back