DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Oct 14, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #8,491 of 14,084

New iFi iDSD Micro arrives tomorrow.  Can't wait to get it set up and burned-in.  Eager to hear if there is any appreciable difference between the soundstage and clarity that the DX90 does natively.  (Which to my ears is EXCELLENT.)

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #8,492 of 14,084
New iFi iDSD Micro arrives tomorrow.  Can't wait to get it set up and burned-in.  Eager to hear if there is any appreciable difference between the soundstage and clarity that the DX90 does natively.  (Which to my ears is EXCELLENT.)

… I found the DX90 flat sounding and not as natural/analog coming from the iDSD… It's livable as I got them to pair with colored IEMs (better synergy) and as the differences are less noticeable (but still quite) while on-the-go. They both benefit from tons of burn in.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #8,493 of 14,084
I have been using the DX90 in my FJ Cruiser today. Excellent sound, much better than the onboard unit. I actually get imaging and some depth in front of me. The sound is exceptional for a car with voice very realistic. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #8,494 of 14,084
Can you please recommend me an eBay or Amazon seller which offers a "Genuine" Galaxy SIII battery to use with the DX90 ? 

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #8,496 of 14,084
Also interested in battery recommendations. I know they were around earlier in the thread, now, though, people will ave tried out some of them. It would be great to hear impressions/comparisons.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #8,497 of 14,084
Hi !  Was wondering if anyone experience a loud pop if you plug in your headphones when you turn on DX90?  Will it destroy your headphones?

Many thanks

There should not be a loud pop as the DX90 has build in relays. What you should hear is a mechanical click from the actual unit as the relays engage

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #8,498 of 14,084
Hi NC8000

Thanks for your reply.  I hear the pop in my headphones as well as the mechanical click of the relay.  Its no biggie for me to plug in the 'phones after the DX-90 is booted.

Just want to see if this is common and normal.

Thanks again

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #8,499 of 14,084
Also interested in battery recommendations. I know they were around earlier in the thread, now, though, people will ave tried out some of them. It would be great to hear impressions/comparisons.

I've done extensive battery tests, as it really has a big effect on the sound. I have samsung, kinps, anker, gold and pisen. Samsung is easily the best, no point comparing to the rest. But a major problem is getting a genuine one. I have 10 samsung batteries, 6 of them are fake, and I can tell fake from genuine purely by the sound, and that is the only way! Both the fake and genuine batteries look 100% identical physically!

The most interesting part is that among genuine samsung batteries there are three different types-, Cell made in Japan, Cell made in Korea, Cell made in China, and their sound quality is also in that order, best to worse. (yes I have all three)

[size=12.8000001907349px]The difference between a good battery and a bad battery is internal impedance (lower is better), the two big factors this effects sonically are extension on both ends (bass, treble) and frequency balance, from a transparency point of view.[/size]

I literally can hear my Japan battery extending further in bass and higher in treble than the Korean battery, lets call it one notch more. The balance  of frequencies is perfect, nothing boosted, everything remarkably tight and extended. Low internal impedance =  extended, balanced, [size=12.7272720336914px]transparent.[/size]

Comparing to the Korean battery, the extension audibly does not extend as deep or as high, The higher internal impedance also has another effect, it bumps up the mid bass and lower treble, causing a more V shaped sound, and the bump is not a clean bump, as in the mid bass becomes boomier and louder, same as the treble, it gets splashier, as well as louder. And I'm not confusing the bumped mid bass and treble for less extention, there is literally a higher cut off for bass and a lower cut off for treble as well as the bumps. The mids also lose some clarity, sounding more congested. Basically the combination of all these effects is what I'm calling a lowering of transparency, as the sound is no longer true to the music file or even the rest of the DX90 hardware.

Also remember all these effects are only "1 notch" worse than the Japan battery (its about 5% to me), so its not as bad as I'm making it sound, but for an audiophile like me its bad enough to make me happy to spend even $150 on a genuine Japan battery (not that I have, but its worth that much to me), its seriously worth it to me, as its the only way to get the DX90's true untainted sound, I find the DX90's pure balanced sound to be a beautiful thing. The reason I have 10 samsung batteries is I'm still hunting for more Japan batteries! I have two at the moment 
biggrin.gif
 I'm still hunting for more, that's how much I love them. Without them the DX90 is no longer a reference DAP imo, for critical listening they are a must have.

So yeah, don't get me wrong, the genuine Korean version is still a notch better than the genuine Chinese one, which is a notch better than the anker, pisen types, which are better than the samsung fakes.

Also remember when I say a notch lower, its a notch lower in all the sound components mentioned previously, there is no "sound signature" differences between batteries, just internal impedance difference which has the previous mentioned effects. You could say one battery sounds crap and the other one sounds good though 
biggrin.gif

It amazes me the difference the battery can make! Makes me truly wonder how good are the batteries in other daps, especially since you can't swap for other batteries in most daps! I feel the Japan samsung battery is essentially the epitome of battery quality, which is why I'm trying to collect at least 4 of them, so I can be using my DX90 long into the future, I just don't trust the batteries in those other daps! Its DX90 for me all the way, plus DX90 plus Japan battery does equal faultless sound in my opinion.

Also interesting to note is that all these sound changes also carry through to the DX90's Line out! So using a lesser battery is not going to be remedied by using an external amp. And the japan battery provides beautifully extended and balanced sound out of the line out. I

FYI I have bat ears, also fyi I'm not the only person to have come to the conclusion that Japan battery sounds best, there aren't many of us, but I suspect that mostly has to do with the extreme scarcity of the genuine Japan batteries, and also the complete mess with fake batteries, I have several fake batteries that say Cell made in Japan, but clearly don't sound like they were!

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #8,500 of 14,084
Got a pair of Mad Dog phones with Alpha pads arriving today - interested in trying them out with the DX90.  Anybody else try this?  It will mostly be for long flights - so, if the dx90 does not have the power to drive them well, I might consider a portable amp.  If so, has anybody used the ifi iCan nano with the dx90?  I take a lot of long flights....

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #8,501 of 14,084
Oct 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,502 of 14,084
Extended Battery

Any recommendation for an extended battery for DX90?
Where should i begin to look for a reliable and a large capacity S3 battery. 
The stock one is miserable for travelling.

thanks

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #8,503 of 14,084
Thank you for your detailed description of the different types of Samsung Batteries. But can you give us a website where we can buy at least 1 battery "made in Japan" to get started with the best quality ?

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #8,505 of 14,084
Did you try batteries from Mugen Power? They are not cheap, but what if they worth their price?

I havent tried Mugen, but I am curious now so am ordering one now to compare!

There is no particular place to buy them, jusy got to get lucky, keep in mind that there are many fake batteries, some say made in japan. I personally think 60-70% of the batteries on ebay are fake. Best way is to find a local shop that sells samsung batteries then try find one that says made in japan and hope its genuine.

If buying from ebay then try to buy an official samsung accessory pack that comes in a samsung box, as its much more likely to be genuine than the single batteries being sold. For example, look for official boxed "samsung extra battery kit" or also "samsung essentials gift pack".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back