DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Oct 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #8,506 of 14,084
  i'm using dx90 with rsa shadow.. the synergy is outstanding... improving my tf10 to much better.. 

I have the same setup out to my SE846's...There is just something the Shadow brings out in the DX90 that the internal amp can't seem to match.

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #8,508 of 14,084
  Got a pair of Mad Dog phones with Alpha pads arriving today - interested in trying them out with the DX90.  Anybody else try this?  It will mostly be for long flights - so, if the dx90 does not have the power to drive them well, I might consider a portable amp.  If so, has anybody used the ifi iCan nano with the dx90?  I take a lot of long flights....

Well the iFi iDSD Micro is rated for 14hrs in "ECO" mode, 10hrs in "NORMAL" mode, and 6hrs in "TURBO" mode.  And it has TONS of power, so unless you're trying to drive some heavy-duty "Home Audiophile" cans, I can't imagine anything portable needing more than "NORMAL"  AND MORE LIKELY, you will be able to get by with "ECO" mode.  On top of that, if your DX90's battery dies, you can charge it off of the iDSDs *Correction*4800mAh internal battery, or since the iDSD is also a REALLY nice DAC, you could substitute-out your iPhone/iPad if you have one and bypass the internal Apple DAC for the superior iDSD's DAC. (The same goes for Android OTG connectivity if you have an Android-based phone instead.)

Mine just arrived and I can't wait to finish burning it in!

Ken N.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #8,509 of 14,084
Apologies for the silly question. If I wanted to use the DX90's line out into an ALO Audio 'The National' it's just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm like this yeah?

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=60

I use a Line Out Dock from my iPod to it but want to try it with the DX90

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #8,510 of 14,084
Yep

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #8,511 of 14,084
Well the iFi iDSD Micro is rated for 14hrs in "ECO" mode, 10hrs in "NORMAL" mode, and 6hrs in "TURBO" mode.  And it has TONS of power, so unless you're trying to drive some heavy-duty "Home Audiophile" cans, I can't imagine anything portable needing more than "NORMAL"  AND MORE LIKELY, you will be able to get by with "ECO" mode.  On top of that, if your DX90's battery dies, you can charge it off of the iDSDs *Correction*4800mAh internal battery, or since the iDSD is also a REALLY nice DAC, you could substitute-out your iPhone/iPad if you have one and bypass the internal Apple DAC for the superior iDSD's DAC. (The same goes for Android OTG connectivity if you have an Android-based phone instead.)

Mine just arrived and I can't wait to finish burning it in!

Ken N.

I am using the iFi micro with DX90 via coax. and it is pure heaven. Drives anything from IEM's to my 300 ohm Sennheiser's with great synergy.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #8,513 of 14,084
  Extended Battery

Any recommendation for an extended battery for DX90?
Where should i begin to look for a reliable and a large capacity S3 battery. 
The stock one is miserable for travelling.

thanks

Replacing the stock DX90 battery with a Samsung OEM made a big difference.  Recently my son fell asleep with his headphones on.  Amazingly the next morning (9 hours later) the DX90 was still playing!  The original battery rarely ever achieved 4 hours.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #8,514 of 14,084
Yes, I really like the Samsung batteries as well but I have the Korean made though I did solder two together, which will give twice the run time and an even lower ESR. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #8,515 of 14,084
Ok - I checked out the Mad Dog headphones with the DX90, and the internal amp doesn't quite make them sing - so, I am thinking of an external amp, but I am trying to keep it under $200. Which of the following have people heard with the DX90 and can comment on the synergy and added oomph they offer?:

Ifi iCan Nano
Headstage Arrow 3g (used)
Cayin C5
JDS Labs C5
Pico Headamp (used)

I would consider the RSA Shadow, but it seems they are hard to find even used in the $200 ballpark

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #8,516 of 14,084
Yesterday I borrowed a battery from my test Samsung i9300 (I have a lot of devices for tests at my work), made in Korea. Its run time is almost the same as Pisen, but it is two years old (May 11, 2012), though hardly used, equivalent of only half a year of general use. So, I assume that comparision between old Pisen and new Samsung batteries is not that correct, though it is possible that Pisen batteries degrade faster.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #8,517 of 14,084
I think the pisen is a good quality battery. It lasts close enough to the Samsung to not really notice. The Samsung just sounds better and I can confirm that 2 Samsung soldered together is the way to go. I suspect the extra long playing times come from a combo of lower bit rates and low volume. I can't remember the last time I slept for 9 hours.
frown.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #8,518 of 14,084
  Replacing the stock DX90 battery with a Samsung OEM made a big difference.  Recently my son fell asleep with his headphones on.  Amazingly the next morning (9 hours later) the DX90 was still playing!  The original battery rarely ever achieved 4 hours.

What you are saying is meaningless. In same condition of use, there is not a huge difference like that. From less than 4hours to 9hours ? Come on... Or you had a really crappy one Pisen battery, and I am sorry for you.

Personally, I achieved 8h30 more or less with the stock Pisen battery once (without interact with the device of course). 4h30 to 6h30 in "normal" use. I think the capacity is lower since (which is sadly the doom of all battery), but not that much. Anyway, your Samsung battery will loose a bit of her capacity too, after some use.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #8,519 of 14,084
  I think the pisen is a good quality battery. It lasts close enough to the Samsung to not really notice. The Samsung just sounds better and I can confirm that 2 Samsung soldered together is the way to go. I suspect the extra long playing times come from a combo of lower bit rates and low volume. I can't remember the last time I slept for 9 hours.
frown.gif

Hey i am beginning to be interested in this mod. Could you post a pic or two to share how the eventual look looks like. And you reckon just anybody can do this?

[EDIT] Just came across a site with step-by-step DIY to achieve this. Sharing here, hope this is allowed. 
<http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/accessories/samsung-4200mah-battery-mod-t1800177>

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #8,520 of 14,084
I wouldn't do it if you haven't soldered before. I was very fast about and the actual solder job could have looked better but it was safer this way. The ends are plastic and it would be very easy to overheat. Shaving away a bit of that plastic between the contacts doesn't hurt either.
You can just solder to an edge of the connection battery without all that solder in the connecting area but it's more difficult to make look good. Doesn't matter if they're good joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back