DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 11, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,081 of 14,084
  Hey guys. Just got confirmation from ibasso. The DX90 should able to release next week!!
tongue_smile.gif

iBasso Audio (ibassoaudio@gmail.com)

Hi,
Thank you for your concern.
We should able to releaes the DX90 in next week.
Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Great news!

I just noticed your signature... You really should try the K10 with a PB2. They get even better!

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,082 of 14,084
  Great news!

I just noticed your signature... You really should try the K10 with a PB2. They get even better!

Please Soren. No more poison, I beg you!

biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #1,083 of 14,084
  Please Soren. No more poison, I beg you!

biggrin.gif

He's so far in, he might as well go full retard - the K10 is awesome but driving it with a balanced amp really makes it come alive. I was actually quite surprised that balanced drive made such a big difference with a BA ciem!

Hence my previous requests about balanced output from the DX90 - Going fully balanced could be fun!

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,084 of 14,084

He's so far in, he might as well go full retard - the K10 is awesome but driving it with a balanced amp really makes it come alive. I was actually quite surprised that balanced drive made such a big difference with a BA ciem!

Hence my previous requests about balanced output from the DX90 - Going fully balanced could be fun!

Haha fair enough! Few DAPs have balanced HO or LO unfortunately, it just hasn't caught on yet.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,086 of 14,084
HI there

Just joined forum. The DX-50 has grabbed my interest recently and now the DX-90. Been a Sony guy for years, even from the 80s Sony Walkman WM-2 Cassette and many other incarnations/formats.  Recently dug out my hard disc NW-HD5  which sounds pretty decent but the most amazing thing is the battery life which is nothing short of incredible lasting over 30 hours. Sure, the display is monochrome and very basic which must have a positive affect.

Now the thing is when I look at the spec for the DX-90 I can't help but feel dissapointed with the expected battery life being only around 11 hours tops.What I want to know is what would be the biggest effect on the DX-50/90 battery? Say I was just using my Etymotic ER-4p where is the battery life going most?

Is it the GUI?
The fact it was built on Android?
The Amp section?
etc, etc.

I suppose the big plus is the removable battery, I am sure DX-90 it will be a great sounding player (will most likely still purchase)  but I just wish it had better battery life.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,087 of 14,084
You can get a 4400 mah battery. The cover wont fit but the silicone case keeps it in place. Should give you more like 20 hours

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,088 of 14,084
  HI there

Just joined forum. The DX-50 has grabbed my interest recently and now the DX-90. Been a Sony guy for years, even from the 70s Sony Walkman II Cassette and many other incarnations/formats.  Recently dug out my hard disc NW-HD5  which sounds pretty decent but the most amazing thing is the battery life which is nothing short of incredible lasting over 30 hours. Sure, the display is monochrome and very basic which must have a positive affect.

Now the thing is when I look at the spec for the DX-90 I can't help but feel dissapointed with the expected battery life being only around 11 hours tops.What I want to know is what would be the biggest effect on the DX-50/90 battery? Say I was just using my Etymotic ER-4p where is the battery life going most?

Is it the GUI?
The Amp section?
etc, etc.

I suppose the big plus is the removable battery, I am sure DX-90 it will be a great sounding player (will most likely still purchase)  but I just wish it had better battery life.

We've discussed battery life a few times in this thread. Here's one example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-es9018k2m-dacs-new-amp-section-coming-soon-to-the-high-end-dap-market/1020#post_10330545

If you're prepared to use a silicone case, and remove the back cover of the DAP, you can fit a substantially higher-capacity battery.

Not ideal, I know, but I'm just saying it's a potential option, if you feel so-inclined...

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,089 of 14,084
One of the main selling points for me with the DX50/90 is the user replaceable battery that doesn't cost a Benjamin (like the HM-801) to replace, and I've had good long term performance with Samsung batteries in general - not so with other popular DAPs.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,091 of 14,084
  We've discussed battery life a few times in this thread. Here's one example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-es9018k2m-dacs-new-amp-section-coming-soon-to-the-high-end-dap-market/1020#post_10330545

If you're prepared to use a silicone case, and remove the back cover of the DAP, you can fit a substantially higher-capacity battery.

Not ideal, I know, but I'm just saying it's a potential option, if you feel so-inclined...

Cheers Mython.

Don't think I could live with a sticky out battery though. I would most definitely get a second Samsung battery to switch out for long trips etc. If the battery was not easily swapped out I would not even consider this player as an option. I wonder if/hope a thinner 4400 mah battery will turn up on the market in the next 12/24 months. (I won't mention batteries again)

Also liking the design from the photos of the DX-50 a little bit different from all the smartphone/tablet tech!

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,092 of 14,084
  .... what would be the biggest effect on the DX-50/90 battery? Say I was just using my Etymotic ER-4p where is the battery life going most?

Is it the GUI?
The Amp section?
etc, etc.

The screen is medium-sized, and does not require a powerful graphics chip to drive it's mediocre number of pixels, but in any event, touchscreens, these days, are notorious for guzzling power. Android requires a reasonable CPU, so that's a not-insignifcant chunk, either, but the amp section will certainly take a big chunk, even if only being used to drive ER-4ps.

Efficiency just isn't great on any DAP that has an amp section worth its salt.  A Cowon J3 will run and run, but it lacks grunt in the amp section. The Rocoo and Studio DAPs, from HiSoundAudio, seem to strike a fairly good balance, though.  Sony's NW-ZX1 uses a Class-D amp section, which is intended for greater efficiency, but then it only kicks out a claimed 15mw+15mw at 16 ohms, so you don't get something for nothing.

Don't think I could live with a sticky out battery though.

China being what it is
wink.gif
, it wouldn't actually surprise me if some enterprising upstart didn't notice the gap in the (admittedly fairly small) market, and start producing an oversized back for the DX90, to cope with a high-capacity battery
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  I would most definitely get a second Samsung battery to switch out for long trips etc. If the battery was not easily swapped out I would not even consider this player as an option. I wonder if/hope a thinner 4400 mah battery will turn up on the market in the next 12/24 months. (I won't mention batteries again)

Batteries are unlikely to get significantly thinner within the next 12 months, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that, if I were you.

You're OK to discuss batteries here, as long as it's specifically in relation to the DX90, and thus far, it has been.  This thread's in a bit of a holding pattern until iBasso pull their fingers out, and release some fresh information. Until then, we may just as well discuss DX90 batteries as anything else!

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,093 of 14,084
Efficiency just isn't great on any DAP that has an amp section worth its salt. A Cowon J3 will run and run, but it lacks grunt in the amp section. The Rocoo and Studio DAPs, from HiSoundAudio, seem to strike a fairly good balance, though. Sony's NW-ZX1 uses a Class-D amp section, which is intended for greater efficiency, but then it only kicks out a claimed 15mw+15mw at 16 ohms, so you don't get something for nothing.

THIS. For an audiophile DAP, an 30hr battery life in the spec would either mean it doesn't sound too good, or it is freaking huge in size to me......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back