DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Aug 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #7,802 of 14,084
For years I've been wanting to replace my nearly 10 year old portable music player, the iRiver H320, but have always had a difficult time finding a suitable replacement. I felt like I finally found the match to meet my music player needs when I discovered the DX90, so last week I ordered 1.

Excited about my new music player, I went ahead and made another one of my long awaited audio purchases: new headphones, the AKG 702's. And if the amp on the DX90 is as good as everyone says it is, I felt like I wouldn't have any problem driving these headphones.

So now as I'm waiting for my audio gear to arrive, I was curious about other people who have paired the DX90 with the AKG 702s. I did some searching and found several people, including some discussion in this thread, mentioning the DX90 alone won't be enough to drive the AKG 702s to their full potential.

With so many people stating the DX90's built-in amp is so good it doesn't need an external amp, why am I also hearing the 702 can't be driven by a DX90 alone?

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #7,803 of 14,084
The DX90 amp is very good and will drive a large range of phones perfectly fine but some phones just demand a bit more (like my HE-500) and maybe your upcoming 702 (don't know, haven't heard them). You'll know when you get them

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #7,804 of 14,084
  For years I've been wanting to replace my nearly 10 year old portable music player, the iRiver H320, but have always had a difficult time finding a suitable replacement. I felt like I finally found the match to meet my music player needs when I discovered the DX90, so last week I ordered 1.

Excited about my new music player, I went ahead and made another one of my long awaited audio purchases: new headphones, the AKG 702's. And if the amp on the DX90 is as good as everyone says it is, I felt like I wouldn't have any problem driving these headphones.

So now as I'm waiting for my audio gear to arrive, I was curious about other people who have paired the DX90 with the AKG 702s. I did some searching and found several people, including some discussion in this thread, mentioning the DX90 alone won't be enough to drive the AKG 702s to their full potential.

With so many people stating the DX90's built-in amp is so good it doesn't need an external amp, why am I also hearing the 702 can't be driven by a DX90 alone?

While I have not tried the 702's I have the HD700's which have the same sensitivity but twice the load at 150 ohms. I have found that the amp in the DX90 can drive them just fine and similar to separate portable amps. It will not drive them to their full potential but I haven't found and portable amp that does better then my Lyr 2.  Therefore, I use it straight when remote or mobile and make use of its line out when at home with my Lyr 2. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #7,805 of 14,084
The DX90 amp is very good and will drive a large range of phones perfectly fine but some phones just demand a bit more (like my HE-500) and maybe your upcoming 702 (don't know, haven't heard them). You'll know when you get them

At least it drives LCD2 and k3003 well. IE800 needs to change filter to sharp roll off. Cannot say it drives T1 well.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #7,806 of 14,084
For years I've been wanting to replace my nearly 10 year old portable music player, the iRiver H320, buthave always had a difficult time finding a suitable replacement. I felt like I finally found the match to meet my music player needs when I discovered the DX90, so last week I ordered 1.

I'm using my DX90 with the Q701s and they sound great without anything extra. Don't worry too much about the "full potential". It would sound great through a $200 full size amp, and I'm pretty sure it would sound even better through a $1000 amp, and even better through a $2000 amp, maybe. I'm not interested in spending that much though when I get like 90%+ of what I can get with the DX90.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #7,807 of 14,084
I have the Q701 too, and yes the DX90 can drives the Q701 very well~~

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,808 of 14,084
Right now I'm deciding what player I want to  buy - DX50 vs DX90. DX90 has worse battery. But the main problem - I don't hear any differences between them (and between them of Fiio X5). Maybe I'm using wrong songs to catch this difference (flac, groups like Arena, Genesis, Shade Empire, so it's rock, metal). Maybe I don't know where exactly this difference is and what I should listen. Tomorrow I will go and listen them one more time. Maybe you help me, how to compare them, what songs I should use?
My earphones are CIEM AM6 HiRez.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7,809 of 14,084
If you can't hear a difference buy the DX50. For me, I do hear a difference in more spacial detail with the 90, and great detail in general. But, I find them both very musical and like the ability to change out batteries. Also the form factor works well for me. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #7,810 of 14,084
Right now I'm deciding what player I want to  buy - DX50 vs DX90. DX90 has worse battery. But the main problem - I don't hear any differences between them (and between them of Fiio X5). Maybe I'm using wrong songs to catch this difference (flac, groups like Arena, Genesis, Shade Empire, so it's rock, metal). Maybe I don't know where exactly this difference is and what I should listen. Tomorrow I will go and listen them one more time. Maybe you help me, how to compare them, what songs I should use?

My earphones are CIEM AM6 HiRez.

Quite often music of this genre is compressed and limited when mastered to increase the overall volume. This is referred to in the industry as the "Loudness Wars".

To detect subtle differences in the music and experience the greatest dynamic changes between the various DAP's, I would suggest trying a couple of classical recordings, even if these are not your preference in listening. Classical and Jazz recordings usually have less limiting and compression than other genre's such as pop, rock, etc.

Also, try using .wav classical or jazz files if you have any available.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #7,812 of 14,084

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #7,813 of 14,084
Aug 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #7,814 of 14,084
Can you recommend any specific songs?
dude almost all that I listen to is metal, rip a Pantera album using dbpoweramp into lossless (particularly Far Beyond Driven) you will hear the difference. Pantera has great recording quality.

Just remember that the difference most likely won't be details that you've never heard before but more so the PRESENTAITION of those same details.

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,815 of 14,084
Can you recommend any specific songs?

Within your genre Megadeath's Cryptic Writings could also be a possibillity as it has decent recording and mastering quality (the cd is actually done in hdcd, at least my copy is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back