DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #6,484 of 14,084
I recall R10 uses a bigger capacity than the dx100...anyway, thanks for clarifying...i guess holding out on this one pays off

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6,485 of 14,084
I recall R10 uses a bigger capacity than the dx100...anyway, thanks for clarifying...i guess holding out on this one pays off

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607423/i-basso-hdp-r-10-is-ibasso-dx-100-japan-version-impression-and-appreciation-thread/15#post_8344445

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,487 of 14,084
Any word on Mac driver? iBasso emailed me a week and a half ago - stating they weren't sure.... 

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #6,488 of 14,084
Just received my VSonic VC1000 to compliment the Dx90. And god they sound sweet.

The bass lacks a bit but i guess things will get better as they burn in.

Extremely light, comfy, great sounding :thumbsup:

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #6,490 of 14,084

Hi All,

Old returning member here.  Haven't logged in for years, but joined back in the early 2000s.  I've been lurking on and off though and thank you all for all the great thoughts on this expensive as hell hobby.

I got an X3 a couple weeks ago and figured I'd try the next step up.  Not that I didn't like the X3 but I was on a mission to be happy and satisfied.  The X3 didn't quite get me there.  So now, 2 hours ago, got my new DX90.  Holy Crapola!  Right out of the box, I updated the firmware, stuck a card of music in, grabbed my IE80's and....

This is the first time since my RIO Karma that my jaw just hit the floor.  I wasn't expecting this much improvement.  I'll be back later with a more thorough analysis, and also want to give it a few days to break in.  For reference, I'm coming from an iPhone 5s, which is actually pretty decent.  I liked the usability and musicality of the phone.

I do have one question, do I need to power down the unit completely, or will just suspending play be fine?  Seems really convenient if the screen is off and the play is suspended, but power up seems to take a while.

Glad to be a part of the group.  And thanks for all the great discussion.  Made my choice pretty easy after a lot of study.

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #6,491 of 14,084
I have picked up a DX90 and also 2 Samsung retail blister pack batteries. According to this thread the Japan batteries are the ones to get, are they still being produced? Both of my batteries are made and assembled in China and were produced just recently. Does anyone have any feedback on these batteries?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #6,492 of 14,084

I don't recall much buyers remorse from AK240 owners. It doesn't need to annihilate anything. It has to be good enough or enough better for the buyer to enjoy it. If a buyer that can afford whatever he wants doesn't really dig a $500 or even a $1k DAP regardless of how close it is overall, those would be a worse expenditure.

This is a most fair read. While I don't think the AK240 is worth its asking price, it has little to do with performance. It isn't made by a company that understand the hi-end market. I think it is a fine machine and much of it is well thought out. I would much rather use it than the DX90. It is faster, natively decodes DSD rather than using DoP, does balanced output, has loads of internal memory. There's loads to like about it. It is more fun to use. But iRiver do not, as a company impress me. It's the problem with them putting out a product that initially is flawed, and rather than fixing it at their expense, bringing out a newer one that operates far better for its intended market of earphones and portable headphones. They charge more for that model. Then they move to Android in just over a year, and pretty much abandon the old platform. This is what happens in the smartphone world, which is completely commodity. It does NOT happen in the luxury or hi-end world unless that hi-end brand is being pushed (and therefore, not properly in the hi-end) by cheap companies at the bottom. 

The iBasso DX90 indeed does outperform the AK240 for 16 bit playback. 24 bit seem similar. But it isn't as fun a player to use. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #6,493 of 14,084
  It does very well without an amp, but high end amps make it better. 

I'm unconvinced of this. Surely you will get a different sound (as mentioned earlier) but in terms of bettering the performance of the output, I doubt it. An amp can add things, like THD, or can narrow the stereo signal a bit, and help your ears put parts together better, but that isn't because the sound is better. It is because your ears are not used to hearing stereo like they hear in the DX90. It may even be too well delineated. A good crossfeed system would be the only thing that would help the DX90 sound more coherent for earphone and headphone listening. I don't know if that can be added via firmware. If not, it would rely on external hardware, which never, ever, can better the original signal. 

The only time an amp betters an internal signal is when that internal signal, under load, distorts, or otherwise suffers aberrations because of load. In that case, the amp will shoulder the burden. But its performance is limited by the source. It can only ever match the original signal. A copy is never as good. And an amp only takes in signal and then spits it out. In the case of the DX90, I very much doubt that any amp out there can match its excellent signal quality, let alone come close to it. An amp may give a different sound, but better, no.

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6,494 of 14,084
  I'm unconvinced of this. Surely you will get a different sound (as mentioned earlier) but in terms of bettering the performance of the output, I doubt it. An amp can add things, like THD, or can narrow the stereo signal a bit, and help your ears put parts together better, but that isn't because the sound is better. It is because your ears are not used to hearing stereo like they hear in the DX90. It may even be too well delineated. A good crossfeed system would be the only thing that would help the DX90 sound more coherent for earphone and headphone listening. I don't know if that can be added via firmware. If not, it would rely on external hardware, which never, ever, can better the original signal. 

The only time an amp betters an internal signal is when that internal signal, under load, distorts, or otherwise suffers aberrations because of load. In that case, the amp will shoulder the burden. But its performance is limited by the source. It can only ever match the original signal. A copy is never as good. And an amp only takes in signal and then spits it out. In the case of the DX90, I very much doubt that any amp out there can match its excellent signal quality, let alone come close to it. An amp may give a different sound, but better, no.

You have the internal amp of the player or you can choose to amp the LO.  You can choose which of the THD you prefer, the internal's or the external's.  So you are saying there is not better performing?  Do you not rate the products when you review?  In those reviews are the sound qualities not talked about in terms of better or worse qualities?

What is the meaning of the narrowing the stereo signal?  How is that done?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #6,495 of 14,084

One can just read the iBasso specification of the DX90 and understand its LO signal is of much better quality then that of the HO, let alone one actually listen and compare both. Unless you are talking about always taking the HO signal and double amp, I very much doubt that any amp out there CANNOT match the DX90 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back