DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,323 of 3,609
Quote:
If that's the case why are you owning so many?
wink.gif

Why I don't know what you mean!?
evil_smiley.gif

As of now I only have 2 DAPs.  Well not counting the iphone4 (I don't use it for music).... :p

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #1,325 of 3,609
Quote:
I was under the impression you had the RWAK100 and RWAK100-S and AK120. I was wrong
biggrin.gif

I was looking at the DX50 as a possible dap but with the AK120 around makes it hard to go for anything else.

Nope I had an RWA AK100 and sold it because I didn't like the sound. I preferred the Studio to it. I won't risk modding my AK120. I'm very happy with it as is and don't want to take the risk. I was not happy with the  RWA AK100 so I don't know if I'd honestly like the RWA AK120 or RWA AK120S either. Then factoring in I void my warranty and have to use an amp instead of having a choice just doesn't appeal to me. I'm glad if it works for others though.
biggrin.gif
I also have a Tera Player here that I'm borrowing. It's a nice unit. Still not better than the AK120.
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,326 of 3,609
Nope I had an RWA AK100 and sold it because I didn't like the sound. I preferred the Studio to it. I won't risk modding my AK120. I'm very happy with it as is and don't want to take the risk. I was not happy with the  RWA AK100 so I don't know if I'd honestly like the RWA AK120 or RWA AK120S either. Then factoring in I void my warranty and have to use an amp instead of having a choice just doesn't appeal to me. I'm glad if it works for others though. :D I also have a Tera Player here that I'm borrowing. It's a nice unit. Still not better than the AK120. :wink_face:
These days though it seems the sound of a DAP isn't solely based on the h/w (DAC, OpAmp, mods, etc.) but also by the firmware. Have you had a chance to listen to the RWAK100 with its newer firmware (may it be iRiver's 2.01 or Listrid's)?

It does concern me somewhat how much firmware plays a part in sound signatures - kinda makes impressions even more complicated.

Edit: & I didn't even touch the SDCard size vs sound impact topic :p!!

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #1,327 of 3,609
Quote:
These days though it seems the sound of a DAP isn't solely based on the h/w (DAC, OpAmp, mods, etc.) but also by the firmware. Have you had a chance to listen to the RWAK100 with its newer firmware (may it be iRiver's 2.01 or Listrid's)?

It does concern me somewhat how much firmware plays a part in sound signatures - kinda makes impressions even more complicated.

Edit: & I didn't even touch the SDCard size vs sound impact topic :p!!

Nope I updated it one time when I owned it. Didn't notice any changes in sound at that time. Still sounded rather harsh in the highs for me and the bass was bloated. With usage it did calm down a little but still was muddy and harsh for me. I was just glad to sell it off in the end. Was not very happy coming from the DX100 at that point :frowning2:.

Regarding the SD Cards well that's just what I hear. I'm not gonna purposely inconvenience myself if I didn't hear an appreciable difference. That really makes me wonder though what that one guys posted earlier on (the read speeds of the 32 GB cards being faster than the 64 GB cards?). Whatever it is I didn't like what I heard when comparing them. Now if I just wanted convenience and didn't mind sacrificing a bit of sound quality then I'd still have the 64 GB cards.

I agree it's strange how firmwares impact sound and how much it can impact sound. But I've been accustomed to this since the Studio V then the DX100 :p. Wasn't really expecting the AK120 to change in sound though as I didn't notice the RWA unit do this. But I'm guessing on the newer firmwares it does indeed change the sound?

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,328 of 3,609
Odd, I don't get that sound with the AK100 though it was my modification bypassing the 22ohm resistors. Sounds great with the JH13 pro and the RE600. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,334 of 3,609
...and so it goes, to & fro, to & fro...

deadhorse.gif

Let's just sit tight and see what happens, eh? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back