DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,337 of 3,609
Quote:
AK100 is horrible. It is not even in my list. Okay, I am not gonna start a discussion about AK100, so it is just my 2 cents.

I agree, it doesn't sound so great unmodified but modified, not bad but even with that, it can't touch the DX100 so I would suppose the DX50 will be better than the modified AK100 and hopefully much more affordable. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,338 of 3,609
I agree, it doesn't sound so great unmodified but modified, not bad but even with that, it can't touch the DX100 so I would suppose the DX50 will be better than the modified AK100 and hopefully much more affordable. 

I must say that I only held an AK100 in my hand, yet did not hear it.

When considering how much the Amps cost that iBasso offers, I do not believe that it will be over 300 usd. On the other hand, if there was much R&D on this product, then a higher price point could be possible.

Talking about the price is not fun... I would rather like to see some new details on the DX50.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #1,339 of 3,609
300 is the max. for me here too. For 400€ a AK100 is in the range.

Why shouldn't it be in the AK100 range? I fully expect DX50 to sound better than AK100, and not by a small margin, while AK100 still wins on form factor/UI/finishing. EUR/USD400 sounds legit to me and make it slightly (in Japan/Asia) or meaningfully (in US/EU) cheaper than AK100.

Just my very subjective opinion and guesses.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,340 of 3,609
Quote:
These days though it seems the sound of a DAP isn't solely based on the h/w (DAC, OpAmp, mods, etc.) but also by the firmware. Have you had a chance to listen to the RWAK100 with its newer firmware (may it be iRiver's 2.01 or Listrid's)?

It does concern me somewhat how much firmware plays a part in sound signatures - kinda makes impressions even more complicated.

Edit: & I didn't even touch the SDCard size vs sound impact topic :p!!

Quote:

Nope I updated it one time when I owned it. Didn't notice any changes in sound at that time. Still sounded rather harsh in the highs for me and the bass was bloated. With usage it did calm down a little but still was muddy and harsh for me. I was just glad to sell it off in the end. Was not very happy coming from the DX100 at that point :frowning2:.

Regarding the SD Cards well that's just what I hear. I'm not gonna purposely inconvenience myself if I didn't hear an appreciable difference. That really makes me wonder though what that one guys posted earlier on (the read speeds of the 32 GB cards being faster than the 64 GB cards?). Whatever it is I didn't like what I heard when comparing them. Now if I just wanted convenience and didn't mind sacrificing a bit of sound quality then I'd still have the 64 GB cards.

I agree it's strange how firmwares impact sound and how much it can impact sound. But I've been accustomed to this since the Studio V then the DX100 :p. Wasn't really expecting the AK120 to change in sound though as I didn't notice the RWA unit do this. But I'm guessing on the newer firmwares it does indeed change the sound?

haha, yes, the difference with sd cards...

well at least with the Hisound Studio 3rd Anniv. the 64gb sd cards did turn out to be quite noisy for the first couple of seconds of every track.

I switched out to a 32gb and no more weird noises while accessing the tracks. That same 64gb micro sd worked perfectly fine on my Rocoo BA...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------A guy I bought my Miracles from e-mailed me that the DX50 would be available beginnings of august at a price of 300-400 euros. He didn't say where he got the information from though...

I heard the DX50 once lit a school on fire just to watch it burn!
size]

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,342 of 3,609
AK100 is horrible. It is not even in my list. Okay, I am not gonna start a discussion about AK100, so it is just my 2 cents.
Now thar is a bit an exaggeration...did you own it? I think ak100 modded with Listrid sounded great. Let us not say dx50 will sound better for sure as there is no certainty.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,343 of 3,609
Quote:

haha, yes, the difference with sd cards...

well at least with the Hisound Studio 3rd Anniv. the 64gb sd cards did turn out to be quite noisy for the first couple of seconds of every track.

I switched out to a 32gb and no more weird noises while accessing the tracks. That same 64gb micro sd worked perfectly fine on my Rocoo BA...

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,344 of 3,609
Quote:
Now thar is a bit an exaggeration...did you own it? I think ak100 modded with Listrid sounded great. Let us not say dx50 will sound better for sure as there is no certainty.

I did not own it but I think for AK100, I have enough source to read to understand more or less how does it compare. What I said horrible is stock AK100 without a mod, without an amp.

If you pair with an amp which is carefully chosen for your needs and you install the firmware you like, with the mods you have done, it turns into a darn nice device. Then again, if I am gonna do that many things, I would just buy AK120. Modding it costs money as well as pairing with an amp. So I would put a little bit more and get AK120 instead.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,345 of 3,609
Quote:
I did not own it but I think for AK100, I have enough source to read to understand more or less how does it compare. What I said horrible is stock AK100 without a mod, without an amp.

If you pair with an amp which is carefully chosen for your needs and you install the firmware you like, with the mods you have done, it turns into a darn nice device. Then again, if I am gonna do that many things, I would just buy AK120. Modding it costs money as well as pairing with an amp. So I would put a little bit more and get AK120 instead.

There's a lot of exaggeration on both sides thrown around in regards to the AK100. Best thing to do is try it before you knock it. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,347 of 3,609
Quote:

You seem quite excited about the AK100 in the RSA Lightning thread......
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back