DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Nov 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #12,736 of 13,478
I suspect its not a learning curve issue here, I have seven dap's and I come from a similar background, The AK Daps look funky and have nice SQ. I have two witch I use regularly and the software is strait down the line. four ways to alter the volume *** :). Its different with the DX220.... It has 'Personality' :). I suffered the same issues at first, but after getting all the AMP's and even customising my AMP8 and getting a custom made case. So I learned to live with the 'Personality'. While Ibasso do try to fix bugs and add features, it takes them forever. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for these things to get fixed. I have to say I stick with my SR25 or SE200 for daily use as they just work. You have to love the sound of the DX220 and accept its 'Charms' if you want to end up loving it like most of us do...

They never put this into the reviews right, Its a bit like getting married :)....

I am not an Android fan to say the least. I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 years ago and hated it. I will simply have to adapt to the DX220's way of working and it'll take time.

Just got ibasso dx220

7158C27C-4A89-421D-AAAE-1C0ED7033EE0.jpeg

Congrats!

Strange, I use the DX220 daily and don't have any issues. I have AK as well and Sony. I don't experience any real bugs and talk about a long time to do any fixes, try Sony who is very slow to never, as in daps and my Sony cameras. And AK isn't that fast either. I do like using the AMP8 a lot. It is all good. For the music! :^)

All manufacturers are slow to fix issues - fixing issues costs $$$ and it really needs to be a decent issue for them to authorise a fix.

My dx220 works fine too. However, is charging really this slow? Feels like it takes five minutes to charge 1%.

Mine charged pretty good with a standard 5v 2a charger. Took about 2 hours to go from 50% to full charge.

Boy does this bad boy run hot though. I hope it's not going to be a problem in the hot Australian climate.

The screen on the DX220 is brilliant

Yes!

Apparently the fast charge chargers sort of negotiate a charging protocol.

yes that is my understanding. The device announces its voltage operating details, and the fast charger sets the voltage and the amps to match Just remember that p=i*v (power = current x volts). power is measured in watts (well, electrical power that is). So, if the fast charger is 25w and the device is 9v, it'll set the current to 25/9. Since electrical devices will only draw the current that they need, an amp mismatch isn't an issue (unless it's under powered, then that is an issue). Voltage matching is far, far, far more important. I learnt this when doing 3 years support as the sole tech support for the entirety of Australia and NZ for DYMO. The amount of people that I experienced who would just pick up any old charger and use it was astounding lol. Call me evil, but it was a lot of fun talking to an end customer who'd picked up a 2v charger for a 9v device, plugged it in, heard a loud bang and then complained that their DYMO unit was broken and wanted a refund lol.

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #12,737 of 13,478
Mine charged pretty good with a standard 5v 2a charger. Took about 2 hours to go from 50% to full charge.

Boy does this bad boy run hot though. I hope it's not going to be a problem in the hot Australian climate.

Yeah mine is getting pretty hot too after one or two hours of usage

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #12,738 of 13,478
Yeah mine is getting pretty hot too after one or two hours of usage

I've read that it's normal. It does have a large battery in it, that'll be creating some of the heat, but perhaps poor internal heat dissipation is also part of the issue?

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #12,739 of 13,478
Heat? They run very hot. mine's with me for more than a year, listening sessions running @ 6+ hours no problem.
i always considered the entire metal part of the case a heat sink, when in use i take it out of the leather case all the time...

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #12,740 of 13,478
Heat? They run very hot. mine's with me for more than a year, listening sessions running @ 6+ hours no problem.
i always considered the entire metal part of the case a heat sink, when in use i take it out of the leather case all the time...

yeah good point. I tend to listen a lot when I go out to a cafe for peace and quiet from the home life. I generally set the player down on the table that I'm sitting at, rather than in my pocket. I didn't notice any undue heat tonight when I did some shopping after my coffee and had the player in my pocket. It still runs a lot hotter than my AK unit.

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #12,741 of 13,478
yeah good point. I tend to listen a lot when I go out to a cafe for peace and quiet from the home life. I generally set the player down on the table that I'm sitting at, rather than in my pocket. I didn't notice any undue heat tonight when I did some shopping after my coffee and had the player in my pocket. It still runs a lot hotter than my AK unit.

Yup, agree. My 240 runs less hotter as well...

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #12,742 of 13,478
Yes, I got my DX220 almost on the release day and have used it most weeks for reasonably long sessions (especially when I first got it). It runes hot too but doesn't seem to be an issue over the long term. I wish we had weather in the UK that would make me worry about the heat from a DAP :).

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #12,743 of 13,478
Flying low altitude..

my DX220 with AMP3 being mod...
IMG-20201106-WA0006.jpg

And alrd in my possession again...
20201106_211759.jpg
20201106_211807.jpg

DX223 Mod for power, was not a myth... it does give Monstrous power, plus give a taste of warm vocal (my prefer soundsig) with overall Bright Tone... hahaha... Noice....

Gaining altitude, and fly away....

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #12,744 of 13,478
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #12,745 of 13,478
Well, the DX220 is sound like a better long term solution for me.

Just been talking via live chat to a trusted retailer and he thinks the DX220 is a bit warmer and more detailed than the Fiio M11 and the M11 is pretty similar sounding to my AK 120 II unit.

So, it looks like the M11 would be a sidewise move in terms of SQ (but a much better screen etc). So, gonna go compare the DX220/M11 specs and mull things over.

edit: headphones used with the new unit would be:

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD540 Gold Reference
Audeze LCD2
CCA C10 IEMs (potentially looking to upgrade to the Moondrop Blessing 2 down the track).

I'm an older guy (51) with higher range hearing loss in both ears (no hearing aids, my hearing loss is above the workable range of hearing aids so they're of no use to me and my hearing condition).
What are your impressions of the HD 540 RG with the DX 220?

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #12,746 of 13,478
What are your impressions of the HD 540 RG with the DX 220?

Can't test it. The ear cushions on the 540s are badly worn, and unfortunately, covered in dust and dust mites. I have replacement ear cushions, but I'm not confident to do it myself. The issue is the dust and dust mites. The last time I wore them, I had an allergic reaction that lasted 3 days (I'm highly allergic to dust and dust mites). I'm not really sure how I can get rid of the damn dust and dust mites. Any ideas?

I did try my HD600s with the DX220 on a few tracks, it needs to be on high gain and the volume pumped right up. It sounded quite neutral *to my ears*. The 540s are, imho, a larger step up over the HD600s in terms of neutrality, bass, detail, airiness etc, so I'd expect the 540s to sing.

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #12,747 of 13,478
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #12,748 of 13,478
Can't test it. The ear cushions on the 540s are badly worn, and unfortunately, covered in dust and dust mites. I have replacement ear cushions, but I'm not confident to do it myself. The issue is the dust and dust mites. The last time I wore them, I had an allergic reaction that lasted 3 days (I'm highly allergic to dust and dust mites). I'm not really sure how I can get rid of the damn dust and dust mites. Any ideas?

I did try my HD600s with the DX220 on a few tracks, it needs to be on high gain and the volume pumped right up. It sounded quite neutral *to my ears*. The 540s are, imho, a larger step up over the HD600s in terms of neutrality, bass, detail, airiness etc, so I'd expect the 540s to sing.
I recommend replacing the pads with leather, you have a thread on this forum for everything your interested about HD 540,https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good.670255/
As for their singing ... i'm not sure, mine got volume on amp 1 mk 2, but that sound is a very pale picture of what they can do ..., I haven't tried stronger amp modules.
I would actually recommend that you buy some slightly better quality IEMs in the headphone market, as the DX 220 has great potential for quality sound

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #12,749 of 13,478
I recommend replacing the pads with leather, you have a thread on this forum for everything your interested about HD 540,https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good.670255/
As for their singing ... i'm not sure, mine got volume on amp 1 mk 2, but that sound is a very pale picture of what they can do ..., I haven't tried stronger amp modules.
I would actually recommend that you buy some slightly better quality IEMs in the headphone market, as the DX 220 has great potential for quality sound

I have replacement pads, it's replacing them that's the hard bit. And as I said, I have no idea how to solve my dust/dust mite issues. I can't wear them until that's done. Which is a pity, cos I really want to.

I'm considering saving for Campfire Audio Andromeda's used. Will take me 6 months :-/

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #12,750 of 13,478
I have replacement pads, it's replacing them that's the hard bit. And as I said, I have no idea how to solve my dust/dust mite issues. I can't wear them until that's done. Which is a pity, cos I really want to.

I'm considering saving for Campfire Audio Andromeda's used. Will take me 6 months :-/
I have a Solaris SE, they are not far from andromeda, and it sounds ... great sound, but I also have a Fearless s8f whose sound is ... you would be pleasantly surprised, and now you can buy a similar sound on the market of used IEMs for approximately 300 euros.
And in the end, you will be satisfied with the whole system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back