DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Nov 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #12,706 of 13,478
Hi everyone! Finally I found the forum where all kind of music gear is discussed and it's pretty amazing. I have switched to 220 in April (previously I owned DX90 for last 5 years and before that I had a Xuelin IHIFI 960). I must say I liked DX90 however I just wanted to move on to the new level of sound (and modern user friendly interface with all bells and whistles means a lot today). However since I got my DAP I had never made it work with my Mac Pro 2019. I've read a lot here about Thunderbolt issue with Mac's USB-C ports. I have Parallel Desktop on my Mac and 220 doesn't work in Windows mode either. Wasn't it said in change log that latest firmware was supposed to fix an issue with Mac? I have 1.17.256 (latest I guess), however it still doesn't work. I have tried all kinds of cables but the result is still the same. That's a little annoying. However I can forgive that issue just for that amazing sound. I use IT04, Beyerdynamic T70p and Dunu Titan 5 (just stayed with me, but not used very often). I like IT04 most of all. I have default AMP 1 mk II and so far I am satisfied with it. That was a short story about my way)) So did anyone get an improvement with Mac since new firmware release?
Hi
I own the DX220 MAX but am pretty sure it behaves similarly to your Dx 220 against Macbook Pro in DAC mode. I got annoyed like you until I found a usb-c hub which worked
USB C Hub, uni USB-C 8 in 1 Hub mit abnehmbarem Stecker und Silikonhülle, Unterstützung von 4K HDMI, 1000 Mbps, PD 100W und mehr, Kompatibel für iPad Pro 2018, MacBook, Galaxy S20 und mehr https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B081YGDBG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dlC_QLUNFbDM2R6G1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Hope this helps
BR

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #12,708 of 13,478
Hi
I own the DX220 MAX but am pretty sure it behaves similarly to your Dx 220 against Macbook Pro in DAC mode. I got annoyed like you until I found a usb-c hub which worked
USB C Hub, uni USB-C 8 in 1 Hub mit abnehmbarem Stecker und Silikonhülle, Unterstützung von 4K HDMI, 1000 Mbps, PD 100W und mehr, Kompatibel für iPad Pro 2018, MacBook, Galaxy S20 und mehr https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B081YGDBG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dlC_QLUNFbDM2R6G1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Hope this helps
BR
Many thanks. Was there a problem in usb hub in your case? Did you manage to connect it without any hub but just via usb c - usb c cable? I have one hub however it doesn’t work with DX220 in my case either.

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #12,709 of 13,478
Many thanks. Was there a problem in usb hub in your case? Did you manage to connect it without any hub but just via usb c - usb c cable? I have one hub however it doesn’t work with DX220 in my case either.
I had various pairing issues with my different Apple Devices using stock cable, some old usb-c hub and even standard apple USB-C adapter:
- old usb-c hub didn't recognize the DX220 on Macbook Pro
- using original Apple lightning-USB-A adapter caused on ipad pro 10.5 2018 I am still getting bad distortion noise connecting the DX220 max with stock cable
- same setup against iPhone 11 pro is fine!
- with original Apple USB-C adapter dx220 max was recognized by MacOS but same distortion as with ipad pro (issue still there)
- stock cable connected to old Macbook Air of my wife featuring USB-A ports is fine
- I tried various cables, also very pricy audioquest cables for 90 Eur without success (dx220 max not recognized)

So the mentioned usb-c hub is my life savior for dac mode

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #12,710 of 13,478
May I ask you a question about the DX220? I am looking to interface it with my Burson DAC/Amp and am wondering if you feel S/PDIF or USB would be best/easiest ?

S/PDIF or optical out of DX220 to external DAC should work fine. I feed mine into Schiit desktop DAC. I don't think you can USB-out from DX220 to another USB-in.

Nov 2, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #12,712 of 13,478
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #12,713 of 13,478
20201102_183441.jpg

Hahaha... now I am confuse what to choose...

btw.. AMP3 is quite powerfull... got it directly from iBasso...
@Paul - iBasso Thank you...

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #12,714 of 13,478
I had various pairing issues with my different Apple Devices using stock cable, some old usb-c hub and even standard apple USB-C adapter:
- old usb-c hub didn't recognize the DX220 on Macbook Pro
- using original Apple lightning-USB-A adapter caused on ipad pro 10.5 2018 I am still getting bad distortion noise connecting the DX220 max with stock cable
- same setup against iPhone 11 pro is fine!
- with original Apple USB-C adapter dx220 max was recognized by MacOS but same distortion as with ipad pro (issue still there)
- stock cable connected to old Macbook Air of my wife featuring USB-A ports is fine
- I tried various cables, also very pricy audioquest cables for 90 Eur without success (dx220 max not recognized)

So the mentioned usb-c hub is my life savior for dac mode
Boom, next solution for anyone encountering static noise issues in DAC mode against Apple lightning connections.
This OTG-adapter saved my life :wink:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07D11D4FB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_qbaOFbVVB6F15?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #12,716 of 13,478
Two quick points:

1) Might be a typo but in your edit you talk about the 200. I wouldn't go for the 200, stick to the 220.
2) Amp 9 had a lovely sound (and I bought it) but the power output is really quite low (200mw I think). With everything on high gain, I was able to get acceptable 'indoor' level on the Ananda but it was struggling a little and certainly wouldn't be loud enough if I was outside. Considering you're looking to drive full size headphones, I wouldn't have Amp 9 as the only amp. (being the compulsive bugger I am, I bought 9 and 8)

Oh yes, that was the other thing:
I'm 50. I don't have any recorded hearing loss but obviously we lose some of the upper frequencies the older we get. I had begun to think that I would not be able to experience real "out of head" soundstage since everything I tried failed to deliver. I got it with the 220, very much so.

The amp9's really low in output. Best for highly efficient in ears & medium efficient full size.
A fantastic out of head (i mean detached!) immersive, surround, reference tuned portable source player...

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #12,717 of 13,478
I just installed Neutron on DX220, and using it with Etys ER4SR AMP1 Mk2 balanced out, with no EQ of DSP.
Whow I did not not know that ER4SR bass is so well controlled, sufficiently extended and there is enough of it. Neutron takes DX220 to entirely new level. It is better IMO than Mango OS. All
I totally agree! But before it was not the same.
Anyway I appreciate a lot the fact that Neutron is increasing the audio quality and at the same time the battery life and heat generation is well contained!

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #12,718 of 13,478
OK, got my new DX220, connected to my local wifi, went to update and got "network error!". There's no troubleshooting section in the user manual and I couldn't find anything via google.

Also, the unit shows firmware as being 1.17.256 but that firmware is not listed on iBasso's website under their downloads section for the DX220 unit. Is there website up to date? Can anyone confirm that this firmware is the latest version etc?

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #12,719 of 13,478
OK, got my new DX220, connected to my local wifi, went to update and got "network error!". There's no troubleshooting section in the user manual and I couldn't find anything via google.

Also, the unit shows firmware as being 1.17.256 but that firmware is not listed on iBasso's website under their downloads section for the DX220 unit. Is there website up to date? Can anyone confirm that this firmware is the latest version etc?

1.17 is the latest update. The update link was shared here & since 1.15, this (1.17 fw update) is the best sq & the largest sound field to date...

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #12,720 of 13,478

Users who are viewing this thread

Back