DX200/220 Amp8, MAX and other EX modifications
Oct 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #226 of 473
I have a DX200 and AMP3 that I am using with my Heir 8A in balanced mode. Having heard good things about the AMP8 I was browsing the For Sale forums for one when I came across a DX220EX for sale. That thread brought me to this thread. After reading this thread a couple of times I have decided to replace my DX200 with a DX220 and later on get an AMP8.
Has anyone ever modified the AMP3? Since I am currently travelling I am not able to open the AMP3 to see if it is possible to modify.

Oct 13, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #227 of 473
I have a DX200 and AMP3 that I am using with my Heir 8A in balanced mode. Having heard good things about the AMP8 I was browsing the For Sale forums for one when I came across a DX220EX for sale. That thread brought me to this thread. After reading this thread a couple of times I have decided to replace my DX200 with a DX220 and later on get an AMP8.
Has anyone ever modified the AMP3? Since I am currently travelling I am not able to open the AMP3 to see if it is possible to modify.
Wow, to sell a 220Ex. If done right, there isn't anything I know of that is better or as good at any price. But sometimes people move on from portable and someone else lucks out.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #228 of 473
Wow, to sell a 220Ex. If done right, there isn't anything I know of that is better or as good at any price. But sometimes people move on from portable and someone else lucks out.
The seller did say they were leaving the hobby as it was not their true passion.

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #229 of 473

I agree with every count

The seller did say they were leaving the hobby as it was not their true passion.

I did it but never published it as I don’t think many people were into it

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #230 of 473
I did it but never published it as I don’t think many people were into it
I assume that you are talking about modifying the AMP3. If so is it worth doing?

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #232 of 473
Ohhh is it still for sale that dx220ex?

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #234 of 473
It was sold. By the by, the user didn't move from the DX220 to a different DAP, but from the DX220 to a home theater system.

No doubt I remember I sold my dx200 under 5 min after posting it lmao

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #235 of 473
Any interest in modding the DX160?

After renting a DX228 for a week I've decided that it's too bulky and the newly released DX160 seems to be just the right size.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #237 of 473
Thanks to Whitgrl encouragement (and warnings :)) I finished my AMP8 EX mod yesterday, I read all the hype and got hooked and just had to give it a go, Cost was £50 (I bought twice as many parts as I needed). I had to sharpen an iron tip and use a usb microscope to avoid shorts, It was kind of cool as I could clearly see the solder softening and flowing. U used audio grade silver solder and strictly controlled my temp. Got up to 330 at one point though.

Once modded it sounded kind of flat in the mids and to my ear a bit muddy on the base. 24 hours of burn in did the trick though, Loving it now. Now I get the hype. Loving the base control and the mids have come a little forward. I was EQ ing the mids on the amp1mk2, dont need to do that now. While the base is very controlled it feel a little too much for me maybe. Going to go back to my pure silver cable from copper that will probably sort it. Im using the CA Solaris which has a dynamic driver so the base is relay nice to my ears.

Loving it this amp now, next level for my DX220. Thanks Vince for your work and making it so easy for the rest of us. I might not bye into you fan edition now though. This would be difficult to beet.
20191026_102358.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #239 of 473
Dear friends,
the best mod of ALL ibasso amps with the best sound is ->

just try to remove (short-circuit) decoupling caps and you'll be very surprised of the sound changes :D
I wanted to try that but never did have the chance. Did you short out both the front and back ? Beside, I always love the different signature of different caps :D

what is that wire ? Ground wire ?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #240 of 473
The front side capacitors and back side are parallel, therefore just short it on the front side.
The wire is silvered copper. And the best signature is clear full bass sound with excellent resolution :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back