DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #12,438 of 13,478
I have been off here for a while and very happy with the DX220, but I hate the short battery life of Amp 8EX. Has any of the updates improved this?
Is Amp nine better?
I have not seen any significant change associated with a FW update - owned since released and I have kept up with FW changes as they were rolled out. I am also using the AMP8EX module, high gain, mostly mp3 files, custom EQ on, Sony FDX1 IEMs, and volume mostly between 60 and 70 - get 5 to 5 1/2 hours. Put a new battery in earlier this year and that helped with about an extra 1/2 to 1 hour over what I had been seeing.
With respect to other AMP modules - I did not experience a significant change when I switched from the stock AMP1MKII to AMP8EX for whatever that is worth.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #12,439 of 13,478
I have not seen any significant change associated with a FW update - owned since released and I have kept up with FW changes as they were rolled out. I am also using the AMP8EX module, high gain, mostly mp3 files, custom EQ on, Sony FDX1 IEMs, and volume mostly between 60 and 70 - get 5 to 5 1/2 hours. Put a new battery in earlier this year and that helped with about an extra 1/2 to 1 hour over what I had been seeing.
With respect to other AMP modules - I did not experience a significant change when I switched from the stock AMP1MKII to AMP8EX for whatever that is worth.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Tim
you did not see change in battery life or sound?

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #12,441 of 13,478
I have been off here for a while and very happy with the DX220, but I hate the short battery life of Amp 8EX. Has any of the updates improved this?
Is Amp nine better?
You might need a sensitive IEM. i.e. CA andromeda or similar. @ a volume of 45, u could get as much as 7-8 hours for playing back FLAC files. I'm using the amp9, w/ my current set, i get 6+ hours, i've got a not no sensitive (medium to high gain) in ear headphones.
But my music is my priority, not back up time.
I only use my '229 for critical listening (aka world off / music ON)...

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #12,442 of 13,478
I have a problem starting the device (I order a new battery tomorrow), I succeed very rarely, sometimes directly from the charger, sometimes from DELL.
This morning I succeeded ... I immediately updated the f.w.
I thought, just to hear for a few seconds so I'm going to make myself breakfast ... for two hours I couldn't separate myself from Solaris SE.
I really admire everyone who participated in the final design of the mature and very musical DX 220

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #12,443 of 13,478
Hi everyone, I recently picked one of these up. I've been enjoying it, and I had a couple of questions:

2. Does Amp8 improve substantially after being burned-in? I ask because I got Amp8 and Amp9 to try, and I preferred Amp9 out of the box, so that's been getting the most use. Amp8 doesn't sound that much different than the default amp. Should I expect that to change, or just return it if I prefer the warmer sound of Amp9?
3. I've been having this annoying issue that wasn't there for the first week of use. When I switch tracks (automatically or manually), I get an audible click and the first second or so of the new song is skipped. Why might this have come up and is there a good way to fix this?

What i hear from my set (amp9) is not a typical tube warmth, rather a natural sounding tonality, from the bottom end all the way up to the top end.
Not thin, not thick, rather rich timbre. If there's bass, it'll "show'. The latest update has a really huge venue! i tried out from some of my test tracks.
My current in ear is not very popular in the stage depth category, thus that substantial depth increase is most welcome for me.

Of course, there's a very high level of transparency that will only reveal the not so good recordings.
IMG_20200903_124709.jpg
From last week, i treat myself ( & the newly updated 229 ) w/ a 512 album 2018 When the Levee breaks
What an experience! I have to, however down sample to 16 bit only. The bit x bit @ 20% battery life / track.
This could be how natural sounding, how super analog the '229 can get.

That audible click, or thud, i also hear, but only from powering up the device. I make sure the volume's down...

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #12,444 of 13,478
I was referring to battery life which I thought your question was pertaining to. Did I misunderstand?

I do not have AMP9 (never had a desire for the tube sound or the hiss that has been reported by some) so can't comment about how that compares to AMP8EX...

Cheers,
Tim
[/QUOTE

No, battery life was my question. I thought you had mentioned about sound, but I might have misread.

I used to use my DX220 when I traveled, for work, but not travelling now. i just sits next to my bed.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #12,445 of 13,478
You might need a sensitive IEM. i.e. CA andromeda or similar. @ a volume of 45, u could get as much as 7-8 hours for playing back FLAC files. I'm using the amp9, w/ my current set, i get 6+ hours, i've got a not no sensitive (medium to high gain) in ear headphones.
But my music is my priority, not back up time.
I only use my '229 for critical listening (aka world off / music ON)...
I am using Andromeda's. At night in bed i can listen to them on 20, even 10 some nights. I was just hoping for a firmware upgrade to boost to 10 plus hours. Pre covid I was traveling every week by plane. I would use the DX220 all day, buy have to top it off every chance I get. Amp8ex is a definite upgrade to the stock sound. I am happy to have it.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #12,446 of 13,478
There is no way the DX220 will get to 10+ hours on a firmware update. Maybe if iBasso could offer a same sized replacement battery with more capacity.

I think the only time that I've actually seen battery improvement with software updates is either Apple (once with the introduction of iOS 13 I believe) or a laptop manufacturer that fixes some kind bug that causes a battery drain.

Not sure if iBasso has that kind of software capability. Especially in OS development/optimisation. I think their strength is in hardware development.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #12,447 of 13,478
I am using Andromeda's. At night in bed i can listen to them on 20, even 10 some nights. I was just hoping for a firmware upgrade to boost to 10 plus hours. Pre covid I was traveling every week by plane. I would use the DX220 all day, buy have to top it off every chance I get. Amp8ex is a definite upgrade to the stock sound. I am happy to have it.

The technology of back up time longevity for an excellent circuit design by Ibasso may not be here yet. It is obvious this (the battery pack) is the weak link of the portable chain.
Ofc. we see a lot of other brands w/ 10+ hours back up time, but severely compromised SQ.
Having auditioned other premium daps more than 3 x my '229 price tag, I'm confidently happy w/ my current set. In fact, if i have spare cash, i'll take a 2nd set 220+amp8 a fellow headfier is selling somewhere here...

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #12,449 of 13,478
20200908_185543.jpg

Earbud... it's also good pair for AMP9...

just acquired VE Zen 2.0 Earbud (320 Ohm).
DX229 manage to almost drive properly this beast...
agreed, with @ehjie, DX229 with the new FW feels the timbre is more natural...
Even compare to Desk AMP, DX229 give more liquid vocal...
Increase to Hi Gain, the timbre seems a bit out of focus... so Medium will be the sweet spot.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #12,450 of 13,478
20200908_185543.jpg
Earbud... it's also good pair for AMP9...

just acquired VE Zen 2.0 Earbud (320 Ohm).
DX229 manage to almost drive properly this beast...
agreed, with @ehjie, DX229 with the new FW feels the timbre is more natural...
Even compare to Desk AMP, DX229 give more liquid vocal...
Increase to Hi Gain, the timbre seems a bit out of focus... so Medium will be the sweet spot.

You are absolutely correct, @fokta, The voice is as natural as we can get, desktop player level quality. And Not the cheap kind!
The voice is but the cherry topping. We got fantastic bass quality, percussions, strings, they abound.
With an outstanding 3d holographic imaging & a large sound field...
IMG_20200909_085712.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back