DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Sep 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #12,421 of 13,478
Hi everyone, I recently picked one of these up. I've been enjoying it, and I had a couple of questions:

1. Do people still think the Fidelizer firmware ROMs are worth it, or provide any sonic benefit over the updated official firmware? I've read through this thread quite a bit, and there used to be a fair amount of talk about the improvements people heard with the Fidelizer firmware, but it hasn't been talked about much in the past few months if you search for it. Also, there have been a couple of firmware updates this year where people have reported better sound quality. Did iBasso close the gap?

2. Does Amp8 improve substantially after being burned-in? I ask because I got Amp8 and Amp9 to try, and I preferred Amp9 out of the box, so that's been getting the most use. Amp8 doesn't sound that much different than the default amp. Should I expect that to change, or just return it if I prefer the warmer sound of Amp9?

3. I've been having this annoying issue that wasn't there for the first week of use. When I switch tracks (automatically or manually), I get an audible click and the first second or so of the new song is skipped. Why might this have come up and is there a good way to fix this?

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #12,422 of 13,478
Hi everyone, I recently picked one of these up. I've been enjoying it, and I had a couple of questions:

1. Do people still think the Fidelizer firmware ROMs are worth it, or provide any sonic benefit over the updated official firmware? I've read through this thread quite a bit, and there used to be a fair amount of talk about the improvements people heard with the Fidelizer firmware, but it hasn't been talked about much in the past few months if you search for it. Also, there have been a couple of firmware updates this year where people have reported better sound quality. Did iBasso close the gap?

2. Does Amp8 improve substantially after being burned-in? I ask because I got Amp8 and Amp9 to try, and I preferred Amp9 out of the box, so that's been getting the most use. Amp8 doesn't sound that much different than the default amp. Should I expect that to change, or just return it if I prefer the warmer sound of Amp9?

3. I've been having this annoying issue that wasn't there for the first week of use. When I switch tracks (automatically or manually), I get an audible click and the first second or so of the new song is skipped. Why might this have come up and is there a good way to fix this?
While waiting for other to reply.
IMO,
1) for me, current Original FW ibasso DX220 is better then the Fidelizer...but let other that also have fidel also comment
2) for AMP8, yes, burn in does improve, you will notice the different soundstage aroun 100 hours, IMO. and getting mature in time.
3) is the noise pop up, when you change track file. example from DSD to FLAC ???

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #12,423 of 13,478
IMO,
1) for me, current Original FW ibasso DX220 is better then the Fidelizer...but let other that also have fidel also comment
2) for AMP8, yes, burn in does improve, you will notice the different soundstage aroun 100 hours, IMO. and getting mature in time.
3) is the noise pop up, when you change track file. example from DSD to FLAC ???
The only thing I will add to #3 is - I have had this happen with mp3 and wav files with respect to occasional first second or two being skipped. I performed a factory reset and it did solve that problem for a few weeks but now it is back - but it is infrequent/occasional - a bug of some sort. @czalarenta - give the factory reset a try and see if that helps.

The fact that a factory reset worked temporarily got me wondering if there is some internal cache or other system files that are somehow consuming space that eventually causes the problem. However, unless this was widespread and reported by many or most owners I would not put much credence to this "thinking out loud" idea...

So are others seeing the problem as well? It has been happening for me with about the last 3 FW updates.

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #12,424 of 13,478

This is pureley me, but fidelizers firmware hasnever been worth anything. He is not tuning it like ibasso, he has no acces to what they have. Stock software sounds way better. If you want some more stuff sofware wise just put on Lurkers mod. Wont try to change sound, just improve usability for people who want play store and other apps on their dx220. Ofcourse YMMW.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #12,425 of 13,478
Try his dx220 max rom port. I think it is at best.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #12,426 of 13,478

For my taste the stock fw is too bright, while fidelizer adds some low extensions and impact, slightly warmer and more dark background. Since i listen much to anisongs and beats, i like this more fun sound from fidels mod.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #12,427 of 13,478
If you use stock firmware and haven't updated yet, firmware 1.17.256 is already available via OTA.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #12,428 of 13,478
I'm very happy with stock 1.16 and am hesitant to update ... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Have enough people updated to give assurances that nothing is worse? Have the sonics improved in any way? (I think 1.16 is wonderful and would hate to inadvertently degrade my experience).

Edit: Listen mostly with AMP8EX

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #12,429 of 13,478
I'm very happy with stock 1.16 and am hesitant to update ... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Have enough people updated to give assurances that nothing is worse? Have the sonics improved in any way? (I think 1.16 is wonderful and would hate to inadvertently degrade my experience).

Edit: Listen mostly with AMP8EX
I have several hours of listening on the new FW and nothing got worse. Several have suggested SQ improved to some degree - I don't refute that but could I pick it as a clear winner in a standard ABX test? Probably not.

Bottom line DX228EX sounds absolutely fantastic!

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #12,430 of 13,478
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
My Asus router still is running 8 years old firmware, but, as for iBasso DAPs, I believe in "the latest is the greatest" :)

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #12,431 of 13,478
iBasso 14th anniversary, big announcement
DC03 with double DAC is coming...

dc03.JPG

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4545773003873841

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #12,435 of 13,478
IMO,
Thanks for the answers! Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy couple of days. I've been using the Lurker firmware on the most recent update.

With the track change, there's occasionally a little click, but the main issue is that the first second or two of the song gets skipped. It isn't related to file type changing at all. Just going to the next track in the album will do it. This occurs in UAPP and in Mango player, both on Android and Mango OS.

The only thing I will add to #3 is - I have had this happen with mp3 and wav files with respect to occasional first second or two being skipped. I performed a factory reset and it did solve that problem for a few weeks but now it is back - but it is infrequent/occasional - a bug of some sort. @czalarenta - give the factory reset a try and see if that helps.

The fact that a factory reset worked temporarily got me wondering if there is some internal cache or other system files that are somehow consuming space that eventually causes the problem.
Yeah, I'll have to give it a reset and see if that addresses it. I was hoping to avoid that because it takes hours to rescan my library. It was fine for me for the first week or so, but it shows up no matter what player I use on it. It even occurs in Mango OS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back