DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #9,002 of 13,478
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #9,004 of 13,478
@artpiggo, did you read the post until the last sentence? :relaxed:
I think you get the wrong idea of DSD conversion , and then confused again on Live conversion vs offline

there is simply no trend, but rather facts and sciences.

long answer:

offline conversion, the processors and the algorithms minimize the error-corrections that happened during the conversion because it can take longer to process than being imposed a time limits. For example, a 30 second guitar when at live DSD conversion, will have to be processed within this 30 second windows in order for you to listen to it LIVE. But when offline conversion happened, the system can process it at 5 minutes conversions.

then, next to it, any Delta-Sigma chip itself ...for example an AK4499EQ, is already doing this processing, Oversampling and Convert Digital data into DSD at the end of it chains. These newest chip can do it at 256x over sampling, which is already DSD256. How this chip is processing, what random algorithms and filter that it does, how it correct the errors....etc....are designed and engineered, then categorized under lower tier or being top tier from the IC-brand itself based on those engineering and technical parameters.

next up, using a CPU processor is possible to live conversion any data into DSD, heck...you can even use Graphic CP units, in case of HQ-player, and live convert PCM to DSD. However, do you know what the differences is ? Noises, and phase-errors, Timing errors.....etc....Any properly done live conversion and algorithms (or simply put, high performances), would put a huge strain on these chips and processor. Bad algorithms aside.....You will need a huge PC, an expensive one.

could you hear the differences between a Bad live conversion of digital-DSD from CPU VS DAC-IC, or Cheap algorithms VS Expensive build or even between different brands of DAC-IC ? Sure....but it is subjective....and depends on many factors, especially your heapdhones, and amplifiers....etc. Sometimes, Noises can be observed as extra details, and sometimes losses of details and information due to error-correction can be observed as musical, and smooth!

Just saying, Technically, it is a waste to have desktop tier DAC-IC that already is doing DSD256 by itself, and then asking for a cheap algorithms that utilize a cheap Processors to try to live convert DSD64

short answer
There is no trend, but it is fact and science, Studio DSD nowadays are simply remastered by different algorithms and different gears until the studio seem fit. HQ-Player Pro happened because there is a demand for it....from the studios. So, if you want something that the pros is using, then you can now have it

If you want a properly done DSD conversion, Offline conversion with a good algorithms, it is. If you want live conversions, then use high-end DAC....if you want Live conversions that is both cheap, and utilizing CPU cores ?....I guess you just want it and gotta wait for the developer to think it is worth doing do :wink:

there is also FPGA stuff, but u may get even more confusions though. So, @artpiggo is correct in steering you toward offline conversion as above

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #9,005 of 13,478
I think you get the wrong idea of DSD conversion , and then confused again on Live conversion vs offline

there is simply no trend, but rather facts and sciences.

long answer:

offline conversion, the processors and the algorithms minimize the error-corrections that happened during the conversion because it can take longer to process than being imposed a time limits. For example, a 30 second guitar when at live DSD conversion, will have to be processed within this 30 second windows in order for you to listen to it LIVE. But when offline conversion happened, the system can process it at 5 minutes conversions.

then, next to it, any Delta-Sigma chip itself ...for example an AK4499EQ, is already doing this processing, Oversampling and Convert Digital data into DSD at the end of it chains. These newest chip can do it at 256x over sampling, which is already DSD256. How this chip is processing, what random algorithms and filter that it does, how it correct the errors....etc....are designed and engineered, then categorized under lower tier or being top tier from the IC-brand itself based on those engineering and technical parameters.

next up, using a CPU processor is possible to live conversion any data into DSD, heck...you can even use Graphic CP units, in case of HQ-player, and live convert PCM to DSD. However, do you know what the differences is ? Noises, and phase-errors, Timing errors.....etc....Any properly done live conversion and algorithms (or simply put, high performances), would put a huge strain on these chips and processor. Bad algorithms aside.....You will need a huge PC, an expensive one.

could you hear the differences between a Bad live conversion of digital-DSD from CPU VS DAC-IC, or Cheap algorithms VS Expensive build or even between different brands of DAC-IC ? Sure....but it is subjective....and depends on many factors, especially your heapdhones, and amplifiers....etc. Sometimes, Noises can be observed as extra details, and sometimes losses of details and information due to error-correction can be observed as musical, and smooth!

Just saying, Technically, it is a waste to have desktop tier DAC-IC that already is doing DSD256 by itself, and then asking for a cheap algorithms that utilize a cheap Processors to try to live convert DSD64

short answer
There is no trend, but it is fact and science, Studio DSD nowadays are simply remastered by different algorithms and different gears until the studio seem fit. HQ-Player Pro happened because there is a demand for it....from the studios. So, if you want something that the pros is using, then you can now have it

If you want a properly done DSD conversion, Offline conversion with a good algorithms, it is. If you want live conversions, then use high-end DAC....if you want Live conversions that is both cheap, and utilizing CPU cores ?....I guess you just want it and gotta wait for the developer to think it is worth doing do :wink:

there is also FPGA stuff, but u may get even more confusions though. So, @artpiggo is correct in steering you toward offline conversion as above

Ok, I don't have the right knowledge to understand fully what you said.
But my question and request to the Neutron developer are still valid.
Why don't save the buffered DSD data to a temporary file and don't ask the CPU to be as fast as capable possible for the realtime conversion from PCM to DSD128?
The DX220 hardware is capable of doing that in more time, so it's worth for me if Neutron can do the task before playing that track.
Correct me if I am wrong:

PCM --> realtime conversion to DSD64 --> buffer data (I suppose) --> play the DSD64 smoothly
PCM --> realtime conversion to DSD128 --> buffer data (I suppose) --> play the DSD128 with lag

If the DSD128 is lagging, why don't save the buffered data to a container file, which is the DSF file?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #9,007 of 13,478
Hello guys, making some considerations about AMP1MKII and AMP8.
There is no need to say who is the winner.

Just wait until you try comparing them with the AMP units plugged into the DX220; the difference is even more remarkable! :wink:

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #9,009 of 13,478
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #9,011 of 13,478
The AMP8 is the winner, no doubts!
More punch, more definition, more engaging sound, more soundstage, it's really evident.
I don't look forward to trying the AMP8-EX!

If you got a chance try a burned AMP9 ^^ I went back to AMP8W after 3 months with AMP9 and I felt sth was missing so I swapped back immediately.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #9,013 of 13,478
I tried DTR1 due to very good review on sound but there was no comparison with DX228ex/9. It was unbearable. DX220's the best
that 1K can offer. Wonder how ZX-500 will sound tho.
I can feel that ZX500 will sound the same as 300, which is so-so.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #9,014 of 13,478
What app do people use to have the dx220 act as a dlna streamer? On AK players there's no fuss, works out of the box, but here I think you need an app.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #9,015 of 13,478
What app do people use to have the dx220 act as a dlna streamer? On AK players there's no fuss, works out of the box, but here I think you need an app.

I would recommend USB Audio Player Pro :D Works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back