Android: Neutron Music Player
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #751 of 1,374
Smartphones (v30 etc) aren't bad, they're quite good - very good actually. But saying there is no audible difference with a TOTL purpose built player is just nonsense.

Some people think Beats are better then TOTL as well. There's just no reasoning with some people. I'll gladly take my "overpriced" DX228 any day of the week.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #752 of 1,374
:D:D sorry off topic

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #753 of 1,374
Listen before you speak. I have a V30 paired with a Cayin C5 Amp. I would put this combo against any sub $1000 DAP. My cost $250.
I have a v30 currently and have owned at least 10 daps over the past 2 years.

The comparison I make is to using it as a dap. Clearly stacking on an amp can change that comparison.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #754 of 1,374
Hello @dmitrykos,

As you know the iBasso DX220 is not well known for the most powerful CPU.
This means that the realtime PCM to DSD128 conversion is not possible.

Made this premise, I would like to ask you if it's possible to add a function to save the converted file insted of reproducing it in realtime.
This could be the ultimate solution for the outdated CPU which are not able to handle such complex calculations in a short time.
The idea is as follows:

1. I have a 24bit 192kHz WAVE file (as an example of PCM file);
2. That file is stored on the external microsd drive;
3. The DSD conversion function can be called through a contextual menu, for example by a long press on the PCM file, there is a new function to create the DSD version of the file;
4. It will be the user's decision if he wants to convert the PCM to DSD64 or DSD128 (or even more if the hardware is capable, like the DX220);
5. The converted DSD output file will be located at the same path of the original PCM file to make things easier.

Basically the DSD capability is decided by the DAC. The realtime conversion is a matter of the powerful CPU, do you agree?

You should evaluate to add this function and you also can increase the cost of this mobile application because I would like to support your development. I will pay again if Neutron will be able to make this offline conversion.

I hope I gave you a good suggestion even if this is my request.

The trend in this last period is to buy very expensive softwares which are able to convert offline and upsampling the PCM to DSD64-128-256-512. There is a benefit which sometimes can be discussed critically but if you can embed this amazing function in Neutron, every DAP with a capable DAC will be able to reproduce any DSD file in Neutron.

I hope to get your feedback.

Best regards,
kalo86

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #755 of 1,374
@dmitrykos would it be possible to have an interface to act like a upnp server viewer from where one could access the various different categories that it served up by a upnp server like Assent UPNP or Bubble etc... similar to what UAPP has? In the current scenario a upnp server is added to the existing media library and become unwieldy. Thanks

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #756 of 1,374
As an update to my previous issue, I've noticed it's not just pure noise/static that Neutron plays when enabling All to DSD (now PCM to DSD) on my Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy S10e (G9700, Hong Kong version).

It is difficult to say why it happens. On your device Neutron will send DSD in DoP format, so if it plays as plain PCM there would be a white noise only. Of course, Samsung could implement support for DoP and it would solve the problem with native DSD output when music player would just send DoP with 176400 or 352800 frequency (DSD64 or DSD18) and it would not require any additional API. But, ... it depends solely on Samsung and their dev. strategy, Neutron can not help here at all unfortunately.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #758 of 1,374
@kalo86, as we have discussed, it can be done in the future.
@superuser1, yes, there is such task in to-do, e.g. file manager-like access.
You are super awesome.. also please don't forget a notified for the Pay Pro version notifying a app update please!! :)

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #760 of 1,374
Hi @dmitrykos, great app, I purchased two copies. I feel like I’ll never understand enough to unlock the power of Neutron’s “audio hardware” section for the optimum sound on my Fiio M11, which I’m ok with. However, my one wish, ok maybe two, is a way to move songs to a different folder on the same disc and not lose their rating. And create playlists on the fly which include rating and least recently played. And a background color blur similar to Poweramp and others, but I can live without that.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #762 of 1,374
A couple days ago I was playing some music and was going around the settings and decided to change the processing from 32 but to 64 bit and OUCH the volume jumped up to maximum. Hopefully it didn't hurt my ears too bad but that really sucked

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #763 of 1,374
It is difficult to say why it happens. On your device Neutron will send DSD in DoP format, so if it plays as plain PCM there would be a white noise only. Of course, Samsung could implement support for DoP and it would solve the problem with native DSD output when music player would just send DoP with 176400 or 352800 frequency (DSD64 or DSD18) and it would not require any additional API. But, ... it depends solely on Samsung and their dev. strategy, Neutron can not help here at all unfortunately.

Then could you please contact Samsung to request opening up support for DoP and native DSD support that the WCD9341 audio chip in the S10 already has? They are far, far more likely to listen to you, the developer of the one of the most popular and best audio players on the Google Play Store, than a mere customer like me.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #764 of 1,374
They are far, far more likely to listen to you, the developer of the one of the most popular and best audio players on the Google Play Store, than just a customer like me.

Yet ... Still very unlikely they'll listen to him. It's unfortunate but it's just not a priority for Samsung.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #765 of 1,374
Yet ... Still very unlikely they'll listen to him. It's unfortunate but it's just not a priority for Samsung.

There's no harm in at least trying, especially considering I paid for an app that advertised features that do not work on my device. I understand this is out of the developer's control, but this incompatibility / limitation with some devices should be made clear before people pay for the app. It would only be fair for the developer to at least make an effort to request Samsung remedy this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back