DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #8,986 of 13,478
Deleted, sry wrong tread.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #8,987 of 13,478
Ok, after 10 days I can give the final statement.
Neutron manages the DSD file in a better way according to my ears.
I have to admit that Neutron is more detailed and more deep for the bass when a DSD256 is played.
I made several tests and now I think to collect my preferred tracks and recode them to DSD256 because it's so amazing!
Please understand that if you are running or going out on the street, the best solution will be the mp3 file, ok?
But for exigent and critical listening, the DSD256, Neutron and the audio setup in my signature is something of unbelievable.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #8,988 of 13,478
Hello all,
Just bought this amazing dap today.
Wondering what gain should I set with my inear pp8 through balanced port.
Don't be afraid to just experiment and let your ears guide you. I stick with Mid gain probably 80% of the time with a listening volume of 66 or occasionally up to 76 (Mango Mode - so out of 100 max). The other 20% I bump up to High gain and listening volume between 60 and 70. I use Sony MDR-EX650 T iem's. So it really boils down to enjoyable listening volume and what sounds good given the wide variations in recording levels and many other variables.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,
Tim

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #8,989 of 13,478
Ok, after 10 days I can give the final statement.
Neutron manages the DSD file in a better way according to my ears.
I have to admit that Neutron is more detailed and more deep for the bass when a DSD256 is played.
I made several tests and now I think to collect my preferred tracks and recode them to DSD256 because it's so amazing!
Please understand that if you are running or going out on the street, the best solution will be the mp3 file, ok?
But for exigent and critical listening, the DSD256, Neutron and the audio setup in my signature is something of unbelievable.

What software are you using for the upsampling? I have bought XiSRC, it does sound good, but it also is quite similar sounding if just use low gain and increase the volume a bit up for a normal FLAC file.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #8,990 of 13,478
What software are you using for the upsampling? I have bought XiSRC, it does sound good, but it also is quite similar sounding if just use low gain and increase the volume a bit up for a normal FLAC file.
I'm using the software XRecode 3:

https://xrecode.com/

There is a trial period of 30 days. It's quite nice and easy to use.

Anyway: if you want the best audio quality out of the DX220, you must use Neutron with DSD files. The difference is slightly better in favor of Neutron than the Mango OS. The latest release of Neutron is not having any issue of over heating and the battery life is almost equal to the Mango OS.
Of course, if you enabled the real-time conversion PCM to DSD64, it will heat a lot.
That's why it can be very useful to convert offline your favorite audio tracks to DSD and save the CPU calculations (every time...) to convert the PCM to DSD in Neutron.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #8,991 of 13,478
I'm using the software XRecode 3:

https://xrecode.com/

There is a trial period of 30 days. It's quite nice and easy to use.

Anyway: if you want the best audio quality out of the DX220, you must use Neutron with DSD files. The difference is slightly better in favor of Neutron than the Mango OS. The latest release of Neutron is not having any issue of over heating and the battery life is almost equal to the Mango OS.
Of course, if you enabled the real-time conversion PCM to DSD64, it will heat a lot.
That's why it can be very useful to convert offline your favorite audio tracks to DSD and save the CPU calculations (every time...) to convert the PCM to DSD in Neutron.
Yep i already do use Neutron but with live upsampling. It is quite better than playing it without upsampling.

But i already did use Xisrc and converted some albums to DSD512 and have tested it. It does sound quite good but this is only useful for selected albums. Storage space wise, this is a nightmare!!

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #8,992 of 13,478
Indeed, there is always a limit to the good sense.
I made several tests and the best compromise is the DSD128 in terms of increased audio quality and file size.
And I also verified with my ears that the DSD conversion (offline or online) is not always worth.
There are some audio tracks which gain a benefit, others that sound the same.
I convert offline only few tracks and I returned back to Neutron for the amazing audio quality.
I love this DAP, I am amazed every day!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #8,993 of 13,478
Hello guys,

Is there someone interested on my brand-new AMP1mkII and used but like new AMP8?
The AMP1mkII has never been used, except to understand if the DX220 was working. Then I always used the AMP8.
The AMP8, in particular way, is the module which still must be burned in (it has around 30 hours of usage).
If you are interested, please let me know through private messages.
Thanks!

kalo86

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #8,994 of 13,478
Hello guys,

Is there someone interested on my brand-new AMP1mkII and used but like new AMP8?
The AMP1mkII has never been used, except to understand if the DX220 was working. Then I always used the AMP8.
The AMP8, in particular way, is the module which still must be burned in (it has around 30 hours of usage).
Thanks!

kalo86

I'd keep that AMP1mkII for if you ever sell the DX220 down the road. You'll need if you want to upgrade to the DX240 or whatever's next that supports swappable amps.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #8,995 of 13,478
Hello guys,

Thanks!

kalo86

Keep the stock amp1mk2, not worth the fuss when selling without original module.

Btw, it has been over a month since iBasso released the FW to support gain level for DX229 and still no love for DX150/200 users...( I know this is like the third comment of me complaining about FW updates but c’on iBasso’s developers :frowning2: There are people buying amp9 to pair with older model, not exclusively for 220)

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #8,996 of 13,478
Been off here for a while what have I missed?

Been listening to this recently IMG_20191030_125659.jpg

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #8,997 of 13,478
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #8,999 of 13,478
ELO is at the top of my music preferences, and "Don't bring me down" from "Discovery" is one of my test tracks: not any DAP-IEM pair is able to reproduce the mess, created by Jeff, as music :D Also, even Jeff does not know that he, actually, speaks Russian there: he says "хрусь!" which means a sound of a crunch, a sound when something is breaking :p
Absolutely on ELO! My favorites are: Livin' Thing, Telephone Line, Strange Magic, Turn to Stone, Evil Woman, and Can't Get It Out of My Head :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...

Enjoy,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back