DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #6,301 of 13,478
hehehe.. actually he mods DX220 and also AMP1Mk2...
Cold sig....

Big boss arrived...

he brings a special electric stabilizer... hmm

That's hard core! lol

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #6,302 of 13,478
The AMP8EX is absolutely AMAZING!

I recently did this with a Cavalli Liquid Platinum. I went from the AMP1MKII stock, then to the AMP1MKII EX, then to the AMP8 stock, and then the AMP8EX. What I found was that because of the Cavalli LP's intimate sound the AMP8's made it more "punchy". Not to say there was any distortion, there was none, but it was more gritty. Which sounds GREAT with rock. However, it sounds not so good with classical, etc. I found the AMP1MKII EX to be absolutely phenomenal when feeding the Cavalli LP via Line Out.

The stock AMP8 can drive just about ANY full-size cans. At the AXPONA audio show in Chicago, I was walking around with the DX228 and trying everything that had a 4.4mm or 2.5mm connection. I must have tried 40 headphones that weekend. They all sounded great via AMP8. Here's an example, I went to see Sennheiser, I know their rep and brought the DX228 to sample the HD820. He was like there's "no way" that little thing is going to push these headphones. I said, ok, can I try? He goes...go for it. I plugged in, put the volume on 127. I remember the EXACT number because my face lit up, and he noticed. He goes, let me hear that. His face registered absolute shock! Then he said, "holy crap" I can't believe this. We laughed and he was telling people about the DX220 for the rest of the day. The same thing happened with Dan from Mr. Speakers, when his President Andy heard how the Ether2's sounded off the DX228, they immediately wanted two. Right then, right there. LOL, @jamato8 and I told them we didn't have any to sell, they said ok, and they ordered two from iBasso the next day or so. So, if it can push the Senn 820's, anything from the Audeze line, anything from the Mr. Speakers line, anything from ZMF, anything from Hifiman (yes even the Susvara)...I'm pretty sure it can handle anything we have. The only thing I didn't try it with was the Abyss lineup. I really wanted to but they didn't have any cables terminated in 4.4mm or 2.5mm available.

Sure the AMP8's output power is a beast itself! Dual 9028PRO and AMP8 almost desktop-grade already.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #6,303 of 13,478
Jul 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #6,305 of 13,478

It is normal that you need to push more volume in Android mode than in Mango, because Android mode volume goes from 0 to 150, while in Mango, it stops at 100.

I'm curious...Is this 100 limit only on DX220? Pure Mango mode on DX200 still goes to 150. I have it set to 110 with Amp9 installed.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #6,306 of 13,478
I'm curious...Is this 100 limit only on DX220? Pure Mango mode on DX200 still goes to 150. I have it set to 110 with Amp9 installed.

Pure Mango = 100
Android = 150

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #6,307 of 13,478
Pure Mango = 100
Android = 150

I realize that.
But is it just for DX220 because this seems to be not the case for DX200 in my hand.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #6,308 of 13,478
The AMP8EX is absolutely AMAZING!

I recently did this with a Cavalli Liquid Platinum. I went from the AMP1MKII stock, then to the AMP1MKII EX, then to the AMP8 stock, and then the AMP8EX. What I found was that because of the Cavalli LP's intimate sound the AMP8's made it more "punchy". Not to say there was any distortion, there was none, but it was more gritty. Which sounds GREAT with rock. However, it sounds not so good with classical, etc. I found the AMP1MKII EX to be absolutely phenomenal when feeding the Cavalli LP via Line Out.

The stock AMP8 can drive just about ANY full-size cans. At the AXPONA audio show in Chicago, I was walking around with the DX228 and trying everything that had a 4.4mm or 2.5mm connection. I must have tried 40 headphones that weekend. They all sounded great via AMP8. Here's an example, I went to see Sennheiser, I know their rep and brought the DX228 to sample the HD820. He was like there's "no way" that little thing is going to push these headphones. I said, ok, can I try? He goes...go for it. I plugged in, put the volume on 127. I remember the EXACT number because my face lit up, and he noticed. He goes, let me hear that. His face registered absolute shock! Then he said, "holy crap" I can't believe this. We laughed and he was telling people about the DX220 for the rest of the day. The same thing happened with Dan from Mr. Speakers, when his President Andy heard how the Ether2's sounded off the DX228, they immediately wanted two. Right then, right there. LOL, @jamato8 and I told them we didn't have any to sell, they said ok, and they ordered two from iBasso the next day or so. So, if it can push the Senn 820's, anything from the Audeze line, anything from the Mr. Speakers line, anything from ZMF, anything from Hifiman (yes even the Susvara)...I'm pretty sure it can handle anything we have. The only thing I didn't try it with was the Abyss lineup. I really wanted to but they didn't have any cables terminated in 4.4mm or 2.5mm available.

Yepe! Hd800s is driven like a champ here :)

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #6,309 of 13,478
I realize that.
But is it just for DX220 because this seems to be not the case for DX200 in my hand.

Sorry dude, I didn't realize what you meant. For the life of me I can't remember.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #6,310 of 13,478
Yepe! Hd800s is driven like a champ here :)

Well, they're both 300 ohm's and I was curious if the DX228 could do it justice. Man did it ever deliver!

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #6,311 of 13,478
Now with the DX220EX plus the AMP8EX...there's really nothing that it can't drive. I'll have to find some 600 ohm headphones to throw at it. The headphones that sounded the best on it, for me, were the Susvara by Hifiman. However, $6K for headphones is a bit out of my league. (and the wife would have literally killed me for the life insurance lol)

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #6,312 of 13,478
Now with the DX220EX plus the AMP8EX...there's really nothing that it can't drive. I'll have to find some 600 ohm headphones to throw at it. The headphones that sounded the best on it, for me, were the Susvara by Hifiman. However, $6K for headphones is a bit out of my league. (and the wife would have literally killed me for the life insurance lol)
Buy new in box, demo it, break it :)

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #6,313 of 13,478
Buy new in box, demo it, break it :)
Boy Vince - you really know how to hit a guy when he is down don't you :ksc75smile:! Of course, we know of another fellow member you dropped their $3k device shortly after acquiring it - maybe you all need to start using some pine tar or NFL receiver gloves???

You break it - you bought it, unless you already own it...

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #6,314 of 13,478
Would it be also possible to include a "wrap text" so that the titles show on one screen without spilling out of the screen and getting truncated?
@Paul - iBasso
I have asked the software team to look into this and with other issues posted in this thread.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back