DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #421 of 13,478
Please read carefully this thread to find out that, with well implemented devices like DX200, conversion to DSD lower than DSD512 has no sense, and why it is so (in brief: because a good DAC does it anyway). Then, I doubt that Fiio has implemented on-the-fly conversion to DSD512 or higher :wink:

I believe you are right, and despite the FP performance of A73, it is still a question mark for me how they could achieve on-the-fly conversion (and the quality of their algorithms). Maybe with looong buffering, maxing the clock and dropping the battery life to 1 hour while radiating heat enough for frying an egg. Still I find it pretty interesting that they attempt to do it. Let's wait and see what will come out.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #422 of 13,478
Hah! Just about to post this.

They have several videos up today.

Looking good and fast!

43D7A8E3-B3E5-46BD-B179-909B8BED8C87.jpeg

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #423 of 13,478

Playing games in some of them?

Suspense is killing me...when in US?! How much?!

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #424 of 13,478
Still I find it pretty interesting
That's the primary goal of the marketing :) Also note, that direct PCM and PCM-to-DSD, most probably, will have a (subtle?) difference, but it does not mean that definitely one is better than other!

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #425 of 13,478
Really hope we start seeing more information out soon, specifically on battery life. Also, does anyone know if the previous dx150/200 amp modules will fit flush with the 220? The edges on the 220 seem to look more rounded? Or am I wrong here?

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #426 of 13,478
Really hope we start seeing more information out soon, specifically on battery life. Also, does anyone know if the previous dx150/200 amp modules will fit flush with the 220? The edges on the 220 seem to look more rounded? Or am I wrong here?

All of the press from ibasso says the modules will be backwards compatible. Here's hoping they sit flush.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #428 of 13,478

Looking good and fast!

Looks like the cellular icon is gone from the actual. So, it's probably safe to say that the original graphic that showed a cellular signal strength bar might have been nothing more than a graphic design error.

As to the sound vs. UI discussion, I'm leaning more and more towards "pretty good" sound + a rock solid UI.

I have the R6, and love it. Though wish I could change the amp modules, wish it had an optical out for those rare times I want to connect to an H2 or desktop chain, wish the 4-pole to 2-pole coax worked better (have trouble with 176kHz ALAC files), and wish the list of Playlists could be sorted in alphabetical order.

But I loathe the R3, Opus 3, and N5ii, my other DAPs, for issues around the UI.

The DX220 would fix at least two of the issues I have with the R6, with the changeable amp and the optical out. Most likely, based on the smoothness and speed of the UI in the video, I'll probably get it...I think.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #429 of 13,478
As to the sound vs. UI discussion, I'm leaning more and more towards "pretty good" sound + a rock solid UI.

I have the R6, and love it. Though wish I could change the amp modules, wish it had an optical out for those rare times I want to connect to an H2 or desktop chain, wish the 4-pole to 2-pole coax worked better (have trouble with 176kHz ALAC files), and wish the list of Playlists could be sorted in alphabetical order.
The DX220 would fix at least two of the issues I have with the R6, with the changeable amp and the optical out. Most likely, based on the smoothness and speed of the UI in the video, I'll probably get it...I think.

Right there with you on "pretty good." I'd love "perfect" sound with all the other features, but that doens't seem to be a thing (unless Sony is planning to release a 40th anniversary Walkman with WM1Z sound and all the new bells and whistles). Are your comments about the R6 or the R6 pro? Do they apply equally to the Pro?

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #430 of 13,478
I could careless for FHD screen, and or faster CPU....I want a better cooling DAP for DSD512, and better Components.

Not that dx200 is using any components, it is using 2nd tier components and that is about as flagship as other DAP on the market. But I want 1st tier components which is the highest grade, strictest tolerances, and most expensive :D.....better sound quality Ofcourse.

But that is too much to ask for from a sub 1k.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #431 of 13,478
Right there with you on "pretty good." I'd love "perfect" sound with all the other features, but that doens't seem to be a thing (unless Sony is planning to release a 40th anniversary Walkman with WM1Z sound and all the new bells and whistles). Are your comments about the R6 or the R6 pro? Do they apply equally to the Pro?

I just have the R6, not the Pro.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #432 of 13,478
@Whitigir I hope DX300 will match that level :wink:

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #435 of 13,478
How do you like the SPKM? Keeping that one, or looking to replace it with DX220?

Love SPKM, sound and function wise. I find Solaris to be just as sensitive as my Andromedas, so you might find a slight bit of noise with Solaris and SPKM. I did when I tested them, but not an issue to me with my Andro S after getting used to it and enjoying how great they sound together.

Wouldn't replace my SPKM with anything at this point, but the DX220 interests me for its amp modules and the possibility to use with full size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back