DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 27, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #455 of 13,478
You guys are killing me with these price increases before iBasso has even officially announced a price...

Take a deep breath and let's hope it is closer to the DX200 price. From all the information that has been made available so far it does not appear to be a major upgrade in components (major to me = order of magnitude increase in performance or something like that) and machining a different case shape would not justify a big price increase.

Cheers,
Tim

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #456 of 13,478
I had an elderly friend who did exactly like you and he nearly adopted me.
That how lonely he was !

Fortunately we have enough people and wonderful animals around us. What I don't have is enough DAPs and headphones. :) We also don't have the retail price of DX220 and when the DX300 will be released (yes, we are back to the topic) which makes me want to adopt other DAPs. I would be glad to adopt a few DAPs, DACs and HPs if you know some that are looking for a loving family. :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #457 of 13,478
You guys are killing me with these price increases before iBasso has even officially announced a price...

Take a deep breath and let's hope it is closer to the DX200 price. From all the information that has been made available so far it does not appear to be a major upgrade in components (major to me = order of magnitude increase in performance or something like that) and machining a different case shape would not justify a big price increase.

Cheers,
Tim

"take a deep breath"? No one seems to be worried or having panic attacks. Just stating what would be a price to move forward with and what might not. Not sure why you're interpreting it as something that anyone is overly concerned about.
Seems like just random thoughts posted in the thread to me as folks discuss their thoughts on the matter. Kinda normal while waiting.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #458 of 13,478
"take a deep breath"? No one seems to be worried or having panic attacks. Just stating what would be a price to move forward with and what might not. Not sure why you're interpreting it as something that anyone is overly concerned about.
Seems like just random thoughts posted in the thread to me as folks discuss their thoughts on the matter. Kinda normal while waiting.
I only said that because over the last few pages and above the price has somehow been speculated up from $899 to now $1200. Where does it stop? Should someone throw out $2000 since that obviously would be a better device?

It goes without saying that nobody is forcing any of us to buy and if we don't like the price then simply move on...

So nobody needs to educate me on that.

Try to keep it real though.

Cheers,
Tim

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #459 of 13,478
They speculate $999 here. I'm not disagreeing with you (and admittedly have no basis to do so), I just think it would be insane for iBasso to price the upgrade at $30 more than the current gen, unless they don't care if they never sell another 200 again (which also seems insane, but here's hoping!).

Or drop the price on the DX200 by a 100 or so while increasing the price for the DX220 by a little - basically give folks a free amp module (in dollars) in return for the slightly older package.

I’m still pondering what to buy - I was sort of settling on an AK SR15, then FiiO came around with the M11. My main concern was driving power, since I have some Massdrop cans (HD6XX en HE4XX, harder to drive), plus the Meze 99 classics (easier to drive). I managed to get a hold of a Campfire Andromeda S. So now I’m conflicted - I figure the iBasso option gives me the ability to add amps that will drive any of he above headphones more ‘ideally’ than a solution with a single built-in amp option. Plus the support and alternative firmware options are intruiging.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #461 of 13,478
Or drop the price on the DX200 by a 100 or so while increasing the price for the DX220 by a little - basically give folks a free amp module (in dollars) in return for the slightly older package.

I’m still pondering what to buy - I was sort of settling on an AK SR15, then FiiO came around with the M11. My main concern was driving power, since I have some Massdrop cans (HD6XX en HE4XX, harder to drive), plus the Meze 99 classics (easier to drive). I managed to get a hold of a Campfire Andromeda S. So now I’m conflicted - I figure the iBasso option gives me the ability to add amps that will drive any of he above headphones more ‘ideally’ than a solution with a single built-in amp option. Plus the support and alternative firmware options are intruiging.

See, this makes sense! Put the older hardware on lower price, keep the newer hardware (which as others have pointed out is not orders of magnitude better) close to current pricing, and make everyone happy. I hope they do this, and I wish everyone did.

The AndroS are pretty easy to drive, no?

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #462 of 13,478
I only said that because over the last few pages and above the price has somehow been speculated up from $899 to now $1200. Where does it stop? Should someone throw out $2000 since that obviously would be a better device?

It goes without saying that nobody is forcing any of us to buy and if we don't like the price then simply move on...

So nobody needs to educate me on that.

Try to keep it real though.

Cheers,
Tim

Ahhh, I see where you're coming from.

It was me who threw out $1200.... Not as speculation, but just a random number to make the point that depending on the price, I would either buy it quickly, or hold off.
I thought the way I wrote it was careful to not be seen as speculation.
Apologies to anyone who read my comment and thought I was speculating as to the price.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #463 of 13,478
See, this makes sense! Put the older hardware on lower price, keep the newer hardware (which as others have pointed out is not orders of magnitude better) close to current pricing, and make everyone happy. I hope they do this, and I wish everyone did.

The AndroS are pretty easy to drive, no?

The Andro S is very easy to drive - but the difference is still pretty clear between my iPhone 6s Plus and my Echobox Audio explorer (which sounds nice, but has battery issues, the worst Wi-Fi in the world and an ancient clunky OS). So I would like something that will do them justice.

So we don't even know if the DX220 will come with an amp included in the price?

Every iBasso DAP ever has always had an amp. I don’t see see them selling a product that can’t be used out of the box...

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #464 of 13,478
So we don't even know if the DX220 will come with an amp included in the price?

Every iBasso DAP ever has always had an amp. I don’t see see them selling a product that can’t be used out of the box...

Yeah, it'll have an amp, but lots of folks like playing with the different options, and I would imagine that the Nutube amp is something most ppl who are interested in this DAP are looking forward to. That said, it all comes down to pricing. Time will tell what they're asking for it with the stock amp, and what they want for the next gen add-on amps.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #465 of 13,478
Yeah, it'll have an amp, but lots of folks like playing with the different options, and I would imagine that the Nutube amp is something most ppl who are interested in this DAP are looking forward to. That said, it all comes down to pricing. Time will tell what they're asking for it with the stock amp, and what they want for the next gen add-on amps.

Heck yes, the Korg NuTube in amp 9 is what got me thinking about giving iBasso another looksee in the first place. How will it sound? I have no idea. But I'm damn curious about it, and for $150'ish, or even $200'ish, I'd pick one up for sure if I got the DX220.

For a little while, I was also exploring a Fiio X7 Mii, because of the AM3D module, which I'm also really curious about. I was teetering back and forth for a few days, and then saw the DX220 announcement, which, if my "guesses" are right, wins my internal conflict on which to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back