DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 28, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #4,306 of 13,478
Not really but we all apparently hear differently, which is well established. The DX200 is very dynamic and layered and I don't care for a dark sounding piece of equipment.
Yup. That and also we have different headphones/iems.

I also don't care for dark sigs as well but will prefer crisp and analytical over smooth and laid back.

May 28, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #4,308 of 13,478
Not really but we all apparently hear differently, which is well established. The DX200 is very dynamic and layered and I don't care for a dark sounding piece of equipment.

Lol if we all hear different how can you say not really. What is the standard? Can we really classify something so subjective as an absolute? I never said the dx220 sounded dark, I said the m11 sounded clearer/more open and livelier. I don't expect anyone to take my opinion as gospel.

I reccomend listening to both side by side if possible. I wouldn't presume what people classify as dark or neutral or whatever. I just described what I heard. If you want more detail you can head over to the m11 thread.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #4,310 of 13,478
To me it is very easy to tell warmth to neutral in sound signature. It comes down to digital music in basic and it principles.

1/ digital musics and files with multi-bit and PCM such as WAV, FLAC, needs algorithms and DSP to come into a DAC which convert by Sigma-Delta system and come out as Analog signals. The implementations and designs around this architecture will affect the outcomes.

2/ DSD files is a 1 bit direct stream. It was called direct stream because it can no longer be processed and Add or subtract, or losses any informations any further. It only comes to the high-pass and low pass filter before being amplified. This is the end of it chain, the analog output.

So, having a file of the same track which is FLAC and then compare to the same FLAC but is processed by Xivero or HQplayerPro to DSD. You will expose 2 different situations

A/ FLAC being processed with DSP and algorithms of the DAP maker
B/ DSD processed by your PC.

The DSD is the most neutral one because it is offline converted by the algorithms itself. Even if different programs and algorithms is using different Sigma-Delta Modulators, it shouldn’t be too different from neutral. The most trust worth algorithms are HQplayerPro and Xivero, but with HQplayerPro, you can tinker around the algorithms, you choose what DSP you want and or pure Delta-sigma modulator only. I chose HQplayerPro and referred to the DSD file as Neutral. I also deemed it Neutral because I compared the same FLAC and using different software algorithms, and the HQplayerPro on the same player is always more neutral.

Now, with all of that out of the way, a FLAC and DSP by the Manufacturers will sound significantly different than an offline DSD processed FLAC, and there are many reasons for this. So, if the FLAC has a lot of warmth ? That means the DAP itself is warmth....if the FLAC itself is similar or close to the DSD, then it is neutral......and if it is brighter than the DSD then it is a brighter DAP. Period

Yes, I understand sound is subjective , but there is a limit guide lines to everything, and this is what I used and deemed something to be neutral

May 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,311 of 13,478

DX220 > AMP8 > Zen White
I love almost everything about this dap, especially the screen. Only a few things i don't like but those are just my personal taste. Battery life is kinda short. If im not wrong, its shorter than dx200. The wheel looks cheap. The color of the case is so ugly and the dap runs kinda hot.
But overall i love this dap. So much improvements from the dx200.
Dont use the case that will solve two of your issues.

May 28, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #4,312 of 13,478
To me it is very easy to tell warmth to neutral in sound signature. It comes down to digital music in basic and it principles.

1/ digital musics and files with multi-bit and PCM such as WAV, FLAC, needs algorithms and DSP to come into a DAC which convert by Sigma-Delta system and come out as Analog signals. The implementations and designs around this architecture will affect the outcomes.

2/ DSD files is a 1 bit direct stream. It was called direct stream because it can no longer be processed and Add or subtract, or losses any informations any further. It only comes to the high-pass and low pass filter before being amplified. This is the end of it chain, the analog output.

So, having a file of the same track which is FLAC and then compare to the same FLAC but is processed by Xivero or HQplayerPro to DSD. You will expose 2 different situations

The DSD is the most neutral one because it is offline converted by the algorithms itself. Even if different programs and algorithms is using different Sigma-Delta Modulators, it shouldn’t be too different from neutral. The most trust worth algorithms are HQplayerPro and Xivero, but with HQplayerPro, you can tinker around the algorithms, you choose what DSP you want and or pure Delta-sigma modulator only. I chose HQplayerPro and referred to the DSD file as Neutral. I also deemed it Neutral because I compared the same FLAC and using different software algorithms, and the HQplayerPro on the same player is always more neutral.

Now, with all of that out of the way, a FLAC and DSP by the Manufacturers will sound significantly different than an offline DSD processed FLAC, and there are many reasons for this. So, if the FLAC has a lot of warmth ? That means the DAP itself is warmth....if the FLAC itself is similar or close to the DSD, then it is neutral......and if it is brighter than the DSD then it is a brighter DAP. Period

Yes, I understand sound is subjective , but there is a limit guide lines to everything, and this is what I used and deemed something to be neutral
Well to me the Fiio 11 sounds more like the DX200 with its stock amp. The dx220 has more bass, and thicker sound which I prefer. The Fiio UI and speed is top notch.

May 28, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,313 of 13,478

So many factors decide how the end user hears things, the shape of a person's ear, their hearing accuracy. The amp and power stage the impedance of the headphones and output. The LPF, and on and on... I didn't say dark or neutral in my initial description. I don't like using these terms because of the absolute of the term.

I never said the m11 sounded better or the dx220 sounded dark or implied it sounded worse than the m11. I said 'I' liked (me personally) the sound of the m11 because of said reasons, and they sounded very similar.

It isn't a contest lol. It was just my opinion that was requested by some people.

Ok, don't want to muck up the thread anymore. Enjoy the music :)

May 28, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #4,314 of 13,478
Well to me the Fiio 11 sounds more like the DX200 with its stock amp. The dx220 has more bass, and thicker sound which I prefer. The Fiio UI and speed is top notch.
YEAHH... he Speaks ...!!!!

Agree with this, try a short while M11, for me, the choose of multiple jack is the biggest Benefit compare to any DAP ...

That's all...

May 28, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #4,315 of 13,478
YEAHH... he Speaks ...!!!!

Agree with this, try a short while M11, for me, the choose of multiple jack is the biggest Benefit compare to any DAP ...

That's all...
I agree too from the point of view by 200 vs 220...I have no idea about M11 LOL...so I can not judge
So many factors decide how the end user hears things, the shape of a person's ear, their hearing accuracy. The amp and power stage the impedance of the headphones and output. The LPF, and on and on... I didn't say dark or neutral in my initial description. I don't like using these terms because of the absolute of the term.

I never said the m11 sounded better or the dx220 sounded dark or implied it sounded worse than the m11. I said 'I' liked (me personally) the sound of the m11 because of said reasons, and they sounded very similar.

It isn't a contest lol. It was just my opinion that was requested by some people.

Ok, don't want to muck up the thread anymore. Enjoy the music :)
Trust me, I believe you and I do know exactly what you are talking about :). Otherwise, we would all married the same man/woman LOL!

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #4,316 of 13,478
20190529_114109.jpg
Pack up and Ready to Go...

May 29, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #4,317 of 13,478
The M11 May be good, but from ownership of past models ( in particular the X7mk2) I have zero tolerance for Fiio products. I’ll wait to see if the M11 is as good as it appears.

May 29, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #4,318 of 13,478
The M11 May be good, but from ownership of past models ( in particular the X7mk2) I have zero tolerance for Fiio products. I’ll wait to see if the M11 is as good as it appears.
Which were perfect ?

May 29, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #4,320 of 13,478
And fiio seems to abandon their modular amp system. They said there won't be future dap that support the amp module.
I won't touch their products in near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back