DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 28, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #4,291 of 13,478
Someone might get attracted or convinced to get Cayin N6ii (?). :wink:
More like that M11 :D.
I’m keeping an eye on that too. Basically any DAP that’s relatively new and has Spotify support I plan to try. M11, DX220, N6ii, and maybe the SP2000 down the road.
The next thing you will hear is that there is no differences from SP2000 to Cayin N6ii . Further confused eh ? Trust your ears hahah

May 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #4,294 of 13,478
I just received my replacement DX220 (first one had a defective volume control) and I'm now testing various tracks on it. Everything was sounding fantastic until I tried the USB DAC mode... The sound stage narrowed to almost a mono sound, and it sounds really compressed. I checked the default output format in Windows (set to 24~192), and no change. I didn't have an issue using my FiiO X5II as a USB DAC, and it sounded fantastic. What am I missing here? I looked for USB audio drivers from iBasso, but didn't find anything. I'm going to do a firmware update on the player and see if that changes anything. I really want to get this sorted out as I use this feature a LOT at home. I have terabytes of music on my laptop and home server, and the women in my house don't share my musical tastes (and also don't appreciate me wringing-out my home system while they're around... God, I need a sound-proof man cave!).

Interesting symptom to add: When I switch back to DAP mode from DAC, the same sub-par sound persists until I reboot the DX220.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4,295 of 13,478
Whattt, congratulations! That was an awesome pick up. Good deal ? I hope so. I can’t believe someone already let it go

Yep that was me, I got my 11 today and I agree with HBB, in fact out of the box the m11 sounded a bit better than the dx220 with both my akt8ieii and meze classics. I thought the stage and detail were on par but the m11 had a bit more energy and openness. And of course the UI is smoother and it doesn't get hot and it plays my wma files too.

So instead of sending it back and taking a $160 restocking fee hit I sold it to a fellow head fi member :) I trusted my ears, I had my doubts but hey I'm glad I tried m11.

Enjoy dx220! it's a fantastic dsp.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #4,296 of 13,478
I just received my replacement DX220 (first one had a defective volume control) and I'm now testing various tracks on it. Everything was sounding fantastic until I tried the USB DAC mode... The sound stage narrowed to almost a mono sound, and it sounds really compressed. I checked the default output format in Windows (set to 24~192), and no change. I didn't have an issue using my FiiO X5II as a USB DAC, and it sounded fantastic. What am I missing here? I looked for USB audio drivers from iBasso, but didn't find anything. I'm going to do a firmware update on the player and see if that changes anything. I really want to get this sorted out as I use this feature a LOT at home. I have terabytes of music on my laptop and home server, and the women in my house don't share my musical tastes (and also don't appreciate me wringing-out my home system while they're around... God, I need a sound-proof man cave!).

Interesting symptom to add: When I switch back to DAP mode from DAC, the same sub-par sound persists until I reboot the DX220.
I had this exact issue, I mentioned it here but nobody else commented either way so assumed it was just me. I also had left and right channel dropping out leaving me with the same mono sound occasionally along with occasionally the dap behaving like it was off when it was on. I contacted Paul and he suggested a factory refresh with beta software and sent instructions, after that the left right drop issue has completely gone along with the not waking up issue. I'll try the dap mode tonight to see if that was also fixed by the refresh.

May 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #4,297 of 13,478
Yep that was me, I got my 11 today and I agree with HBB, in fact out of the box the m11 sounded a bit better than the dx220 with both my akt8ieii and meze classics. I thought the stage and detail were on par but the m11 had a bit more energy and openness. And of course the UI is smoother and it doesn't get hot and it plays my wma files too.

So instead of sending it back and taking a $160 restocking fee hit I sold it to a fellow head fi member :) I trusted my ears, I had my doubts but hey I'm glad I tried m11.

That is all that matter :) . I am glad you found your player and sided with M11. Congratulations to both of you. Don’t forget to enjoy the music

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #4,298 of 13,478
Baby be mine ! My favorite album (thriller) in DSD512 :wink: by your very well known HQplayer4Pro
Yes
Yes
Dx220 with DSD512 is awesome!

43046518-4B17-4215-B24C-67D02FB901D9.jpeg

May 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4,299 of 13,478
Baby be mine ! My favorite album (thriller) in DSD512 :wink: by your very well known HQplayer4Pro
Yes
Yes
Dx220 with DSD512 is awesome!

Are you putting the RF stuff on the cards? I mentioned this before. I have a full sheet of it but only put it on one card and haven't compared but curious about your opinion.

I am listening to Dire Straights live and and have never heard it so dynamic and real sounding, huge soundstage and excellent layering. Using the Utopia or the SR1. The dynamics on the DX220 are insane. Excellent timbre on the piano.

May 28, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4,300 of 13,478

The USB/DAC driver is the same one as for the DX200 etc. Just download that one for the PC and install and you are set. I think it is in the second row on the download page for iBasso.

May 28, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4,301 of 13,478
Are you putting the RF stuff on the cards? I mentioned this before. I have a full sheet of it but only put it on one card and haven't compared but curious about your opinion.

I am listening to Dire Straights live and and have never heard it so dynamic and real sounding, huge soundstage and excellent layering. Using the Utopia or the SR1. The dynamics on the DX220 are insane. Excellent timbre on the piano.
I did for Dx200, and there is no need for Dx220. Yes, I agree with Dire Straits and their instruments on dx220, very realistic indeed

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #4,303 of 13,478
I had this exact issue, I mentioned it here but nobody else commented either way so assumed it was just me. I also had left and right channel dropping out leaving me with the same mono sound occasionally along with occasionally the dap behaving like it was off when it was on. I contacted Paul and he suggested a factory refresh with beta software and sent instructions, after that the left right drop issue has completely gone along with the not waking up issue. I'll try the dap mode tonight to see if that was also fixed by the refresh.

So, you've had the same issue. I'm interested to hear if it's solved for you. I installed the latest firmware, but it didn't solve my issue.

The USB/DAC driver is the same one as for the DX200 etc. Just download that one for the PC and install and you are set. I think it is in the second row on the download page for iBasso.

I installed this driver (with much trouble... I hate Windows 10) but it didn't help. Half the times I plug the DX220 in via USB, I get a "device not recognized" popup. I had to disable driver signature enforcement to install the driver, and it is now installed, but it didn't make any difference in the sound.

May 28, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #4,304 of 13,478

Now this is interesting. So the DX220 was more laid back and darker sounding?

Maybe I will wait for the M13 after all.

May 28, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #4,305 of 13,478
Now this is interesting. So the DX220 was more laid back and darker sounding?

Maybe I will wait for the M13 after all.
Not really but we all apparently hear differently, which is well established. The DX200 is very dynamic and layered and I don't care for a dark sounding piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back