DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 23, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #3,841 of 13,478
Hi guys, sorry if it's a wrong thread to ask that, but can you recommend a portable dac/amp to match DX220 sonically and of similar price? thank you!

I have a DX220 and a Sony zx300 that is cheaper, but a nice piece of kit. For ultimate portability I have a HiBy R3.
For an alternate to the DX 220, I would look at the Sony and the HiBy R6 Pro. If you are going to be carrying it, I would pick either the Sony or the HiBy R3. Neither of them get hot like the DX 220 or the HiBy R6 Pro.IMHO

May 23, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #3,842 of 13,478
I don't think there's an ibasso dap that he likes:

It only needs 1 minute of viewing. :wink:

Love the 150

Enjoyed 200 with Amp 8 later. First try with 200 was stock amp before 10+ F.W.'s was not great experience. Most do not rec that original amp aside from the most dry/analytical listeners.
I did not bash the 220 at all. Quite the opposite actually. Paul was great to me when my 150 had an issue. I mentioned that in the vid as well as iBasso's great follow up via FW updates.
FiiO has been announcing things with far off release dates. I had no real awareness of it aside from a couple short reviews that talked like it was a hybrid phone/DAP. Sounded legit as FiiO throws pasta on the wall via sheer volume of items and some stick.

After playing with crazy priced DAP's with my money I am happy to be enjoying 2 under $1000 dollar DAPs at a time when I thought those days were in the past. These are both great deals and I said so. I am really enjoying a DAP built in 2104 as my final personal choice.
You folks enjoy. It is a great DAP (220) by a great company. I will not gum up the thread with debates about opinions. i did not expect Summer 2019 to be bringing 2 (so far) affordable fast easy to use great sounding players. I was awaiting Sony to announce a nutzo priced follow up to the WM1Z. Both of these beauties were not on my radar as being priced as they are.

Finally some nice surprises. You folks take care and enjoy.

May 23, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #3,843 of 13,478
My DX220 after about 50 hours of wonderful music...just a moment ago it is turned off and don't no longer lights up. I have tried to press the ON botton also for ten seconds but... nothing to do. The battery was about at 70% and now the DX220 seems to be died. What can I do? Is there a buttons combination for have a recovery mode or is there another way to try a startup?? Any suggestions will be appreciated....... thanks guys.

Try to hold on/off power switch and play/pause at the same time for 10 seconds. If nothing happens insert the USB-C charge again then hold power button down for 10 seconds and let’s see what happens. Keep doing this until it turns on.
I did this way with my DX200, DX200TI before and now DX220.

May 23, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,844 of 13,478

It only needs 1 minute of viewing. :wink:

Love the 150

Enjoyed 200 with Amp 8 later. First try with 200 was stock amp before 10+ F.W.'s was not great experience. Most do not rec that original amp aside from the most dry/analytical listeners.
I did not bash the 220 at all. Quite the opposite actually. Paul was great to me when my 150 had an issue. I mentioned that in the vid as well as iBasso's great follow up via FW updates.
FiiO has been announcing things with far off release dates. I had no real awareness of it aside from a couple short reviews that talked like it was a hybrid phone/DAP. Sounded legit as FiiO throws pasta on the wall via sheer volume of items and some stick.

After playing with crazy priced DAP's with my money I am happy to be enjoying 2 under $1000 dollar DAPs at a time when I thought those days were in the past. These are both great deals and I said so. I am really enjoying a DAP built in 2104 as my final personal choice.
You folks enjoy. It is a great DAP (220) by a great company. I will not gum up the thread with debates about opinions. i did not expect Summer 2019 to be bringing 2 (so far) affordable fast easy to use great sounding players. I was awaiting Sony to announce a nutzo priced follow up to the WM1Z. Both of these beauties were not on my radar as being priced as they are.

Finally some nice surprises. You folks take care and enjoy.

Sorry but I have 2 quick questions if I could.

Does m11 have as big as soundstage as dx220? And does it get hot? I'm just curious as the price seems really good.

May 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #3,845 of 13,478
My dx220 is acting wonky, it's done this about 4 times in the last day. I go to hit the power button to wake up the screen and everything goes silent and the screen won't wake up.

I have to hold the button to shut if off (I guess) with a very loud pop! Then I can restart and resume listening.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've got about 3 or so weeks in my return window. I've tried the factory reset already. It's pretty strange behavior- almost like a short or something. Also anyone else have high bitrate wma files crashing their unit?

My friend, well former friend :frowning2: from UK sent me many great recordings dcc and limited masters and they were all high bitrate wma, she thought they sounded better. But anyways I can't play any of then as they crash the dap.

Already sent sample to Paul.

May 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #3,846 of 13,478
Sorry but I have 2 quick questions if I could.

Does m11 have as big as soundstage as dx220? And does it get hot? I'm just curious as the price seems really good.

I'm hearing my EX1000 without any sense of warmth that might come from the mojo, Calyx M or WM1Z which seems to go hand in hand with a more intimate playback.
Both DAP pretty neutral and let the transducers do their thing.
I thought 220 had a heat issue but it was only when using PEQ function. So neither is unusually hot.

May 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #3,847 of 13,478
It's more than an add-on, the size of the update image file is around 650MB. This is made by @WindowsX, you can check out the details at his website http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/portable-products/
Has anyone actually bought the Fidelizer ROM upgrade for $99 and with the DX220 can you tell me what real world improvements you have noticed? I can hardly notice the differences in SQ with different digital filters selected so if the changes are very nuanced then not sure it makes sense to purchase.

May 23, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #3,848 of 13,478
I'm hearing my EX1000 without any sense of warmth that might come from the mojo, Calyx M or WM1Z which seems to go hand in hand with a more intimate playback.
Both DAP pretty neutral and let the transducers do their thing.
I thought 220 had a heat issue but it was only when using PEQ function. So neither is unusually hot.

Yes I'm using the peq, but the soundstage? Lol Is it as wide as dx220? 220 seems to have a very big, 3d type stage compared to my other daps.

It truly sucks that I can't demo crap where I live as far as daps go. Only Sony at magnolia store in best buy. And I love Sony but I love the streaming too. So all these other daps, I probably like most in US have to rely on other's impressions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #3,849 of 13,478
My dx220 is acting wonky, it's done this about 4 times in the last day. I go to hit the power button to wake up the screen and everything goes silent and the screen won't wake up.

I have to hold the button to shut if off (I guess) with a very loud pop! Then I can restart and resume listening.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've got about 3 or so weeks in my return window. I've tried the factory reset already. It's pretty strange behavior- almost like a short or something. Also anyone else have high bitrate wma files crashing their unit?

My friend, well former friend :frowning2: from UK sent me many great recordings dcc and limited masters and they were all high bitrate wma, she thought they sounded better. But anyways I can't play any of then as they crash the dap.

Yes, I have experienced the first issue you describe (exactly the same symptoms) twice since I got my DX220 a week ago.

May 23, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #3,852 of 13,478

Mine acted like that right after finished firmware upgrade. I plugged the power, then it started charging. After that everything is normal.

May 23, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #3,853 of 13,478
Indeed....
Do we both have faulty devices? Or is this a software bug?

Have you ever experienced audio cutting out left or right channel intermittently shortly after starting to listen? I have and wonder if it is related.
I have the same problem with channels two or three times.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,855 of 13,478

That is likely a short somewhere ? Loud pop with related problems is never good

I love WAV better than FLAC when straight rip from CD , but FLAC is easier to edit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back