DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #8,281 of 22,021
Thanks for all the assistance. I ended up returning Neutron Pro. It wasn't to my liking.

I've been using Poweramp Alpha and like it quite a bit. It does DSD and standard hirez really well. I think the stock player and Mango sound much better than everything else I've used with the DX200 though.

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #8,283 of 22,021
Yeah, DSD will need the USB Audio Player Pro to work properly. Though I don't think UAPP sounds as good as Neutron. There are more dynamic and finesses with Neutron. Better yet, Neutron can be used on stock firmware without custom firmware

Did you hear it with AMP3 module ? If you have not, then you owe it to yourself to audition it whenever possible. What I am hearing here is something extraordinary for such an affordable price out of Utopia balanced. That is exactly what I am using

Yes, I am using AMP3 that day. I plugged my microsd to test my songs with.
I have amp1, amp2, amp3. Don't know if I'll buy another cable with 4.4 mm balanced for AMP4 if it is intended for that or not.
I just believed AKM4497 chip dac is a little bit better detail than 9028PRO; well, implementation of circuit topography must be accounted for that also.
It's like a refreshing of fresh air blowing through your ears when using the SP1000SS, similar to Utopia used with DX200 combo and switch to DX200 > ALO SS6 > Utopia ( DHC Comp 4 Silver cable ).
1000CU is tad warmer than 1000SS version.
I know that you opened the 1Z before to do your silver cable again. Did you see Sony use any off the self DAC or Sony's propriety only dac design chip? Even the vendor did not know or answer anyway.
Of course, DX200 pricing is excellent when comparing to those top DAPs mentioned above. I have no complain. It's like you don't miss anything when you place all 4 DAPs see by side.
Like I said, I don't think I can shed > $3K for any DAP. I don't think it's worth it.

But for 2 channel system is another story. Some of my products increase in prices as time goes by.
I want my wife to enjoy her opera and jazz.
For me classic and the rest.
and able to show my son(17) the difference between that iPhone of his vs the rest of other mediums: vinyl, tape, sacd, cd and at least 16/44 and higher rez music sounds like through speakers.
No money for reel-reel though. That hobby is dam expensive.

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #8,284 of 22,021
I have amp1, amp2, amp3. Don't know if I'll buy another cable with 4.4 mm balanced for AMP4 if it is intended for that or not.
I just believed AKM4497 chip dac is a little bit better detail than 9028PRO; well, implementation of circuit topography must be accounted for that also.
It's like a refreshing of fresh air blowing through your ears when using the SP1000SS, similar to Utopia used with DX200 combo and switch to DX200 > ALO SS6 > Utopia ( DHC Comp 4 Silver cable ).
I know that you opened the 1Z before to do your silver cable again. Did you see Sony use any off the self DAC or Sony's propriety only dac design chip? Even the vendor did not know or answer anyway.
Of course, DX200 pricing is excellent when comparing to those top DAPs mentioned above. I have no complain. It's like you don't miss anything when you place all 4 DAPs see by side.
Like I said, I don't think I can shed > $3K for any DAP. I don't think it's worth it.

But for 2 channel system is another story. Some of my products increase in prices as time goes by.
and able to show my son(17) the difference between that iPhone of his vs the rest of other mediums: vinyl, tape, sacd, cd and at least 16/44 and higher rez music sounds like through speakers.
What FW are you using? I have stuck with 2.3 as I don't find any limitations for my own use and it is, IMO, the best sounding. The current FW 2.5 would be next. 2.3, the Utopia and the Twau V2 cable surpasses everything I now own and have heard and that makes for great fun as I sit here/lie here, after having surgery on both feet one week ago. So time for listening and comparing.

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #8,285 of 22,021
What FW are you using? I have stuck with 2.3 as I don't find any limitations for my own use and it is, IMO, the best sounding. The current FW 2.5 would be next. 2.3, the Utopia and the Twau V2 cable surpasses everything I now own and have heard and that makes for great fun as I sit here/lie here, after having surgery on both feet one week ago. So time for listening and comparing.

Yes, I thought FW 2.3 gave me the blackest background too.
I am on 2.5 now due to AMP3 because K10C and Utopia cables are 2.5 mm balanced. I never in balance before so I want to try. It's been very good so far due to more power and very small details from music coming out.
Probably, I will test 2.3 again with AMP2 and test it with other hp like Aeon and ie800 and P7 with DHC cable as well.
I want to get 2.5mm to 2.5mm balanced out to my ALO CDM balanced in and test it also; CDM produces a very good synergy and details oriented too for K10C and Utopia.

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #8,286 of 22,021

Fair enough, the crazy thing is that DX200 is totally playing ball with Top Tier players. The nuances differences are so little, and it will mostly come down to "synergy of pairing" and the type of genres that a person preferably listen to.

Technically speaking AKm4497 is inferior to ES9028Pro. The ES9028Pro has broader Dynamic range with more power consumption and prowess in comparison. WM1Z is all Sony Proprietary for the DAC. The SP1000 utilize flimsy Ribbon cables to connect internally just like it other sibling AK380, and DX200 has it directly on board. Then you just can not swap Amp modules with SP1000 :D.

I have been a fan of Walkman since the beginning, and I love what Sony does. But I can tell you this, DX200 is ground breaking in Performances alone, and pricing is a Huge Unbelievable Bonus. I will be honest with many people here that I too was skeptical toward what Ibasso has been marketing...such as Dual Desktop Tier DAC ES9028Pro.....and 6VRms Output....hell, that is 2-3X as much as any A&K....Until James reported that Dx200 and the new Amp3 is on "par" with WM1Z, and that was when it ticked my curiosity. It turned out that he was correct, and in a sense, the DX200 does better than WM1Z. I confirmed this by connecting Dx200z+amp3 into Large stereo system and my Stax 009 system as well as my Utopia and SA5000.

Dx200 has such expansiveness in a holographical senses that is totally spherical and immersive. It is similar to Wm1Z but larger, taller, deeper. The sound signature of DX200 is very spacious and vividly energetic but no harshness on extension or treble sibilants

Wm1z has more dynamic in it timbres and resolutions, but the soundstage is more narrow, and the tonal body is warmer in comparison. This makes Wm1Z to have such Intimidating Vocal and very forward, and so vocal and string instruments also carries more emotions and soul into it. The signature of WM1Z is intimidating, Mellow and touching

The 2 players are so much toes to toes that it is crazy to think Dx200 can do such thing.

I don't know if anyone would value the ability to custom their own Play back App, but I do, and each playback app has it own DSP that slightly alternate the signature of the sound quality as well. Android used to be so closed up in regard to audio quality and 3rd party DAC, but no longer, with Android 6.0 on Dx200. The easy custom firmware that needs no "root" access to flash, or install. Then the best of all is how Ibasso Designed the Swapable amp module. The socket mechanism design makes it so that it is impossible for anyone to take out the amp-module accidentally or intentionally....

I just want to congratulate Ibasso for "achieving such ground breaking performances out of a portable player" and I personally send my appreciations toward @Paul - iBasso
@ Ibasso for leading his company and producing such Down to earth honesty in the direction of instead where everything Audiophile related would have a ridiculous "inflated" pricing which comes together with the "oh, it sound good, it has to be expensive..."...or taking advantages of the people who think "oh, it is expensive, it has to sound good", Ibasso had brought forth the product of top tier quality and full of enthusiasm in their heart to the market at such affordable price. Once again, let's just say that, thank you Ibasso!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #8,287 of 22,021
If some who got both DX200 and LPG side can tell me how both sound especially soundstage and micro details will be appreciated.
Here is a tricky questions, do you think all the bugs from the firmware will be fixed and the player will run perfectly in 3 months from now? I know that is hard to predict but from what i am reading DX200 is a even better sounding player then more expensive SP1000, both as music player and USB DAC:)

When comparing DX200 w/AMP3 to LPG, I find DX200 to have a little wider soundstage and more natural tonality, similar retrieval of details but DX200 pushes further on micro-detail level. One thing that makes DX200 stand out in comparison to LPG is the velvety texture of sub-bass rumble (I hear DX200 going deeper), and also naturalness of the tonality. That overall level of DX200 w/AMP3 natural tonality spoiled a lot of other DAPs for me, making other stuff sound a bit digital/artificial.

I used U18 w/1960 4wire for comparison, balanced terminated with 3.5mm adapter for LPG.

ibasso_amp3_vs_lpg-05.jpg

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #8,288 of 22,021
I don't really like Mango player app, too much emphasis into warmth and sub-bass in comparison to Neutron player. Have yet to try Poweramp Alpha yet

Poweramp Alpha is voiced right between Mango and Neutron. I thought Neutron was to sibilant. I'm using CF Andromedas with AMP 3. You should give Poweramp a try. The interface is very well laid out, and it supports DSD on the DX200.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #8,289 of 22,021
I purchased it and the Pro version works with my FLAC files. But doesn't work with DSD files properly. Any way to get these to work?
It outputs DSD as DoP by default, but this does not work via Android (yet?). Turn DSD to PCM, and it should work. But for native DSD playback, better to use either Mango, or Neutron with its direct USB driver + USB Audio.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #8,290 of 22,021
You should give Poweramp a try. The interface is very well laid out, and it supports DSD on the DX200.
PowerAmp converts DSD to PCM, and downsamples all to 16/44. Neutron plays PCM natively up to 24/192.

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #8,292 of 22,021
We are working with Neutron and they are doing the changes so Neutron will be customized to the DX200. Full DSD and all resolutions.

It would be amazing to have neutron player native player in android and sound as good as mango player and play wv files :) .

I found annoying to pair the dx200 to hotspot on my iphone i have to always go to the hotspot setting in the settings menu to give dx200 access to hotspot wifi.

Any way to implement a sleep mode / trickle charge like the hugo chord 2.

I want to ideally operate dx200 using teamviewer remote control on a tablet like Huawei Mediapad 3

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #8,295 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back