DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 6, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #8,267 of 22,021
I've been trailing Neutron. I really dislike the interface. I could never get it to work with my DX200 either. The closest I got it to output sound was a high pitched squeal that I had to reboot my DX200 to get rid of. My trial ran out before they implemented the DX200 optimization. Is it working now? How does it sound with the new DX200 optimizations? Is it better than the standard DX200 app and Mango?

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #8,270 of 22,021
I've been trailing Neutron. I really dislike the interface. I could never get it to work with my DX200 either. The closest I got it to output sound was a high pitched squeal that I had to reboot my DX200 to get rid of. My trial ran out before they implemented the DX200 optimization. Is it working now? How does it sound with the new DX200 optimizations? Is it better than the standard DX200 app and Mango?

Hmm, that is interesting I got the high pitched squeal with USB Pro, but not with Neutron Pro, so I stuck with Neutron and Lurkers modded Highby.

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #8,272 of 22,021
Hmm, that is interesting I got the high pitched squeal with USB Pro, but not with Neutron Pro, so I stuck with Neutron and Lurkers modded Highby.

Hmmm. Interesting that it is working for you and Luker. I'm wanting to try the optimization but hesitant to buy if I have the same problems. How do you think the sound is compared to other players?

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #8,273 of 22,021
Hmmm. Interesting that it is working for you and Luker. I'm wanting to try the optimization but hesitant to buy if I have the same problems. How do you think the sound is compared to other players?
It may be due to the modified firmware from @Lurker0. I usually use the stock players, however I do believe that Neutron seems more transparent ( i also checked off the 64bit option). Lurkers modded version of Highby using USB Pro driver also sounds a bit more "energetic" to me at least. Everyone has different perception though so you just need to see if you like it, don't go off of my opinion, but try it you may like it. I also put it on my DX200 and X7 MkII (Neutron).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #8,274 of 22,021
I usually use the stock players, however I do believe that Neutron seems more transparent ( i also checked off the 64bit option). Lurkers modded version of Highby using USB Pro driver also sounds a bit more "energetic" to me at least. Everyone has different perception though so you just need to see if you like it, don't go off of my opinion, but try it you may like it.

Very true on perception. This hobby is very subjective.

It's only $5.99. I think I'll give it a go and see what I find out. If I can't get it to work I'm sure the Neutron Devs will give me a refund....

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #8,276 of 22,021
Yes, I just did reroll it to stock firmware. I got my External USB/DAC feature working again !
I just tried and DX200 in USB DAC mode worked perfectly being connected to my Windows PC! Using 2.5.141L0.

Do I need to change certain settings to get it to work?
Turning on "Generic driver" should be enough, though I'd recommend to turn on 64-bit processing, but disable EQ and any filters and "enhancements". Some pages ago I posted the full set of settings for bit perfect playback in Neutron.
How is the sound compared to other players?
I listen music, not players. Any player that works is good for me.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #8,278 of 22,021
@jerick70
try UAP (usb audio player) to get DSD properly working

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #8,279 of 22,021
If some who got both DX200 and LPG side can tell me how both sound especially soundstage and micro details will be appreciated.
Here is a tricky questions, do you think all the bugs from the firmware will be fixed and the player will run perfectly in 3 months from now? I know that is hard to predict but from what i am reading DX200 is a even better sounding player then more expensive SP1000, both as music player and USB DAC:)

Not really.
Heard the sp1000ss, sp1000cu, wm1z at the SF hp meet in 8192017.
I had k10c with balanced connector with me, DHC Symbiote V3 Silver 8 braided cable.
DX200 came close but not to SP1000SS yet. With the DX200 price, it is very good already. Meaning you don't have to spend 3500 USD to hear the best; DX200 will do.
SP1000CU is warmer than SP1000SS.
WM1Z is a little bit dark but not fair comparison to SP1000SS due to no balanced 4.4 mm connector. I used k10c with 3.5 mm adapter instead.
I probably go to that dealer to demo them again. Well, looking for subwoofers for my 2 channel system anyway.

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #8,280 of 22,021
Yeah, DSD will need the USB Audio Player Pro to work properly. Though I don't think UAPP sounds as good as Neutron. There are more dynamic and finesses with Neutron. Better yet, Neutron can be used on stock firmware without custom firmware
Not really.
Heard the sp1000ss, sp1000cu, wm1z at the SF hp meet in 8192017.
I had k10c with balanced connector with me, DHC Symbiote V3 Silver 8 braided cable.
DX200 came close but not to SP1000SS yet. With the DX200 price, it is very good already. Meaning you don't have to spend 3500 USD to hear the best; DX200 will do.
SP1000CU is warmer than SP1000SS.
WM1Z is a little bit dark but not fair comparison to SP1000SS due to no balanced 4.4 mm connector. I used k10c with 3.5 mm adapter instead.
I probably go to that dealer to demo them again. Well, looking for subwoofers for my 2 channel system anyway.
Did you hear it with AMP3 module ? If you have not, then you owe it to yourself to audition it whenever possible. What I am hearing here is something extraordinary for such an affordable price out of Utopia balanced. That is exactly what I am using

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back