DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,427 of 22,021
  I sold my Sony WM1A. After 500 hours on the Sony, it just didn't have it compared to the DX200. I love the construction and feel of the Sony but for me, it can't match the sound quality. 

Did the same, put up my WM1A for sale. This being said, I think they're fairly close sound quality wise, with a different sig WM1A is still something to behold with that infinitely layered sound... but DX200 is more versatile because it's more powerful, has streaming and well, interchangeable amps.

If you like neutral, wider soundstage and crazy detailed yet musical sig then well DX200 is clear winner (ah and it's cheaper by a decent margin). If you like euphonic, warmer sig WM1A might still be the better choice for your taste (or if you can afford both well good for you!). It will also depend on what your pair them with. It's never clear cut at this level :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #4,429 of 22,021
Jamato, have you tried the 1Z on balance mode after 3-400 hours burn in?

Do you mean the 1A? I don't have the 1Z, though may get it. I compared both mostly using balanced as I feel this is the only way to get the most out of each one. Over 500 hours on the 1A in balanced. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,431 of 22,021
I mean 1Z only.I was never interested in the aluminium 1A.

I see. I guess I will have to buy a 1Z then. Sorry about that. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4,433 of 22,021
I see. I guess I will have to buy a 1Z then. Sorry about that. 
If one had the 1A and sold it for the DX200 and now thinking of buying the 1Z that right there makes no sense what so ever. It scares me.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,436 of 22,021
It is more musical, better dynamics and a deeper soundstage after plenty of burn in. The DX200 is more exciting but not in a tiring way. The WM1A is very good, but the DX200 also has more power and for full sized headphones, on loud passages I get no compression. On loud music with the WM1A some compression can set in but this isn't really the case with IEM's. There the WM1A does fine but again, with IEM's I found that the DX200 offers better separation and more information that surrounds instruments and singers giving a more 3D type of presentation. This isn't out of the box but after 4 to 5 hundred hours of burn in. If you don't have a few hundred hours on the DX200, IMO, you haven't heard the potential of the DX200. 

I also have accumulated several hundred hours of use and just today received my CB12 balanced cable which paired with the IT03 really makes the DX200 sing. I do notice an improvement in soundstage dimensions, even more precise imaging and additional power as reflected in the necessity to reduce volume control about 10 steps to yield the same volume level.

The CB12 is very supple and overall a very nicely constructed cable. I'm kind of spoiled now to go back to the single-ended phones.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #4,440 of 22,021
  And $20 more than the ProStudio Sound & Music price with extra items on US Amazon.

Depends on what B&H charges for shipping and if they include extra items too. There's no item description on their site yet.

Despite the "free shipping" in the Amazon listing, ProStudio Sound & Music added $35 for shipping to my order (at the checkout screen) with the explanation, and I quote "Shipping is calculated automatically and it depends on your address".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back